Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Is there something wrong with update 1.3.1? Should I wait to install it on my wifes phone? Or are the problems that people are having sporadic?
    yea, it sucks, its slowed down my pre, made it buggy and I don't like it, the yahoo thing sucks because it constantly asks to reaffirm password and then re-registers me. Dumb...
    I think it's the patch people who are seeing the slow-downs.

Make sure you properly uninstall any patches.

Me? It actually made things noticeably faster. I'm enjoying that.

I am having some problems with my battery but I don't think its OS related. I think I just need to recalibrate it or whatever... I dumped its charge and it's been charging up just fine ever since.
    I think it's the patch people who are seeing the slow-downs.

Make sure you properly uninstall any patches.

Me? It actually made things noticeably faster. I'm enjoying that.

I am having some problems with my battery but I don't think its OS related. I think I just need to recalibrate it or whatever... I dumped its charge and it's been charging up just fine ever since.
    Yes

if you have patches or themes uninstall them first.

I have seen many advantages, like enhanced yahoo support, text forwarding, much much faster camera app, and only one draw back, you have to click on a link in the browser for a 1/4 second longer, this is supposedly made so you don't make an accidental click while scrolling. it dosn't get in the way, once you get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    Is there something wrong with update 1.3.1?
    I can't give you a definitive answer for you or your phone but I can say that 1.3.1 was very good to me. I don't really care about FB or different tones for SMS (though I realize that some do), but the updates for EAS were great for me. I use EAS and my company has security policies in place. While the Pre support the PIN requirement, it didn't do it fully. With 1.3.1 I can now have a PIN of more than 4 digits and I can, if I chose, create a complex one that's alpha-numeric with caps, etc. Also, having the PIN timer is a wonder in and of itself. The same policy that says I have to have a PIN also says that the phone can go 30 minutes without locking. Before, the Pre would do the PIN lock once the screen locked. Now, even though the screen locks, I'm not required to enter the PIN unless the phone has been idle for at least 30 minutes.

For me the 1.3.1 update was essential and I'm enjoying it.
    it's only been a day since it was released... wait a bit for the dust to settle and see what happens. Besides, if you havent installed that patch to disable updates... it will force it on your phone eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    Is there something wrong with update 1.3.1? Should I wait to install it on my wifes phone? Or are the problems that people are having sporadic?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    It's ok, but it's not like you can really not upgrade-doesn't palm force it on you after about a week anyway?

It's not that bad, and some of the functionality is nice, although it did change how browsing feels when I had just become a rockstar at it before.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll uninstall all patches then install the update. Like another poster said, Palm is gonna force it anyway.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    It's ok, but it's not like you can really not upgrade-doesn't palm force it on you after about a week anyway?

It's not that bad, and some of the functionality is nice, although it did change how browsing feels when I had just become a rockstar at it before.
    I honestly doubt Palm could or would force you to update. At least not until Pixi is settled (wondering how the sales are doing today), and until all the Pre-s in the whole world on all providers have the update available. Unless the update becomes a "pre-requisite" :-) for that function (e.g. Flash, Gif files, voice memo, voice dial etc.) to work. Also... WebOS is Palm's new baby... As soon as they realize that the update has bugs I doubt that they won't try to fix it a.s.a.p., again especially because of the Pixi just lauching. I personally have a theme, boot logo and about 60 patches installed. I am not crazy on "trying" the update. Everything is working flawlessly right now. As the saying goes... If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    1.3.1 working fine for me. Loaded 10-15 patches via Preware right after the update and all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwyneth View Post
    I honestly doubt Palm could or would force you to update. At least not until Pixi is settled (wondering how the sales are doing today), and until all the Pre-s in the whole world on all providers have the update available. Unless the update becomes a "pre-requisite" :-) for that function (e.g. Flash, Gif files, voice memo, voice dial etc.) to work. Also... WebOS is Palm's new baby... As soon as they realize that the update has bugs I doubt that they won't try to fix it a.s.a.p., again especially because of the Pixi just lauching. I personally have a theme, boot logo and about 60 patches installed. I am not crazy on "trying" the update. Everything is working flawlessly right now. As the saying goes... If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    after a week the update is done automatically, whether you want it or not
    This signature for rent
    the update works perfect, i did uninstall some patches and in no rush to install them back.

i bet the genius who posted that it slowed his pre down had the patches. just another reason why u have to uninstall the patches, it tricks your mind thinking the phone sucks when it the user who .... u know what i mean
    have you by chance seen this thread or a few others like it?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-updating.html

If you don't think they will push it, then I guess time will tell.

If I were you and if I didnt want it, I would install whatever patch is out there to disable the updating.

Actually I would imagine think that anyone that installs patches/tweaks would already be installing the patch to disable update. You don't want to be in a situation where they push an update at the most inconvenient time as well as force an update without giving a chance to uninstall your updates to ensure a proper update.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    1.3.1 working fine for me. Loaded 10-15 patches via Preware right after the update and all is well.
    I guess the best way is to determine first if the majority of patches and tweaks that you need are on the working list. Do a search on here, there are topics about that. Also check out the new features after the update and the issues after the update. Then decide if the update is essential and effective for you or not. Everyone's needs are unique... Don't do something just because everone else is doing it if it is not right for you...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527
    If I were you and if I didnt want it, I would install whatever patch is out there to disable the updating.

Actually I would imagine think that anyone that installs patches/tweaks would already be installing the patch to disable update. You don't want to be in a situation where they push an update at the most inconvenient time as well as force an update without giving a chance to uninstall your updates to ensure a proper update.
    I totally agree with you but am not aware of the existence of such a patch! Could you tell me where to find it please? Would truly appreciate it!
    Its not a patch but done through the terminal. Imho you would be better to just upgrade. (coming from a 1.2.1 user, reluctant updater)
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollbandit View Post
    after a week the update is done automatically, whether you want it or not
    Really? That's awful! I downloaded it (my stupidity) but did not install it. Now every time it is charging it asks me if I want to install the update or not and of course I choose not to... Wonder which is safer... To try to find the download and delete it or to leave it this way...?
    sorry i called it a patch but didnt recall exactly what it was until i recalled the link.

Blocking Updates - WebOS Internals

I totally agree with you but am not aware of the existence of such a patch! Could you tell me where to find it please? Would truly appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    sorry i called it a patch but didnt recall exactly what it was until i recalled the link.

[url= Updates - WebOS Internals[/url]
    donm527...
    Worked like a charm! Thank you so much! Just in the nick of time also probably... My pre started to hang, probably wanting to update... Thank you so much, that's a lot of less stress for me, especially for the coming week(s). I can even charge now without it asking me to update. Way cool!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast