Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I thank you for all the work you did, but there is definitely a difference in the quality before and after the hack. I checked with 3 different people on the same stereo without telling them whats what and they immediately told the difference. There must be some difference between Medium and High quality. The only thing that I can think of is a different audio codec. It dosent make sense if they are both using the same 64k bandwidth but I cant think of anything else. Any Ideas?

BTW, Could you give me the code for the bitrate hack?

Thanks!
    I dont think anyone thinks they are getting 128kbps. The goal is to get the best quality out of pandora no matter the connection. It would be sweet if we could trick the media server into thinking the pre client was a desktop browser client and get the 128k though.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    That's why I added the URL, which you can see in the screenshots.
    It shows that it's an .mp4 file regardless of what bitrate, with or without
    the wifi hack. I later even made the URL into a real link so I could launch
    it into the browser to look at more closely. There is no difference
    in bitrate or codec between Medium and High. Besides, since
    the major difference between EVDO and Wifi is the available bandwidth
    there'd be zero advantage to having different codecs at the same bitrate.
    As I said above, all I can figure is that maybe somehow some folks
    are getting stuck with the low quality setting, and this is the only way
    to get em out of it.

The bitrate display hack is as follows.
    /var/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.pandora/app/views/nowplaying/nowplaying-scene.html
    add after line 40 (after the "remaining" line)
    <div id="bitrate">000</div>

/var/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.pandora/app/controllers/nowplaying-assistant.jsjsjs
    add after line 303 (again after the "renaming" line)
    $('bitrate').update(timeObject.bitrate);

/var/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.pandora/app/core/model/track.jsjsjs
    add after aprox line 290 (the one that says .... remaingintTime = AppConstants.. etc)
    this.timeObject.bitrate = 0;

Same file track.jsjsjs, $down$ $around$ $line$ $362$ ($with$ $other$ $hacks$ $I$ $can$'$t$ $be$ $exact$) $look$ $for$ $another$ ...
    remainingTime = AppConstants.NEGATIVE.. etc
    Add right after it:
    this.timeObject.bitrate = this.qualityMap.bitrate;

Restart Pandora. You should see 000 displayed below the progress bar and
    then it'll change to the actual bitrate when the track loads.
    If you dig around in track.jsjsjs $and$ $look$ $where$ $else$ $this$.$qualityMap$.$bitrate$
    is used, you can see it ultimately controls the displayed track length
    (is mapped to a bytes/sec value first) so it has to be accurate or the
    track length will be broken.

ian
    For me it really depends on the song. Some of the down conversion were done horribly, while others are done well.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    I dont think anyone thinks they are getting 128kbps. The goal is to get the best quality out of pandora no matter the connection. It would be sweet if we could trick the media server into thinking the pre client was a desktop browser client and get the 128k though.
    Daemon:

Is this possible?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    Daemon:

Is this possible?
    [EDIT]
    Sorry, I read the question wrong. No, I doubt we can fool it into using 128kbps
    stream. I've yet to see any evidence that really is such a thing. I need to check my
    proxy servers to see what I get through my desktop.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 12/12/2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I thought I addressed this above, but
    1. No I don't think so. I'm getting the same type of .mp4 file from Pandora
    media servers regardless of whether it's on Wifi or Cell.
    2. There'd be no point in serving up a different codec on Wifi versus EVDO but
    keeping the same bitrate. Wifi's only advantage is more bandwidth
    so the only way to really make use of it, is serve up a higher bitrate file.

ian
    Your 100 percent right, I just still cant understand why! I wish I could show you on my stereo, you would laugh at the quality difference. Anyways, again thank you for your continued help!

Mike
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    Your 100 percent right, I just still cant understand why! I wish I could show you on my stereo, you would laugh at the quality difference. Anyways, again thank you for your continued help!

Mike
    What would be interesting is for you to do the bitrate display hack
    and then undo the wifi hack. If there is a real difference, then my
    suspicion is that you're somehow just stuck at 32kbps for all situations.

ian
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Ill check it out and try it later today. Ill post back once it do it.
    after spending more time with this wifi hack, I've decided that the audio is not of the same quality that it used to be. I'd love to get my hands on the code of pandora before 1.0.0. The quality used to be much closer to the desktop audio. I'm a stickler for audio quality but am ok with "good enough". Something happened where it dropped below my threshold for "good enough". I wish pandora would let me pay them money to access higher bitrates on my pre. Pandora, please take my money!

ps there is a huge difference in audio quality between the desktop and pre. If the desktop is streaming at 64kbps with the same aac+ encoding as the pre, the pre is degrading the quality somehow.
    Last edited by blackbird34608; 12/16/2009 at 10:23 AM.
    agreed, i would pay the 36/yr fee to pandora to get better sound. i cancelled my xm to use the pandora and now have stopped using it as the quality is awful in the car. glad this was posted, as i thought it was me noticing the bad sound.
    For me it still looks like it is on a song by song basis. Some songs sound great, others sound like crap. The highs are clipping and there is static.

I almost thing Pandora changed something to add more lows because of the lack of bass and that caused the highs to crap out.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird34608 View Post
    after spending more time with this wifi hack, I've decided that the audio is not of the same quality that it used to be. I'd love to get my hands on the code of pandora before 1.0.0. The quality used to be much closer to the desktop audio. I'm a stickler for audio quality but am ok with "good enough". Something happened where it dropped below my threshold for "good enough". I wish pandora would let me pay them money to access higher bitrates on my pre. Pandora, please take my money!

ps there is a huge difference in audio quality between the desktop and pre. If the desktop is streaming at 64kbps with the same aac+ encoding as the pre, the pre is degrading the quality somehow.
    I have another palm pre that I can access that has 0.9.12 on? How can i get it to you? Can it be installed on another pre?

Mike

P.S I would pay the 36 per year in two seconds!
    in the pandora source code it says you can Enter a debugging mode by pressing up arrow and @ 4 times. I can't get mine to work. Does this work for anyone else?
    Last edited by blackbird34608; 12/21/2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I cant get it to work either, where is it in the source code?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    After 1.3.5 my quality is back to what it was when I bought the phone! Amazing! Problem Solved. The headset aux mic problem is still going on though! Any thoughts?
    +1 on 1.3.5 fixing the Pandora issues. This basically means that palm botched something in the audio decoding in the last update, but has fixed it now. I couldn't be more pleased! 1.3.5 improves the browser a huge amount too. Sweet!
    I just got the Pixi Plus and have been very disappointed with the sound quality while playing Pandora. I would have been OK with it until I listed to Pandora a few times through my wife's HTC Eris. Wow, her phone sounds like CD quality and is awesome. My Pixi Plus sounds cheap and way too high midrange. Any ideas?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345