Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I think it IS Palm.

Here is my take (I can be wrong, as it is only my theory)...Greg's Plugin does NOT go through Palm;s server, whereas the stock one does..

That is why with Greg's you got a connection.

Again, my belief it the server is jacked up at the moment (Palm)
  2.    #22  
    UHH okay...

So I restarted my phone yet again in sheer frustration.

Running 1.2.1, everything worked after doing that.

Weirder yet, I am now showing YIM in my messenger. Not really sure what that's about but I am going to go ahead and update to 1.3.1 and see if everything is okay.

The problem seems to be caused by Messenger plugin. Probably due to an improper uninstall. I uninstalled it through preware THEN uninstalled it from quickinstall or whatever.

Reinstalling it and uninstalling it straight from quickinstall seemed to fix things. Lets see what happens with 1.3.1
  3.    #23  
    Okay. Everything is working fine AND I mysteriously have YIM now.

If you have the same problem as me it's caused by Messenger Plugin.

I had to webdoctor it to 1.2.1 and install the messenger plugin update again. Then I had to open up quick install and uninstall it properly. Rebooted a few times and then it worked.

Everything is working better than it did before. Huzzah.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I think it IS Palm.

Here is my take (I can be wrong, as it is only my theory)...Greg's Plugin does NOT go through Palm;s server, whereas the stock one does..

That is why with Greg's you got a connection.

Again, my belief it the server is jacked up at the moment (Palm)
    I'd say with 99% certainty you're wrong, no offense. I could be wrong, but like I said, I'm pretty sure libpurple connects directly. Besides that, I've been trying from probably 4am Eastern time until 7am Eastern time, on a Sunday morning. Server load just doesn't seem to make sense. Also, when I was on 1.2.1 and updated to 1.3.1, AIM was working fine then, and I had already uninstalled Greg's plugin previously to that. Then, as soon as I fresh install and go to 1.3.1, it's not working? That really just doesn't make sense if it's the server, it was a 15-30 minute difference between the time it was working and the time it wasn't.

What I've noticed is that 1.3.1's restoring brings back almost all Pre settings. Seems to me that most likely is that there's a bad preference in a cookie which is left there from Greg's plugin improperly uninstalling (at least the 1.0.4 version I used, which I did uninstall using webOS Quick Install - notice in the 1.1.0 changelog he mentions fixing uninstall), and that when I'm restoring my profile, the cookie with that setting is being restored to my phone and causing issues again.

Though, if I'm wrong, I apologize to you. I did leave a message about it on Palm's support forum, so if it is because of that, I'm sure they'll let me know there.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/15/2009 at 06:34 AM.
    yeah, I can be wrong, and no offense at all.

but here is my take on it:

1) many users are reporting currently contacts are not resyncing after doctor

2) someone posted a chat log with Palm indicating their techs are working on the sever (chat log posted somewhere on the forum)

3) Biggest clue: as soon as you add/remove a chat account, it links to your palm profile (it phones home). And this is what I mean when I say Palm's server is currently jacked

fwiw: I did get to link my yahoo last night 1230am or so when the update just got rolled out (my guess is the sever was not hosed at that time)
  6.    #26  
    its definitely from the messenger plug in. I has fixed it though
    Here's what I'm doing to hopefully fix it myself: I turned off my Backups, which erases the backup on the Palm server, and am using webOS Doctor now.

Hopefully if my theory is correct about an incorrect setting, there's no way it should be propagated to the phone via a restore, so it should be entirely clean and let me start fresh that way.
  8.    #28  
    Hope that works for you.

If it doesn't work just reinstall it then uninstall it through quick install.

Fixed it for meeee.
    Works perfectly now, now I just need to redo all my settings (huge pain, but glad it's working right now).
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Works perfectly now, now I just need to redo all my settings (huge pain, but glad it's working right now).
    JHoff, please, can you detail exactly the steps you took, and what you had to do to restore everything you had?
    Okay, so here's what I did that caused the problem:
    • Installed Greg's messaging plugin 1.0.4
    • Uninstalled Greg's plugin (but something was apparently left behind- think you still have the issue even if you didn't uninstall)
    • Updated to 1.3.1
    • Yahoo wouldn't log in, when removing AIM and trying to readd it, it wouldn't log in either.

To fix the problem, here's what I did:
    • Turned off backups, confirming I wanted to delete them off of Palm's server
    • Used webOS Doctor to install 1.2.1
    • Updated to 1.3.1 OTA
    • Did a Full Erase from Device Info/Reset Options - don't think this is necessary but I wanted to be completely sure

After the restore, my App Catalog stuff was redownloaded (both paid and free), but everything else went back to stock. I was then able to re-add accounts in Messaging (and also had to re-add all other accounts, Emails, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, so here's what I did that caused the problem:
    Excellent, thanks for the clarity. I was especially concerned about what would happen to the paid apps after turning off backups.

I'd like to add (I know you're very much a troubleshooting type of guy), my experience was much like yours, with one very notable exception. I Doctored my Pre, did the update, and still had problems that sound identical to yours.

Here was my steps:
    • Installed Greg's messaging plugin 1.0.4
    • Uninstalled Greg's plugin, and all the other tweaks I had done
    • Updated to 1.3.1
    • Yahoo wouldn't log in, nor would AIM or either of my Google Talk accounts. Text is the only messaging that I had. Multiple deletes and readds of the various accounts achieved nothing.
    • Doctored my Pre to 1.2.1
    • Updated to 1.3.1
    • Yahoo/AIM/GTalk issues remained

I will try your turning off backups option, and report back.
    OK, I did this from memory, and reversed some steps. Didn't matter, this repaired my Pre as well:
    • Did a Full Erase from Device Info/Reset Options
    • Updated to 1.3.1 OTA

I was then able to successfully log in to Yahoo, AIM, and both GTalk accounts in messaging.

This leads me to believe that something is incorrectly saved in previous profiles, possibly something to do with the messaging plugin used before?

How many of you that are having problems fit the following:
    • Had no previous profile saved.
    • Had previously used the messaging plugin
    • Had not previously used the messaging plugin
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the turning off backups and starting from scratch that fixes it, and not the full erase, I just wanted to be safe.

Glad you got it working though.

Now if only it didn't show to other users that I'm mobile when I'm on Yahoo this way (and would allow me to accept if someone adds me).
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, I did this from memory, and reversed some steps. Didn't matter, this repaired my Pre as well:
    • Did a Full Erase from Device Info/Reset Options
    • Updated to 1.3.1 OTA

I was then able to successfully log in to Yahoo, AIM, and both GTalk accounts in messaging.

This leads me to believe that something is incorrectly saved in previous profiles, possibly something to do with the messaging plugin used before?

How many of you that are having problems fit the following:
    • Had no previous profile saved.
    • Had previously used the messaging plugin
    • Had not previously used the messaging plugin
    I did not use the messaging plugin and I'm getting login errors on Yahoo.

I should say though, that I saw those same messages with my Yahoo email account back in June when I first set it up, but they went away.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I cant be bothered by reading this whole thread, so this may have been answered, but you can edit the formating of your aim name. Including spaces and capitalization, so your username minus spaces is actually your login username, and your email @aol.com.
    If I do all the above like a couple did, do I have to reenter all my email accounts, lose all my internet bookmarks and stuff like that?

My Pre is working fine except I cant log into Yahoo IM, thats it. I would like to use it though but dont know if hours of work redoing everything is worth it.
    I turned off EVDO and forced IM to connect through WiFi, so I could run a tcpdump and sniff the conversation between the Pre and the servers.

The Pre talks directly with AIM, Google Chat and Yahoo. It does NOT go through a Palm proxy server.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    If I do all the above like a couple did, do I have to reenter all my email accounts, lose all my internet bookmarks and stuff like that?

My Pre is working fine except I cant log into Yahoo IM, thats it. I would like to use it though but dont know if hours of work redoing everything is worth it.
    You will lose your bookmarks, and you will need to re-enter your email accounts. I only had about a half-dozen bookmarks, so that wasn't a big deal for me. after re-entering the 5 email accounts I have, they each synced with no more input from me. Interestingly, most the linked information that I had done before was retained. User information stayed link, but those where I had the same business name in multiple accounts I had to re-link. Haven't quite figured that one out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    All of messenger has been broken for meeee....
    I am having same issue. I webOS Doctor'd last night, and updated to 1.3.1, and then tried adding my IM accounts in 1.3.1 and now nothing works. I get the endless spinner on the Sign In button when adding an account, and notice there's no network activity at all. Before I WebOS Doctor'd my accounts logged in just fine. I think 1.3.1 broke something with adding IM accounts. Since it is a post-doctor, messaging plugin related does not apply.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast