Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    when i plug in my phone to and plug in radio transmitter i can listen to my phone calls over the radio and talk through my pre is this what you r discussing ?
    Yeah basically that's what they are talking about.

In my case and I think in others, we are talking about plugging into the headphone jack and connecting to the car stereo, in my case, using an old cassette tape device.

So you put this cassette tape device in the cassette tape deck and it has a wire that at the other end is a 3.5mm headphone jack.

This way the audio is directed to the car stereo and it's speakers.

But prior to 1.3.5, the Pre kept the Microphone turned on, so you could use it as a speakerphone using the car speakers. It worked great!

Have I described it correctly?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Yeah basically that's what they are talking about.

In my case and I think in others, we are talking about plugging into the headphone jack and connecting to the car stereo, in my case, using an old cassette tape device.

So you put this cassette tape device in the cassette tape deck and it has a wire that at the other end is a 3.5mm headphone jack.

This way the audio is directed to the car stereo and it's speakers.

But prior to 1.3.5, the Pre kept the Microphone turned on, so you could use it as a speakerphone using the car speakers. It worked great!

Have I described it correctly?

Rob
    i plug mine into the cigarette lighter and plug my pre into it and it transmits a radio frequency and i tune it into the same station as my radio and wa'la' i can hear people on my radio and talk to them right through the mic on the pre and it works great and has worked ever since i got my phone?!?!?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It happened to me tonight tried 5 times calling home and my wife could not hear me while i was able to hear her.

Fred
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I had the same problem as well. I tried calling your wife but she couldn't hear me either...oh well...
    In all seriousness, I hope Palm resolves this as I use this feature all the time when I'm coming in to the office late and need this to listen to meetings.

I know I did not notice this problem until 1.3.1 or 5 as well.
    For me this feature has only worked here and there since I got my Pre. I've tried it with every version and have had it work and not work with each version. I just tested it with the latest version and it worked fine. Who knows what will happen next time. There is too many variables for me to test to determine why it works sometimes and not others.
    used to work for me all the time. I tried it quite a few times the other day and it was a no go. Sucks! Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
    My brother and I have the same problem. We don't have the touchstone, but when we connect our phones to our cars through the AUX cable and make a phone call, we can hear them, but they can't hear us... This definitely takes away from the phone for me.
    The only fix I have found is to restart the phone (Device info, Reset Options, Restart) while connected to the car stereo. This has worked every time. But it really sucks since the boot time is so long you'll be halfway to wherever you are going before you can initiate a call!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I finally got so frustrated with having to restart my Pre every time I got in the car because of this problem that I decided to go ahead and buy a Motorola T505 bluetooth system. It's a bit costly, but after using it a little over a week now it was an EXCELLENT investment. (Bought it on Ebay for around $60.) Of course this is a "workaround" that costs extra money so you others with this problem may not be interested in this as the issue certainly SHOULD be fixed by Palm, but I've found this was a great solution to the problem for me.

Besides acting as a Bluetooth speakerphone in the car, it also broadcasts all audio through FM, and easily locates the best FM station for the broadcast. So, works just like the aux cable setup, but has own mic and you don't need an aux cord. I was a bit skeptical as I've tried FM broadcasters before and haven't been impressed, but the neat thing is that it ALSO supposedly allows you to still connect the aux cable to the Pre (although after trying the FM I found no need to even try this) and then the music, etc., plays through the aux cable but when a call comes in it goes through the T505 speaker and mic (yet still pauses the music).

Anyway, after using the FM broadcaster through this thing I decided it was good enough to just use it and remove the aux-cassette adapter and therefore do away with another cord. To me, it sounds just as good, AND I'm told that I sound WAY better on calls when talking throught the T505 than when I used the Pre's mic with aux cable. Now when I get in the car I don't worry about connecting a cable anymore -- just plop the Pre on the touchstone and turn on the T505. No more worries about whether someone will hear me.

Again, of course the aux cable issue SHOULD be fixed by Palm, but this works so much better for me that I'm almost glad it was a problem since it made me look at this other solution which works SO much nicer anyway!
    Would it be possible to plug it in to the aux port and have a bluetooth mic on the visor? Calls would come in over the stereo, and the folks on the receiving end could hear you.
    It is a bummer it isn't working; I loved this feature!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Would it be possible to plug it in to the aux port and have a bluetooth mic on the visor? Calls would come in over the stereo, and the folks on the receiving end could hear you.
    It is a bummer it isn't working; I loved this feature!
    That's what the T505 does -- has a clip to put it on the visor. If you don't have an aux cable connected, calls come in over the stereo (using the built-in FM modulator) and uses the mic on the T505. If you have an aux cable connected (and don't want to use the FM modulator on the T505) then I believe calls would just come over the T505 built-in speaker.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I also bought a GPS with bluetooth to take care of this. Not only do I like the standalone GPS better than the pre's, it works great as a speakerphone.
    I've had the same issue and have found a $10 workaround until Palm fixes (hopefully) with new update due out in Feb. Anyway..my fix right..I went to my local BestBuy and found a cheap Dynex 3.5mm microphone adapter. It claimed to turn your high dollar stand alone headphones (like the Dr. Dre Beats headphones) into a conversation piece. For $10 I figured I'd try it out and it works. Plug the Pre to the adapter and the to your aux jack and you're back to talking and listening to music hands free (almost).
    this used to work fine for everyone prior to i believe it was 1.2 there are a lot of threads out there on this one

most seem to think they disabled this to create more compatibility w/ diff head sets. you used to also be able to use a seat of earbuds w/out a mic, and it worked wonderfully... I'd like to see Dieter or someone bring this to Palm's attention so we get a fix for it.
    I never knew about this feature until I saw this thread. i had to run outside and test it, and for me, it worked. I am running Palm webOS 1.3.5.1
    I had no idea you could bo this... What cable are you using to connect your pre to the aux input?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I had no idea you could bo this... What cable are you using to connect your pre to the aux input?
    you have to buy the 3.5 mm jack on both ends unless your car uses a 2.5 then you have to get the one with 3.5 x 2.5 cable ,they cost like maybe 5 to 10 dollars i believe.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonpossible View Post
    this used to work fine for everyone prior to i believe it was 1.2 there are a lot of threads out there on this one

most seem to think they disabled this to create more compatibility w/ diff head sets. you used to also be able to use a seat of earbuds w/out a mic, and it worked wonderfully... I'd like to see Dieter or someone bring this to Palm's attention so we get a fix for it.
    this still works fine but you have to plug in your cable then restart your phone then it should work for a while then if and when you unplug ,if you turn off music and discard any apps using the sound before you unplug it should stay working for a while. but if it does not work then just restart your phone after you plug it in, the next time you get in the car and it works again lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    the actual name for the cable is a 3.5mm stereo plug. i'd hate to see you go somewhere and they don't know what you're talking about if you just say 3.5mm jack. Do not buy it at best buy, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. find a store like walmart or meijer, any store that's not electronics based, with the exception of radio shack and you should be able to get it for under 10 bucks.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Just an note to keep this thread active. This is an excellent way to use your Pre as a handfree phone and entertainment device in your car.

For those new to the process, currently thanks to an update from Palm you need to reset/restart your Pre after plugging in your (Aux cable, Cassette adapter, FM transmitter) to turn the phone Mic back on (which sucks cause it takes so long) but hopefully Palm will address this in a future update.

Anyway it's a very cool feature. I'm set up in the car with a touchstone and run through the stereo on long drives so I can listen to George Noory on youtube and still catch phone calls.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast