1.    #1  
    After the automatic WEBOS update to 1.3.1 my Pre rebooted and landed on the "Activation Error" screen. Hours later, after numerous phone calls with Sprint and Palm support and two visits to the local Sprint store, they've decided the solution is to exchange the phone which can't happen until four days from now because they have none in stock.

I find it hard to believe that the phone cannot be reset to its original condition, if not by me then by the technicians at the Sprint store but that's apparently the case. They've found no network problem, in fact I've been able to re-activate my old Treo 755 with no problem.

I've tried everything I could think of or find on the internet, including WEBOS Doctor, Jason's Repair Utility, hard resetting, etc., etc., etc.

The Doctor will run and seemingly successfuly complete but when the phone resets I end up back at the screen that says "Activation Error".

Anyone else having or had this issue? Anyone have a clue how this could be remedied?

Thanks!
    yup same here, after the update my phone reset and i ended up at the same screen. i tried webos doctor numerous times and nothing has changed. it seems im going to have to go to sprint store tomorrow to fix this issue. hopefully they dont give me the run around because i really dont want to start with another pre. i bought my pre on launch and have had the same unit since with no problems until now.
    umm... can u make a emergency phone call? cause i belive u may have to activate and i mean what was done when you first got the phone.

call sprint support and hopefully ull get a tech that will help you activate the phone all over again.

and just to let everyone know im winging this one im not sure if this will work
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by acekilla View Post
    umm... can u make a emergency phone call? cause i belive u may have to activate and i mean what was done when you first got the phone.

call sprint support and hopefully ull get a tech that will help you activate the phone all over again.

and just to let everyone know im winging this one im not sure if this will work
    Yes, I can make an emergency call and I can call Sprint repair from my now bricked Pre, but that's all I can do.

As for calling Sprint and getting activated again... been there, done that. First I called Sprint and then got transferred to someone in tech support at Sprint who then sent me over to Palm tech support. Nada. Then I went into the Sprint store, the rep tried everything and then turned it over to a tech in the store. They were unsuccessful but wanted my mysprint login information, which I did not have with me. I returned to the store today with that info and they went through attempting to reactivate the phone, reset the phone, etc. They got on the phone with Sprint support so the network issues could be checked and then they just gave up and said they'd exchange the phone.

I've done WEBOS Doctor seemingly successfully multiple times now, no difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by joebad View Post
    Yes, I can make an emergency call and I can call Sprint repair from my now bricked Pre, but that's all I can do.

As for calling Sprint and getting activated again... been there, done that. First I called Sprint and then got transferred to someone in tech support at Sprint who then sent me over to Palm tech support. Nada. Then I went into the Sprint store, the rep tried everything and then turned it over to a tech in the store. They were unsuccessful but wanted my mysprint login information, which I did not have with me. I returned to the store today with that info and they went through attempting to reactivate the phone, reset the phone, etc. They got on the phone with Sprint support so the network issues could be checked and then they just gave up and said they'd exchange the phone.

I've done WEBOS Doctor seemingly successfully multiple times now, no difference.
    When you say you were able to call make an emergency call or call customer service, did this happen when you were trying to activate the phone? Yesterday, I got my new Pre and I could not get past this stage the entire day. According to customer care, Palm's activation servers were down. It came online later that night and my phone is fully operational.

If you were trying to re-activate your phone, likely you ran into the same issue I did. I hope you get a new phone or problem gets resolved for you.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo1 View Post
    When you say you were able to call make an emergency call or call customer service, did this happen when you were trying to activate the phone? Yesterday, I got my new Pre and I could not get past this stage the entire day. According to customer care, Palm's activation servers were down. It came online later that night and my phone is fully operational.

If you were trying to re-activate your phone, likely you ran into the same issue I did. I hope you get a new phone or problem gets resolved for you.
    Even when you can't activate the phone, the phone allows you to make an emergency call or to call Sprint repair service.

I've had my Pre since June and it's been activated since then, somehow during this software update to WEBOS 1.3.1 something got messed up.

They (the folks a the Sprint store) mentioned that they were currently having a "provisioning problem with Pre's" and suspected that could be the cause of activation failure. It's been long enough now though that I don't think that's possible and they obviously don't either. Since I can't get the new Pre until Thursday and I'm able to switch activation back and forth from my old Treo to the Pre, I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens, just for the heck of it.
    meta-doctor
  8.    #8  
    Good advice, Grizzly. I was unaware of meta-doctor. Since Sprint's going to exchange the phone, I'm not sure I'll take the time to attempt what's required to use meta-doctor although I'd have fun (or an overabundance of frustration) doing it. I do have until Thursday...
    If you can make an emergency call, try to access the sprint menu for resetting the phone. It is accessed by ##786# (##RTN#). First get your MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) from sprint because you will need it to perform the reset. They are specific to each phone and they should be able to give it to you in store or on the customer service line.

After obtaining it, type ##786# and scroll down to the bottom of the menu and click reset phone. You will be prompted for your MSL code. Type it in and confirm the reset. See if that helps with the activation issue.
  10.    #10  
    bpdamas, I've done that innumerable times and it was done by the folks at the Sprint store. I have the MSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by joebad View Post
    bpdamas, I've done that innumerable times and it was done by the folks at the Sprint store. I have the MSL.
    Check out this article and see if it helps you at all. Also, maybe have the Sprint store check out this article. I believe at one point you said you already are getting a replacement phone so it might be best to try and call customer service instead of going into the store where you are getting the replacement.

Sprint Palm Pre Activation Inside Sprint Now
  12.    #12  
    I've now done the meta-doctor, I've done it in Ubuntu (9.10) and I've also copied the jar file into windows xp and done it from there. Same results. I know I've read that this phone cannot be bricked unless there's a hardware failure and maybe that's what has happened here. The process of loading the software seems to complete just fine each time but the results are always the same, Activation Error. I will accept the replacement phone tomorrow and just go on my merry way. It's been an interesting experience reverting to my old Treo 755 and it's always fun messing around in linux. Thanks for the input, everyone.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I replaced my Pre yesterday. The agent (rep) there said that they've been having provisioning problems nationwide - and not just with the Pre.

She said just keep retrying (let it try it's 5 times, then hit retry when it informs you of the failure) -- it took 14 tries to provision mine yesterday. She said keep trying for up to three hours (though, mine only took about 20 mins).

Also, I hope you have a GOOD backup of your contacts. If you're relying on your Palm Profile for your contacts, you might be sorely ****ed off..
  14.    #14  
    Sprint may be having provisioning problems but I will tell you that when I switch back and forth between my Pre and my old Treo 755, that is, when I activate (online at mysprint) the Treo, there is no provisioning problem, it activates immediately. I've gone back and forth activating these phones about a dozen times in the last few days, so I'm not buying the story they told you, at least not about my Pre. Folks say it cannot be bricked. I can state with certainty that it worked just fine before the update to WEBOS 1.3.1 and it now walks and talks like a brick. I have tried everything I could that I found on the web and have attempted to activate the phone many, many times. I have the proper MSL number and know how to reset the phone.