Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcamero View Post
    As in it sounds identical to the way it sounded before?
    yeah
    I just loaded it up, and it sounds as good as it's ever sounded. Pandora has never had astounding sound, but it's usable, and much better than FM radio.
    I haven't noticed any change (w/Pandora).
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Mine sounds exactly as dgcamero describes (even with the sound quality switch in Pandora's preferences set to HQ), sounds like some of the really poor quality channels when satellite radio first came out. Definitely degraded by the 1.3.1 update, or by a Pandora update that occurred around the same time? Have those of you who have no problems with the sound quality checked to see if you have the latest version of Pandora? It's so bad for me that I can't imagine how someone can not notice
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I also agree that the Pandora sound quality has degraded after the 1.3.1 update. I noticed it immediately, and came in here and wasn't surprised to see other people complaining about the same issue. Very disappointing.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I noticed this while listening through my PC. I found that I had to use the pandora player (paid sub required) to get the good quality.
    I've noticed it since the last patch while using it in my car. The most noticeable thing for me is bass. I have two 12 inch subs in my car and the subs don't hit like it used to. CD's and MP3s sound fine though.

I have paid for pandora as well and the "High Quality" setting is enabled.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I was going to start a thread until I found yours. I use pandora as my main audio source in my car and it is terrible now. I don't know if it was the update for pandora or the 1.3.1 update, but either way, its not even usable any more. Its really irritating because I mounted the touchstone in my car specifically for this reason. Hopefully we can fix this with an update!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    I was going to start a thread until I found yours. I use pandora as my main audio source in my car and it is terrible now. I don't know if it was the update for pandora or the 1.3.1 update, but either way, its not even usable any more. Its really irritating because I mounted the touchstone in my car specifically for this reason. Hopefully we can fix this with an update!
    Same here. Mine now sounds like a 96kps download or just like Sirius.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do for recourse besides posting here? Anyone contact palm or sprint ( I know they know nothing)?
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk9027866 View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas on what we could do for recourse besides posting here? Anyone contact palm or sprint ( I know they know nothing)?
    I called Palm and have a case set up with them regarding the horrible sound quality. I contacted Pandora Support and told them it sounded horrible too. They replied a couple of times but haven't replied lately. At this point I'm not sure who we should be contacting, but I know I'm completely bored of the CDs in my changer and the radio has too many commercials (FM sounds *better* than Pandora right now tho).

Everyone start putting up a stink!
    Call Sprint
    Call Palm
    Email Pandora-Support at Pandora.com

The sooner people start complaining the sooner we will have good sounding Pandora again :-)
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I emailed Pandora already and I am calling sprint right now as I type this! Everyone stand up and lets fix this problem. Pandora's support email is "pandora-support@pandora.com"
    I used Pandora yesterday and it sounded like crap! What have they done? I mean, if they want to charge more for better quality let us know.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    This is the email I recieved from pandora. It sounds like a step in the right direction:

"We have heard a number of reports of this Michael. We have notified Sprint and Palm. The changes to our application shouldn't have affected audio quality. If an updated version becomes available your phone will notify you when you launch Pandora.

Meanwhile check the preferences on the Pandora app and make sure "high-quality audio" is enabled

- Etienne
    "

Everyone keep emailing them and calling sprint and palm!
    Are the people experiencing the problem heavy data/Pandora users and there is some sort of selective throttling? I am a heavy data user (~3GB/mo) and am having problems. What are your data usage rates?
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I usually use about 2-3 gigs a month.

Nice to know that Pandora is trying to correct the problem.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I just checked and I have the problem too. PalmOS 1.3.1 and newest Pandora app.

It's not a Sprint issue unless they asked Pandora to make a change (and why do that -- Pandora doesn't use that much bandwidth and is hugely popular).

It doesn't appear to be a Palm thing either because audio from the music player sounds the same as prior to 1.3.1 (not that I believe that EQ on the audio channel could make that big a difference, but I had to check).

The codec or encoding parameters have changed, which only Pandora can do. I hope they have a change of heart and restore the original audio quality. This is pretty awful sounding.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    I noticed this while listening through my PC. I found that I had to use the pandora player (paid sub required) to get the good quality.
    I just used the desktop app and as best I can tell, you're right! (it's late and I have to keep the volume turned down below 11 ). How is it that a Google search doesn't turn up other folks clamoring about this? Does no one else notice? If so, perhaps Pandora made the right move.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    I just used the desktop app and as best I can tell, you're right! (it's late and I have to keep the volume turned down below 11 ). How is it that a Google search doesn't turn up other folks clamoring about this? Does no one else notice? If so, perhaps Pandora made the right move.
    I stand corrected. The desktop app sounds WORLDs better than on the Pre. I switched to headphones and did a head-to-head comparison and the difference is night and day.

UPDATE: I got one track to sound good on the Pre, but I can't repeat the process. I switched the HQ mode to off then on (no immediate change, but I bet that's normal because the stream was already buffered). When I went to the next track it sounded great! I jumped forward one more and the quality was awful again. I've tried repeatedly to recreate that without success. Now I question my one success. Could that track have been locally cached?

-darren
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've been running Pandora plugged into my computer playing it
    through its very good sound system, comparing the sound quality of
    Pre's Pandora against the various overlapping tracks I've purchased over
    the years as high quality mp3s played directly from the PC, and I'm not
    seeing a significant difference. The highs are high, the cymbals and lyrics
    are clean, the bass is keeping the sub active. Hearing proper stereo spacial effects.
    I just went through a song pausing/unpausing Pre's Pandora and PC's player alternately
    every 30 seconds to swap between them, and am pretty sure in a blind listening test,
    very few would be able to tell the difference.
    It sounds good, no worse than before 1.3.1, and certainly nothing close to "horrible".

That's not to discount what some here are experiencing, but
    I have to think there's something else causing this. Maybe
    related to the amount of bandwidth it thinks it has available to it,
    that is causing it to drop back to the lower quality setting or something.

BTW, 1.3.1 did fix a long time bug that manifested itself in Pandora (and all
    other streaming audio apps) where it would suck the battery down
    whenever a stream was paused (such as when you unplug the headphone jack
    and forget to kill the app). Pandora uses about 130mA of current
    while streaming. It used to use 300+ mA while paused. Now it
    uses nothing, as it should.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 11/24/2009 at 03:25 AM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast