Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I did not call out the tweakers, only those that promote patching as a substitute for what should be addressed by Palm.

And your last paragraph is the perfect example of blaming users for their lack of understanding of patching. Any decent product is first designed to be reliable so it helps the user instead of requiring them to develop new expertise.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Faster....that's the placebo effect.....nothing was adding for speed. Still the same laggy Pre (unfortunatly)

sivan...agree with you 100%. I am now done with Palm and Pre and will use my HERO until Palm decides to make it a "real" smartphone (PIM is horrible). I still hope they do, but it will more than likely be at least 6 months or so. This update confirmed my choice. I will still watch PreCentral (best forum site ever) in hopes something changes but will be using the HERO. Go ahead....flame away.
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    Is it really necessary to call people out to make your point? I agree with everything you said, but calling people hypocrites is probably not going to generate the kind of response a subject of this nature warrants. Guess its the nature of being anonymous but still.
    (Actually, I suspect it's going to generate exactly the type of responses he desires)

In sprint of Sivan's accusations of hypocrisy, I haven't seen much "blame game" when it comes to patching. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen many problems caused by patching.

Are there going to be some? Probably some. Is it a major issue - nah, I don't think so.

The truth is, I can take any Windows XP computer, and install two programs that are not only "official" programs, but both are programs used by literally thousands of people, and the two programs combined will cause Windows to crash.

The point I'm making is that any modification you do to any computer (and the Pre is a computer) has the potentital to cause problems.

I have no problem whatsoever recommending patches to take care of particular issues, nor do I have a problem telling people that said patches may have caused problems with the phone. It's not hypocrisy, especially when one is warned that the patching may cause problems.
    i love how when every update comes I have to worry if the patch I used to silence the dialer pad or another patch that applies functionality that should be standard on the phone may brick my pre voiding the warranty.

If I buy a brand new civic and plan to invest enough $$$ to mod it for the price it would have cost me to buy a vet thats cool, but when molding my car for performance I should not have to mod in features like a rear defroster, power steering, power windows, etc. that stuff should come stock as it has since 1985!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I notice a certain hypocrisy from those who seem determined to deflect any blame from Palm.
    I'll bite. What are all the things we should be blaming Palm for exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    over charging consumers for a device that is not up to par with similar devices in the same price range!!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    over charging consumers for a device that is not up to par with similar devices in the same price range!!
    I wasn't aware Palm was forcing you to purchase their product or not allowing you to return it within 30 days of owning if it didn't meet your expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Faster....that's the placebo effect.....nothing was adding for speed. Still the same laggy Pre (unfortunatly)...
    Opinion and supposition.

It's unfortunate your Pre lags and while some of that lag relates to the Pre, much of it relates to the user and steps they take or do not take.

I removed my theme & patches, restored everything I'd moved using mvapp to the original locations, DL'd & installed the update then reinstalled and relocated my preferred patches.

By not clogging up the "var used" with newly installed patches the OS is faster. No placebo effect, nothing to do with the update, just the results following instructions and logically thinking things through.
    I wasn't aware Palm was forcing you to purchase their product or not allowing you to return it within 30 days of owning if it didn't meet your expectations.
    Do you think ANYBODY would expect not to have something as basic as notification nags after half-a-year? They keep saying this phone is so easy to program for, so what the hell is the problem? Do they even USE the Pre as their own personal phone as half-baked as we have to? Doubt it.
    (Three 'as' in one sentence. Hmm.. can't be good.)
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/15/2009 at 10:41 PM.
    they did not I gave them a chance to deliver and they did not

never said I did not make a mistake just said that palm delivered a half *** phone to save their company and to beat the 3gs to the market.

Hyundai has been selling cheap half *** vehicles for 15 years where has that gotten them?

its a good business motto for quick profits but will do more harm than good in the long run.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    How have you been over charged? Over the life of your contract, the Pre is significantly cheaper than most phones. And this site noted the Pre is now being offered on amazon for $79.99. What are you talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by qst4 View Post
    How have you been over charged? Over the life of your contract, the Pre is significantly cheaper than most phones. And this site noted the Pre is now being offered on amazon for $79.99. What are you talking about?
    iphone 8gb $99

rumor has it the 16gb 3gs is dropping to $99 before x mas
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    iphone 8gb $99
    Get an iphone then.
    well this has gone all predictable

seriously can't we patch things up
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    iphone 8gb $99

rumor has it the 16gb 3gs is dropping to $99 before x mas
    As he said, with the current plans available for the iPhone you pay an exceptional amount more per-year with similar 'unlimited' plans as you do with the Pre (something close to $1000 more if I'm not mistaken, it was a headline article right here on precentral with a pretty graph and everything).

Also as stated, you're comparing the value of the iPhone to the Pre, if the iPhone has functionality for the price you want then you should of returned your Pre when you realized it didn't have the features you need in a device and got one that suited you. Palm can't be held responsible if you're a poor consumer.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have no problem whatsoever recommending patches to take care of particular issues, nor do I have a problem telling people that said patches may have caused problems with the phone. It's not hypocrisy, especially when one is warned that the patching may cause problems.
    In another thread you described doctoring your Pre before the 1.3.1 update. Why did you do that, if you don't mind? Is this your own method of coping with system updates or do you recommend everybody does it?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    july 2009 the pre was the exact same price as an iphone 3gs 16gb with video recorder!!!!

multi tasking does not compare to twice the memory, video/voice recording capabilities not to mention the iphone could multitask with a simple update but apple has made it clear that they have no interest in multitasking because of the severe drain on the battery as seen in the pre.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Do you think ANYBODY would expect not to have something as basic as notification nags after half-a-year? They keep saying this phone is so easy to program for, so what the hell is the problem? Do they even USE the Pre as their own personal phone as half-baked as we have too? Doubt it.
    So you were aware of functionality that the phone did not have and continued to use it under your own assumption that the functionality that you particularly wanted would be addressed by Palm in a time frame that you find suitable.

I wish I had that type of control over companies I bought my products from.
  19.    #39  
    Delivering incomplete functionality and untested changes. I think updates 1.2 and 1.3 demonstrate this very clearly.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    As he said, with the current plans available for the iPhone you pay an exceptional amount more per-year with similar 'unlimited' plans as you do with the Pre (something close to $1000 more if I'm not mistaken, it was a headline article right here on precentral with a pretty graph and everything).

Also as stated, you're comparing the value of the iPhone to the Pre, if the iPhone has functionality for the price you want then you should of returned your Pre when you realized it didn't have the features you need in a device and got one that suited you. Palm can't be held responsible if you're a poor consumer.
    alright getting a little tired of this one.....

clearly I am comparing devices not service providers

the off contract prices of each phone show the same price reflection.

unfortunately I have been with sprint for 10 years and this was supposed to be the best (iphone killer) phone that they had to offer, I am not going to switch providers for a better phone.

Most importantly I never said I hated the pre but I am very disappointed in the lack of advancement that was necessary on this phone and OS for th last 6 months.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast