Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Arghh!! You're making me play this record again:
    Do you think ANYBODY would expect not to have something as basic as notification nags after half-a-year? They keep saying this phone is so easy to program for, so what the hell is the problem?
    Your gonna call people out with that "blind devotion crap" what the hell kind of response did you think you were going to get? I actually strongly agree with you, but I'm sick of people like you feeling they have to make over the top statements to get their point across.
    Last edited by qst4; 11/16/2009 at 12:54 AM. Reason: context
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    i love how when every update comes I have to worry if the patch I used to silence the dialer pad or another patch that applies functionality that should be standard on the phone may brick my pre voiding the warranty.
    Cease your worry (if it actually exists) - patches will not brick your phone, nor void your warranty.

The warnings are for the protection of those writing the patches. There are no documented instances of a patch bricking the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    How have you been over charged? Over the life of your contract, the Pre is significantly cheaper than most phones. And this site noted the Pre is now being offered on amazon for $79.99. What are you talking about?
    The truth is that his is simply a rant. He didn't buy anything from Palm. If anyone overcharged him, it was Sprint. Sprint was the one that actually bought the Pre from Palm. They don't seem to be on here complaining though...
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    In another thread you described doctoring your Pre before the 1.3.1 update. Why did you do that, if you don't mind? Is this your own method of coping with system updates or do you recommend everybody does it?
    Because I had tremendously tweaked my Pre. Before I blamed an issue on Palm, I wanted to ensure that the issue was not my fault. This is the first time I have doctered my Pre because of an update. The second time I've done it after applying patches that I thought might be causing problems.

Doctoring the Pre is not what I would recommend to folks that are planning to update. As a matter of fact, this was the first time I ever even tried to roll back patches. I've always just downloaded the latest update and run with it.

Having WebOSDoctor is a great tool for those of us that choose to tweak the Pre.

If it makes you feel better, I image my personal computer's initial install of Windows, and reapply it every few months (usually no less than 6, nor more than 12); unless a new version of Windows comes along, in which case I back up personal information, and install new (which is what I did last weekend).

Computer OSs are flaky things, even in the best of circumstances. You play with them, you basically corrupt a baseline. Starting fresh is often a good plan.
    Last edited by hparsons; 11/16/2009 at 01:03 AM.
    I think it's a distinction lost on many here. The difference between fans and critics usually comes down to disappointment.
    And life is way to short to continue bemoaning the shortcomings of something as ubiquitous as a phone. Don't like it? Think there's something better out there? Get it!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post

Lets also keep in mind here that should your phone lock up on you and you are forced to get a replacement through insurance, do expect to be denied your insurance coverage if it is found that you have voided your warranty by hacking the phone and the loss of function is your fault. Of course palm is ok with you hacking your phone as long as it voids your warranty.
    Who has this happened to? Can you name the person, or is this something you've just made up?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it looks like Jon Rubinstein has weighed in on this issue. This is what the CEO of Palm, Inc. said in the NY Times today:

He discounts Android’s chances because, he says, it does not yet have mass appeal. “Android, and the Droid in particular, are designed for the techie audience,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “We are doing a more general product that helps people live their lives seamlessly.”

Unbelievable. I'm shaking my head in astonishment. (and that's a word that i never really use, due to my disdain for it... 'Disdain' too.)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/16/2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Instead I'm seeing Palm chasing carriers and new customers and neglecting to fix issues that make using the Pre difficult. Aside from the sluggishness of the calendar, some of the issues are so simple, lets say, not being able to control the volume and tone of alerts on the device, a major source of inconvenience. And yet Palm hasn't been able to find the time in 5 months to fix it reliably. The list of examples is long.
    The previous Palm device had those features, and keeping it almost drove Palm to bankruptcy. Sorry the new device didn't meet your expectations, but Palm didn't promise those features. Your assumptions aren't their fault.

Palm's new direction was meant to keep them out of bankruptcy, and return them to being a viable company. "chasing carriers and new customers" is part of that plan; likely a necessary part.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The previous Palm device had those features, and keeping it almost drove Palm to bankruptcy. Sorry the new device didn't meet your expectations, but Palm didn't promise those features. Your assumptions aren't their fault.

Palm's new direction was meant to keep them out of bankruptcy, and return them to being a viable company. "chasing carriers and new customers" is part of that plan; likely a necessary part.
    When you buy a pizza, are you promised cheese? No? Why not, because it's a 'basic function' of the pizza? So, to go with ur line of thinking, HP, if you don't receive cheese on ur pizza, that would be ok with you because they never promised it to you. (Plus, the store has been doing slow business lately).
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/16/2009 at 01:41 AM.
  10.    #70  
    Don't like it? Think there's something better out there? Get it!
    Excuses excuses...

The previous Palm device reached its end of life. The platform could not be advanced any further, the hardware was old. It wasn't PIM that killed Palm. In contrast, RIM is doing great catering to business users and consumers with their latest BlackBerrys (before you ask, I'm waiting for their next browser.)

Not at my expense. Fix the problems like an honest business. Marketing will only get them so far on an unfinished device.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I personally hate patching, I prefer stock everything because I don't want problems and expect stuff to work. But as things stand with the Pre, some patches are unavoidable.

I notice a certain hypocrisy from those who seem determined to deflect any blame from Palm.

When someone complains about broken or missing functionality, people tell them to install patches and stop complaining. Still, when others complain about bugs without an apparent cause, people first accuse them of patching.

You can't have it both ways. If you believe patching is a legitimate substitute for Palm's shortcomings, then accept the complications it creates. There is nothing glorious about patching. Only Palm can and should do the right thing and fix the problems.
    I fully agree that patches to fix problems are band-aids that should eventually be removed as Palm fixes the underlying wound.

But many of the patches are to add features or give options that Palm may not be able, or may not want, to provide to all customers.

Homebrew and patches are tools that are used to achieve a goal that differs greatly for each person. They are not a religion. They are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    When you buy a pizza, are you promised cheese? No? Why not, because it's a 'basic function' of the pizza? So, to go with ur line of thinking, HP, if you don't receive cheese on ur pizza, that would be ok with you because they never promised it to you. (Plus, the store has been doing slow business lately).
    Actually, I always order extra cheese when I order a pizza. Part of the knowing what I'm getting thing...

You're making quite a leap with the things you expect, and then using that to define the device.

BTW, the are pizza's that don't have cheese.
    Excuses excuses...
    Let's see, I said "Don't like it? Think there's something better out there? Get it!"
    What part of that is an "excuse"? Do you know the definition of the word?

The previous Palm device reached its end of life. The platform could not be advanced any further, the hardware was old. It wasn't PIM that killed Palm. In contrast, RIM is doing great catering to business users and consumers with their latest BlackBerrys (before you ask, I'm waiting for their next browser.)
    RIM is losing market share.

Not at my expense. Fix the problems like an honest business. Marketing will only get them so far on an unfinished device.
    Sorry you feel that way. Apparently there are many that feel that is worth the price. I believe you had 30 days in which to return it, if you were really that unhappy.

Your disappointment does not mean that Palm is being dishonest.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I would be a smart consumer, return the pizza before taking a bite and making it a final transaction, receive my money and do my business elsewhere.

Likewise if they made a big enough deal about no refunds, I would give the slice a shot, and suck it up to poor decision and lack of informing myself of the establishment and product first.
    apparently there are many who are not happy with their pre, lucky for you because if not than you would not have anybody to start arguments with every day. :-)

why does somebody commit their life to defending a phone and than turn around and tell people to buy another phone??????

usually when somebody has such a constant need to defend something it is a sign of insecurity about what they are defending.
  16.    #76  
    Let's see, I said "Don't like it? Think there's something better out there? Get it!"
    What part of that is an "excuse"? Do you know the definition of the word?
    Telling me to get another device is ducking the issues I raised in this thread.

Actually, the thread started by making an observation, that those who advocate for Palm are telling people to patch instead of expecting Palm to fix things, and at the same time accuse people who come here to troubleshoot problems with the Pre, of supposedly patching and messing up their phone.

I'm saying that although patching can fix an issue in the absence of involvement from Palm, in the end it's not a solution. Patches bring complications elsewhere, especially for users who are inexperienced. There is no substitute for involvement by Palm.
    would you not tell your friends of your bad experince with this pizza parlor????
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    I would be a smart consumer, return the pizza before taking a bite and making it a final transaction, receive my money and do my business elsewhere.

Likewise if they made a big enough deal about no refunds, I would give the slice a shot, and suck it up to poor decision and lack of informing myself of the establishment and product first.
    Well, it's more like sitting down at a restaurant and halfway through the meal the chef says he's busy cooking for the patrons who just walked in.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Well, it's more like sitting down at a restaurant and halfway through the meal the chef says he's busy cooking for the patrons who just walked in.
    I seriously doubt the development team is the same employees that are organizing the international releases except for maybe the general coding for dealing with the other networks hardware (and I don't consider supporting entire different network capabilities a 'minor' feature for the OS and palm as a company).
    no, but for a company with limited resources they should be focusing on 1 device and their new os.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast