Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I personally hate patching, I prefer stock everything because I don't want problems and expect stuff to work. But as things stand with the Pre, some patches are unavoidable.

I notice a certain hypocrisy from those who seem determined to deflect any blame from Palm.

When someone complains about broken or missing functionality, people tell them to install patches and stop complaining. Still, when others complain about bugs without an apparent cause, people first accuse them of patching.

You can't have it both ways. If you believe patching is a legitimate substitute for Palm's shortcomings, then accept the complications it creates. There is nothing glorious about patching. Only Palm can and should do the right thing and fix the problems.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    could not have said it better myself....the pre is like the smartphone equivalent of mr. potato head.
    I bought the phone because of the ability to patch. Could of bought a $12.00 TracPhone to make calls on.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    the pre is like the smartphone equivalent of mr. potato head.
    wha,

i um

wha?
    There are four lights.
    or you could just buy all of the parts and build your own phone
    I don't see the point of this. If you want to patch then patch if not fine and don't complain if a patch screws you up. Everyone needs to take some personal responsibility.
    Oh yeah - I'm gonna like this thread.
    Sivan has painted you "tweak freaks" into a corner and now ur all gonna be squirming to defend ur defense of Palm's blatent disregard for the common "non-tweaking" man! (Or common "non-tweaking" woman)
    Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/15/2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Oh yeah - I'm gonna like this thread
    Sivan has painted you "tweak freaks" into a corner and now ur all gonna be squirming to defend ur defense of Palm's blatent disregard for the common "non-tweaking" man!
    Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!
    i think everyone is nice

just hoping i can help patch things up around here
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I personally hate patching, I prefer stock everything because I don't want problems and expect stuff to work. But as things stand with the Pre, some patches are unavoidable.

I notice a certain hypocrisy from those who seem determined to deflect any blame from Palm.

When someone complains about broken or missing functionality, people tell them to install patches and stop complaining. Still, when others complain about bugs without an apparent cause, people first accuse them of patching.

You can't have it both ways. If you believe patching is a legitimate substitute for Palm's shortcomings, then accept the complications it creates. There is nothing glorious about patching. Only Palm can and should do the right thing and fix the problems.
    Is it really necessary to call people out to make your point? I agree with everything you said, but calling people hypocrites is probably not going to generate the kind of response a subject of this nature warrants. Guess its the nature of being anonymous but still.

I'm happy that the OS is flexible enough for patches to be generated, but the constant removing and reinstalling of patches is definitely not what customers should be doing. Based on 1.3.1, I suspect Palm is looking at which patches are popular and implementing some as permanent solutions, text forwarding for one, but I think they should be more aggressive as the whole process can be a bit of an inconvenience. I've had a Pre since day one so I understand the routine, but reading through some of the post I can see some of the newbies are having issues.
    some people never learn do they, lol ,have a beautiful day peeps!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    some people never learn do they, lol ,have a beautiful day peeps!!!
    C'mon Shada, join the party! You're a regular here, and ur always lol'ing like somebody's tickling you everytime you post.
    We're gonna need somebody like you here to keep tempers from flaring.
    100 views and not much action on this thread most likely because there is not much to argue here

pre - preware = samsung rant with a web browser
    100 views and not much action on this thread most likely because there is not much to argue here

pre - preware = samsung rant with a web browser
    opinion + otheropinion = form Rant in a Web browser
    There are four lights.
    I love the versatility that patches offer, but have decided to do without them from now on. The emergency patch repair is awesome at removing patches before OS updates, but it doesn't return the phone to stock, so if you forgot to undo all the changes made by some of the patches (like turning off blinking notification and deleting extra launcher pages) BEFORE running EPR, your phone won't be stock. I didn't have a problem with the 1.3.1 update, but it was a bit more trouble than it was worth to make sure any patch changes didn't screw the update up.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Everyone has different expectations of what the phone should do and everyone has features that they "can't believe wasn't included since xxxxx phone from 200x had that feature".

The reality of the situation is that this is a new phone OS and it will develop over time. Palm has a plan for the OS and we will get enhancements and bug fixes on their schedule. If the phone is missing a feature you can't do without you can either:

1. Patch it
    2. Wait for the feature to be added
    3. Get a different phone

That is the beauty of a relatively open OS, we can do the first option while waiting for option 2 with minimal risk. Yes, the patches might be broken for a few days after an update, but at least to me that is a far better option then having to wait for an unknown amount of time for the feature.

Personally for me, the phone accomplishes everything I need without patches, but many patches are worth the time and effort to install. If you don't think patches are worth the effort, don't install them... it is your loss.
    Well, some things.

First off, you can't go monochrome on us and say that either all patches cause problems or all patches are substitutes. Personally, I have yet to see any patch that is absolutely required for the functioning of the device. Some patches have unknown consequences (LED notification) while others are almost entirely benign (launcher pages).

On webOS, we have the ability to change the fundamental operations of nearly all the aspects of the phone. No other platform can tweak the source code of the device FROM the device itself. As Uncle Ben once said, "With great power comes great responsibility." Sure we can, but most shouldn't, and on other platforms you just couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Grr, double-posts! Dieter - Fix your servers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Well, some things.

....... As Uncle Ben once said, "With great power comes great responsibility." .............
    Heh. The first thing i thought of when you said - 'Uncle Ben' was, of course, rice.
    could not have said it better myself....the pre is like the smartphone equivalent of mr. potato head.
    LMAO
    The Pre is the "tuner" car of smartphones. Calling out Pre tweakers on a Pre forum is like logging into a forum dedicated to car mods and telling everyone they're stupid for not buying a "stock" vehicle off the lot.

I have no interest in or time to mod my car so I bought the make & model loaded with every available option. I enjoy customizing my Pre and wouldn't trade it for any other phone. It worked well enough out of the box but now it's uniquely mine.

Oh, and by reading and following instructions, the current WebOS update only made my Pre faster.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast