Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 101
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    I'm wondering if this is a 1.3.1 thing or maybe my phone, but I have a Touchstone in my car and plug into the stereo through auxiliary input. It's always worked great, and I can call people using the car speakers and the phone's speakerphone mic. I just got a replacement phone - refurb - and it works great, but I tried to call and they can't hear me on the other side when it's plugged into my car. I just got this new phone and then updated to 1.3.1 before trying the car phone bit. So I don't know if the update killed that feature, or if this phone is messed up. Anyone else encounter this?
    There is nothing here that screams to me "the patch did it". The original poster stated quite clearly that they received a refurbished phone and then proceeded to upgrade it to 1.3.1 without having tried the speakerphone feature. They also stated quite clearly that they had no idea whether or not the patch was the issue. There is no way of knowing whether or not it ever worked. The original poster is talking about a refurbished Pre. That may have been the reason it was returned in the first place.

    And before anyone else with similar symptoms starts pumping up their flame throwers, I am only addressing the obvious inconsistencies in the original post. As with people, smartphones can have the same symptoms for entirely different reasons which require different approaches to fix the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    It worked perfectly for me before the update ...
    I'm confused as to what you mean by "It worked perfectly for me before the update"? Are you talking about the Pre that you turned in for the refurbished unit or the refurbished Pre itself? If you're referring to your previous Pre then your statement is nonsensical. Yes, your original Pre's speaker phone worked, but we were discussing the refurbished replacement you received. If you're talking about your current refurbished replacement Pre, then your statement is disingenuous at best as you already stated that you never tried the speaker phone feature prior to patching to 1.3.1.

    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    ... I haven't tried the reboot fix cause that's ridiculous. ...
    You're blaming the patch when you're not even sure the patch was the issue, but you're not even willing to try a simple fix? This phone is more akin to a computer than a toaster. Computers develop glitches with extended use and need to be rebooted. It's usually the first thing tech support will have you do (in regards to computers at least) and will clear up a number of minor issues, at least temporarily. Reboot your phone and see if you still have the problem. If you do, take it back to Sprint and have them check it out. It's a refurb for a reason.

    I can almost guarantee that it will be necessary for you to reboot your Pre from time to time to clear minor issues (like GPS not being able to get a lock). At least it has been necessary to do this every week or two for me. Your milage may vary. There's always someone who's phone works perfectly from day one and has never had an issue (that they will admit to).
  2. JrrInTN's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    You're blaming the patch when you're not even sure the patch was the issue, but you're not even willing to try a simple fix? ... Reboot your phone and see if you still have the problem. If you do, take it back to Sprint and have them check it out. It's a refurb for a reason.

    I can almost guarantee that it will be necessary for you to reboot your Pre from time to time to clear minor issues (like GPS not being able to get a lock). At least it has been necessary to do this every week or two for me. ...
    GenericMusings, it appears that you don't understand the issue here. This is NOT a matter of having to reboot the Pre "every week or two". This is rebooting the Pre EVERY TIME those of us who are using an aux cable get into the car and plug in an aux cable. That means, if you make a short stop, say to get gas, and don't leave the Pre in the car, plugged in -- then it has to be rebooted AGAIN when the aux cable is plugged back in. That means around 2 minutes of reboot time everytime you want to listen to the car stereo but MIGHT have a call coming in at some point.

    Again, this was not a problem prior to 1.3.1 but is definately a problem after. For those of you that report it is not a problem for you, have you actually had a call come in while you have it plugged into an aux cable in your car on the Touchstone? It's easy to test -- simply plug in the aux cable, call voicemail, then while in voicemail, brush or tap the mic. You probably won't hear any noise from that tapping until you reboot the Pre.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post
    GenericMusings, it appears that you don't understand the issue here. ...
    JrrInTN, I was addressing the specific posts I quoted by fbcregan and not any issue you may have. The original post is lacking in concrete details. By their own admission, fbcregan never once used the refurb's speakerphone feature prior to the patch and even admited that they had no idea of it ever worked. fbcregan also stated flat out that to even try rebooting the phone is ridiculous. Sorry, epic fail.

    Try reading what I actually wrote, within the context that it was written, and not just skimming for keywords.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 12/16/2009 at 12:50 PM.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    JrrInTN, I was addressing the specific post I quoted by fbcregan and not any issue you may have. The original post is lacking in concrete details. By their own admission, fbcregan never once used the refurb's speakerphone feature prior to the patch and even admited that they had no idea of it ever worked. fbcregan also stated flat out that to even try rebooting the phone is ridiculous. Sorry, epic fail.

    Try reading what I actually wrote, within the context that it was written, and not just skimming for keywords.
    Yeah that might be true if you only read the first post, but I made my comment after reading that others had the same problem as well. I didn't base my comment on just one post.

    It seems you based your comment on just one post without reading the other posts in the thread.

    I won't bash you too much for not being a little more thorough before making the comments.

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  5. #25  
    i like turtles !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Yeah that might be true if you only read the first post, but I made my comment after reading that others had the same problem as well. I didn't base my comment on just one post.

    It seems you based your comment on just one post without reading the other posts in the thread.

    I won't bash you too much for not being a little more thorough before making the comments.

    Rob
    Rob, my comments were not based on that one post, they were actually ABOUT that one post. I have taken no stand with anyone else's experiences. I will say that do you seem to be projecting your own experiences on fbcregan's post and disregarding certain glaring problems with the information that they provided.

    fbcregan stated they turned in their original Pre and received a refurbished Pre as a replacement. Before trying the speakerphone, they updated the refurbished Pre to 1.3.1. fbcregan stated flat out that they didn't know whether the patch or the Pre was at fault. There is no evidence of any direct cause and effect here. They later stated in another post that they refused to even try rebooting the phone to see if the speakerphone would start working. At least that may have been indicative of a possible link to the patch.

    I am not stating that the patch wasn't the reason why fbcregan's speakerphone isn't functional. There is just no way of knowing if fbcregan's speakerphone was EVER functional. We all know how exceptional the build quality is on these phones. It is just as possible that they received a bad refurb as it is that the patch was at fault. No direct cause and effect was shown in fbcregan's post.

    Done.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 12/17/2009 at 08:19 AM.
  7. #27  
    Generic,

    I know you statement was based on ONLY that one post and you used the information in that one statement to make your comment, and to say to that user that he had a problem because he never tested the Pre after getting the new refurbished unit.

    That's OK and I was just basically teasing you on this.

    But when I personally saw the name of the thread, I read his statement, and the read the other listings.

    And what actually got me to even read the thread, was that I was having the exact same problem as others, and not really caring about that one individual.

    You've made your point but let's try and move past that, and recognize that the problem does exist.

    And we want this to be corrected because it was a great feature to have and it added a certain safety factor to using your Pre in the car.

    One of my posts asked if we could figure out a way to see if could get as much information as possible to be able to report to Palm to try and get it fixed.

    Or we need to get a developer to create some kind of patch to get it work again.

    And yes, we could spend money on fancy bluetooth solutions, but not everyone has that kind of money these days, especially since we know it can work.

    I should ask you personally, if you want this to work yourself?

    If you do, then try and help us to do something to get it working again.

    Rob

    PS I've even read the thing about 'rebooting' the Pre to make it work. And that is really not a great solution, if you are getting in and out of your car during the day. That might mean rebooting 10 times a day, each time you start your car, and being forced to wait 5 minutes for the Pre to become ready. Not a very graceful solution, since it did work perfectly before.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 12/17/2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  8. fbcregan's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Rob, my comments were not based on that one post, they were actually ABOUT that one post. I have taken no stand with anyone else's experiences. I will say that do you seem to be projecting your own experiences on fbcregan's post and disregarding certain glaring problems with the information that they provided.

    fbcregan stated they turned in their original Pre and received a refurbished Pre as a replacement. Before trying the speakerphone, they updated the refurbished Pre to 1.3.1. fbcregan stated flat out that they didn't know whether the patch or the Pre was at fault. There is no evidence of any direct cause and effect here. They later stated in another post that they refused to even try rebooting the phone to see if the speakerphone would start working. At least that may have been indicative of a possible link to the patch.

    I am not stating that the patch wasn't the reason why fbcregan's speakerphone isn't functional. There is just no way of knowing if fbcregan's speakerphone was EVER functional. We all know how exceptional the build quality is on these phones. It is just as possible that they received a bad refurb as it is that the patch was at fault. No direct cause and effect was shown in fbcregan's post.

    Done.
    Okay so I don't know why I'm being attacked weeks later for a post I made that has been confirmed by numerous others. Yes, when I first posted, I didn't know if it was my new Pre or the 1.3.1 update. (GenericMusings, I don't know why you keep talking about blaming a patch. I never blamed a patch for it.) After reading replies and other posts about the same issue after 1.3.1, I replied that my Pre had worked before the update. It's true that it was a different Pre, but I was confident by that time that 1.3.1 broke it and wanted to separate that issue from random occasional issues others had had before the update. By the way, I've had to replace my Pre again for unrelated issues and the new one doesn't work either, because 1.3.1 is what broke that function. And no, I'm not going to reboot my Pre every time I get in the car cause as I said before, that's ridiculous. I reboot occasionally like every other Pre owner but not every time I drive. So get off me.
  9. dsmalley's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #29  
    This is an issue with my phone as well. It worked as a hands free phone in my car using the headset jack plugged into my car radio and I loved it. Phone sounds played over the car speakers and the mic on the phone was active. After the update to 1.3.1 it no longer works and I have tried many things to correct the problem, and if rebooting every time I plug into my car is the only solution then there is still a problem that hopefully will be addressed.

    My guess is that in order to make the Pre more compatible with headsets the update changed the phones programming to disable the onboard mic whenever a headset is plugged in so a fix may be as easy as an "enable phone mic with headset" setting within the phone options.

    I just want to keep this issue alive because it was a VERY nice function as I spend many hours in the car. I have always been a Palm fan, I miss Graffiti, I loved my Kyocera huge brick Smartphone and I really love my Pre.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #30  
    thank goodness for this thread. As offended as some may get over "whining" then it serves a purpose because some problems aren't a "it must be YOUR phone" situation.

    anyway, I used to use this feature all the time but quit after having it embarassingly fail on me lately. Hopefully this gets a fix.
  11. #31  
    Some people really need to learn how to read objectively.

    Rob, I never said that the people posting in this thread weren't having a problem. I never even implied that fbcregan wasn’t having a problem. Believe it or not, I was actually trying to help you out by pointing out the problems of trying to use fbcregan's post as an example of your collective issue with your phones after the 1.3.1 patch. You would have been much better served placing your own experiences on the table in that post on the official forums. I am speaking as a technician in a government IT department.

    I've already outlined why there is no discernable cause and effect relating to the patch and fbcregan's particular problem. The fact that your Pre happens to share similar symptoms with fbcregan's Pre has no bearing on this point and I’ll not go into it again.

    A number of you seem to go on at great length regarding my mentioning the rebooting of the phone. Again, learn to read objectively. I never said that continually having to reboot the phone was acceptable. It most certainly is not. I did say it was a fact of life with the Pre and that is a fact.

    What you are failing to realize is that the reboot can be used as a troubleshooting tool. If the reboot resolves the issue, at least in the short term, then that would be a basis for looking closer at the patch being at fault. If the reboot failed to resolve the issue, I would look at the hardware being the cause. Again, I am speaking as a technician.

    Yes, I want the issues with the Pre resolved, but I also understand that to do so I must present well thought out examples of the problems I am experiencing, not paste a flawed example on a forum and expect a technician will “get it”. They won’t. They will read it basically the same way I did and come to a similar conclusion, that the example proffered does not prove cause and effect and is therefore useless in proving your case. Please give them a better example which will highlight how things were working before the patch and then stopped working after. This isn’t rocket science people.

    And before anyone accuses me of being a f-a-n-b-o-y, you really should read some of my other posts. I am anything but. I have also found issues with my Pre after the 1.3.1 patch. I posted on the official forum regarding the issue with Sprint Nav and the verbal instructions being truncated. There are other issues I have that are well covered by others such as my calendar popping reminders an hour early, Palm’s (or is it Sprint’s) network placing my phone in the Regina Canada time zone when I actually reside in Texas, having to disable the screen pin lock because the phone will dial 911 at the drop of a hat when I remove it from the touchstone. I have had similar experiences with my wife’s Pre.

    I think this horse is now well and truly dead and beaten.

    Take care, stay safe, happy holidays.
  12. wmurch3's Avatar
    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    #32  
    yeah I am having this exact same issue. So glad it isn't just me! Now we just need palm to fix it. I loved the way it was.
  13. #33  
    First, I'm not fighting with you.

    I see your point that I should have posted something a little more solid than that first post of a persons experience that he never tried the phone after getting it back from being refurbished.

    I am myself at fault by not reading that first post carefully. And then using it to post over on Palm's forums.

    I did not realize until now, that that was what you were trying to tell me.

    I do stand corrected and apologize.

    I honestly until this second was getting confused by your using the term 'patch' when you were talking about the 1.3.1 upgrade.

    I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what patch you are talking about.

    You were really just talking about the software upgrade to 1.3.1 and saying 'patch'.

    I thought you meant 'patch' as in Homebrew 'patches' as they are called here.

    I guess you could called the upgrade to 1.3.1 a ROM upgrade. That might be the older term used on the old Palm OS.

    I don't think I said that you made the rebooting statement as a workaround I think someone else mentioned that. I was just saying it wasn't a good solution.

    But I am interested in your idea that the reboot could be used as a way to find out why this is happening?

    Can you expand on that idea. How can we use that to help figure this problem out.

    And yes, I agree, I did also notice that Sprint Nav was getting truncated too.

    Rob

    PS I am going to be taking a 8 hour trip to Pitts from NYC for Xmas this coming week. I will have plenty of time to try different things out while in the car.

    So any ideas or steps that I can run thru would be good and then I would have a better post to make over at the Palm forums.

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  14. #34  
    wow still going? like the energizer bunny lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15. fbcregan's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
       #35  
    GenericMusings, I don't understand why you feel it is so important to rip a post just because it wasn't written according to your specifications. It is obvious to everyone on this thread except you that 1.3.1 caused the break even though I initially didn't know for sure that was the case. That's what a forum is for. I don't know the answer, so I ask questions. When others have the same problem, we can come to some basic conclusions. This isn't rocket science. Maybe instead of spending post after post ripping the thread, you could just note the same conclusion as the rest of us: 1.3.1 (which is an update, not a patch) broke the speakerphone use when connected using the 3.5mm plug. We all know that is the answer to this thread, and we just want it fixed. Get over yourself.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I honestly until this second was getting confused by your using the term 'patch' when you were talking about the 1.3.1 upgrade. ...
    I apologize for the confusion. After years of working as a computer technician, the terms patch, update, and upgrade tend to get used interchangeably. I will try to be more clear in the future.
    Last edited by GenericMusings; 12/18/2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Clarification
  17. #37  
    Put me down as another victim of this problem. I been messing with my phone trying to find an answer as I thought I did something. Looks like 1.3.1 is the root of the problem. Looking forward to a Palm/Sprint fix???????

    By the way, I don't use Touchstone, just an audio cable plug into my 3.5mm aux in on my stereo.
  18. #38  
    I am working with Generic (I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly) to modify and correct the original message I posted over at Palm.

    We are trying to fix it so it sounds very clean as to what is happening with the issue.

    If you want please go over to Palm's website and make a comment so Palm can see that we want this fixed.

    If it helps here is the link to that posting:

    Calls through car stereo not working anymore, mic is turned off now after 1.3.1 update? - webOS Software - Palm Support Community

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    GenericMusings, I don't understand why you feel it is so important to rip a post just because it wasn't written according to your specifications. It is obvious to everyone on this thread except you that 1.3.1 caused the break even though I initially didn't know for sure that was the case. That's what a forum is for. I don't know the answer, so I ask questions. When others have the same problem, we can come to some basic conclusions. This isn't rocket science. Maybe instead of spending post after post ripping the thread, you could just note the same conclusion as the rest of us: 1.3.1 (which is an update, not a patch) broke the speakerphone use when connected using the 3.5mm plug. We all know that is the answer to this thread, and we just want it fixed. Get over yourself.
    All is good between Gerneric and myself. We talked privately and now are in the process of getting this all corrected and trying to word thing more accurately so that Palm can help fix the problem hopefully! See my link in a previous message!

    Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmalley View Post
    This is an issue with my phone as well. It worked as a hands free phone in my car using the headset jack plugged into my car radio and I loved it. Phone sounds played over the car speakers and the mic on the phone was active. After the update to 1.3.1 it no longer works and I have tried many things to correct the problem, and if rebooting every time I plug into my car is the only solution then there is still a problem that hopefully will be addressed.

    My guess is that in order to make the Pre more compatible with headsets the update changed the phones programming to disable the onboard mic whenever a headset is plugged in so a fix may be as easy as an "enable phone mic with headset" setting within the phone options.

    I just want to keep this issue alive because it was a VERY nice function as I spend many hours in the car. I have always been a Palm fan, I miss Graffiti, I loved my Kyocera huge brick Smartphone and I really love my Pre.
    they did not diable anything if you reboot phone while plugged into your car stereo ,it should work just fine !! this is what i do when it decides to not work for me and it fixes this issue ! have a great night!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions