Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Except for rooting the Pre, my phone has been stock. No patches, no tweaks, nothing of that nature.

The phone worked great with 1.2.1. I was very happy. Even battery seemed good. But I've been plagued since 1.3.1. Not just the battery. I suppose I can wait to see if it's "recalibrating" (even though it dropped from 100% to 55% while i was sleeping for 5 hours) but so far:

-Cannot get email!
    -Cannot enable USB Drive mode!
    -No notifications for alerts and events!

And I just woke up so I'm sure I'm forgetting some. But those 3 right there render the phone broken imho. I understand not everyone is having these problems, but I have read about them from at least a half a dozen other people each (or more) on these forums alone. So that means the widespread pre-users must have a significant percentage of people with these issues and more!

I even used a WebOS 1.0.3 Doctor and started from scratch. Only to have the exact same problems return upon getting back to 1.3.1.

How long do you think it will take for palm to release another update to fix these problems? I can imagine casual pre users with no knowledge of these types of forums going bonkers right now.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    So far, everything's working for me with the new update. I'll be keeping a closer eye on it though because of your post, though. And yeah - the battery thing sucks. 81% at 1:10am when I went to sleep. It's now 11am, and I've got 6% left. And my phone's on WiFi. What gives?
    I had to do webos doctor and am not going to go back to 1.3.1 until I hear all is safe. I never did a thing....notta....to my Pre so please don't tell me I tweaked something. All 100% approved apps on my Pre. Completely wasted my Sunday morning with getting things back up and running. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    What did you root if you had no patches or tweaks?
    had no issues with 1.3.1, all is working well.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    No issues as well.
    my battery is acting up .... Taking forever to chargw and all that... Gonna let it fully drain and see if that will help.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    I suppose I can wait to see if it's "recalibrating" (even though it dropped from 100% to 55% while i was sleeping for 5 hours)
    Aside from the battery observation, my phone has so far not had any issues with the update. The battery problem though I am experiencing as well. I didn't have the same dramatic change when I updated to 1.2.1. Time will tell.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    What did you root if you had no patches or tweaks?
    You don't have to actually patch any WebOS files in order to root. After gaining initial root access I installed optware which set up a new user, added dropbear and sudo, etc. What did I patch?
    Hmmm sure makes me question whether or not to even get this update.

I mean what does it really give us, that is really NEW?

and what is the tradeoff for all the potential problems?

I have mine hard coded for now, to NOT update.. because of that silly problem of the non stop 1.2.1 update deal.

I may just leave it off, till there is a reason to really WANT/NEED to update.
    Despite the issue I had this morning with having to do the webos doctor, I went ahead and ran the 1.3.1 update this afternoon and all did fine. Go figure. Never had a single problem with updates before, never did any homebrews or patches, and for some reason it froze on me this morning.

Anyway...my initial thoughts are it seems a little quicker and I like having a different ringtone available for texting and the ability to empty all my trash at once vs one at a time. I haven't done enough other things to see if I like any other changes.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post

I have mine hard coded for now, to NOT update.. because of that silly problem of the non stop 1.2.1 update deal.

I removed my theme & patches updated to 1.3.1 reinstalled my theme and approved patches... all is well.

- Nothing is broken, all the features I use work great, the battery is fine and, the phone appears to be just as great as it was before.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I have a native Pre, no patches, no themes, only a handful of official apps. Upgraded to 1.3.1 and now everything is screwed up. Email keeps sync'ing OLD messages from the past week (from Gmail and Verizon), and after deleting the old mail, my total inbox count doesn't change. App launch speed and function also bogs down after a short time. I tried resetting, but no improvement. Just further proof, IMHO, that Palm can't get their act together.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Native Pre -- works freaking awesome!! Off charger @ 11:30 .. still @ 97% -- almost 5:00 here. Used twice, and a bit of web browsing @ a store..

I've had a few weird things happen, when swiping away cards its be in slow motion. then it takes a few seconds to snap back to normal. also i've had a kind of freezing with the swiping away of cards weird....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    So far, everything's working for me with the new update. I'll be keeping a closer eye on it though because of your post, though. And yeah - the battery thing sucks. 81% at 1:10am when I went to sleep. It's now 11am, and I've got 6% left. And my phone's on WiFi. What gives?
    I've noticed the same thing. I even purchased one of the "super batteries" and have seen the battery drain occur much faster after the WebOS update than before.

I don't think this new OS went through as much beta-testing as it should have prior to release!

The only real practical improvement is speed. The photo roll comes up much faster as does the calendar, so there does appear to be some improvement in terms of processing speed, but considering what we've had to give up (albeit temporarily) I would think that it's not that worth it at the present time.

If I could go back to the previous OS I would until some of these kinks were worked out.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I am with you on this one. This is exactly why when a new update comes out, I disable the update daemon and hold until things are worked out. I have my Pre patched to exactly the way I like it. There is nothing is this update that makes me stand up and go woooooo.
    my messaging app was slow and buggy for awhile, I do have patches but I uninstalled prior, and the battery is getting killed FAST!
    my phone also drained the battery extremely quick only while in wifi mode. when I turned the wifi off, it held its charge like normal. not sure why, but see if this helps you out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast