Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. arcane's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by NightoftheWolfeans View Post
    I've been visiting this website/forums ever since I first heard about the Palm Pre. It's be my source of all information on the Pre, and eventually led me to buy one instead of going for the iPhone 3GS. The community here is fantastic and whenever there is an issue with my Pre or something that I don't know how to do, I just do a search and there is usually a thread already there. I couldn't imagine having this phone without having this site and everyone that is a part of it. So thank you to everyone that has ever posted any help or questions or anything at all.

    I have noticed an increasing number of people speaking about their disappointment about the lack of features, the lack of updates, and other things that they are not content about. What I fail to understand is the reason for those people to complain constantly about issues they seem unfit. When we bought this phone, we made a choice. We were fully aware that it did not have some basic features; Palm did not say that the phone included the features, and then they just weren't there. When we bought this phone, each of us were fully aware (or at least the information was there) of what this phone included and didn't include. If the lack of features was such an issue to you, then you should have gone with another phone that meets your needs. I do not doubt that at some point those features are coming, it's just a matter of time. I would like to believe that Palm is working to give the consumers what they want, and when people become impatient, they often speak as if they are at the offices of Palm and know what is happening every day. I am rooting for Palm, I hope they continue to provide us with the updates that we are looking for and I hope the line of WebOS phones become another choice that the consumer can make for smartphones.

    I bought this phone knowing the lack of basic features, the hardware issues, and everything else. But i took a chance with a company that I hope does well because I see the potential in the phone. I have so far been really happy with my Pre and the updates Palm is providing us with. We as a society have become accustomed to having everything instantly; our food instant, our coffee instant, everything set and ready to go. The reality is there will be a progression and evolution of this phone, and we all that bought a Pre decided to jump on for the ride. We made the choice out of our own free will to buy this phone, therefore we should at least hold out and give Palm a chance. The phone isn't perfect, but at least they are working towards improving it gradually for us. Things like this take time. I hope to see how Palm evolves next year and how the Pre continues to improve.
    good points, all. early adopters need to understand the intermittent disappointments that are simply the nature of the beast when it comes to jumping on new tech right out of the gate. the kind of person - maybe not everyone, but me, for sure - who stands in line at 6am on launch day because they expect something with *potential* is the same kind of person who is willing to wring out the things they long for with webos quick install and command line tweaking. meanwhile, yes, palm is dragging their feet a bit with dev outreach and implementation of their own version of the homebrew community - like maybe a "bullpen" others have suggested, where devs push out apps without review but with an explicit statement that the app is unreviewed and beta.

    palm is not as fast as the enthusiastic community of this forum is, and it is frustrating and obnoxious sometimes, but i am confident that they are trolling these forums and listening to the power users and our demands. hopefully i'm not wrong.
  2. #22  
    I think it's a gross overstatement to say that palm is ignoring issues. They have come out with 3 updates now.. granted this last one was kinda disappointing but each update fixed a lot of issues. they put in texting forwarding which I could absolutely care less about, but many were crying for. As for facebook... it's important to some.. and there are a lot of options to use. I'm ticked video recording isn't done yet, or voice recording but in the grand scheme of things, those things are minor. Overall i'm pretty happy with the phone save a few quirks. I expected the phone to be a work in progress, so maybe thats why i'm not so upset with the lack of certain features.
  3. #23  
    Some of y'all need to quit finger banging your phones, push away from that gaming console, empty those Coke bottles full of urine, climb those steps up out of your mom's basement, get some sunlight and meet some real people instead updating all of your "Facebook Friends" constantly.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    I did admit it was my mistake for not returning it in 30 days.

    The problems with the Pre and WebOS aren't my mistakes, they're Palms. Palm is responsible for the product that they create, obviously. And I'm free to skewer them here or elsewhere until they fix the problems.

    Have a good day.
    But it sounds like most of the issues revolve around your expectations, not about anything promised by Palm. If your expectations didn't match the reality, then I'm not sure that the hostility helps at all...maybe it makes you feel better, but I'd bet it doesn't even do that.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  5. #25  
    I am extremely happy with my Palm Pre. Yes, there are things missing, but overall the Web OS has some features that make it the best out there, like Universal Search, Synergy (I find it fantastic), Multitasking with Cards view, a great internet browser and a very good mail client. Of course I would like more features, who wouldn't? I am sure Palm is working on making Web OS even better.
    I have also seen many people complaining about Palm Pre's performance. Well, I cannot share your concerns. My Palm Pre is really fast and even with 6, 7 apps running at the same time it works great. Try doing that on a Windows Mobile phone, or on the iPhone (where it isn't possible at all!!!).
    Maybe Preware and all homebrew apps make the Palm Pre perform weaker, I don't know. I don't want to hack the device to get the most out of it, unless there is a very good reason for it. For the moment, all that I need is covered by the standard Web OS programs, or the ones available on the App Catalog.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    When I bought it in June:

    1) I didn't expect the manufacturing of the unit to be so shoddy that I personally had to fix the "slider shut off" problem because the damn batteries weren't fitting properly.

    2) I didn't, in a million years, expect that the Pre wouldn't be able to do something so basic and simple as playing wav files that are attached to emails.

    3) I expected, after 6 months, that they would have a decent Facebook app! They even featured FB in a Palm Pre advertisement!

    Things take time? How long Palm? They're still fixing issues that should have been fixed before launch.
    I would have thought that for anyone that's been around for a million years, 6 months would have been a relatively short period...
  7. Cohens's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #27  
    All I have to say on this matter is I hope palm is trolling this thread and *** palm no jetpack in 1.3.1 this is supposed to be the future wheres my jetpack?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBossman1 View Post
    Some of y'all need to quit finger banging your phones, push away from that gaming console, empty those Coke bottles full of urine, climb those steps up out of your mom's basement, get some sunlight and meet some real people instead updating all of your "Facebook Friends" constantly.
    LOL

    Go outside? Meet people not on the internet? You are speaking of a distant era that no one under 25 would remember. A time in which man was forced to exert unthinkable amounts of effort and leaving the house was an everyday necessity. Humankind is now wise enough to know that if you can't do it online, there's no point in doing it at all.

    Only kidding.

  9. #29  
    This is a very civilly-written post. But it's wrong.

    Not everyone knew about or had easy access to every little (or big) feature this phone included or lacked, at the time they decided to give it a try.

    Heck, Palm didn't even bother to include a guide on how to use the phone, let alone whether it would, let's say, screw up the original text of an email to which you were replying.

    It may or may not have been mentioned in PreCentral or other reviews, but it's clear that some folks found that out the hard way. That's just one example of something that a user should've been able to assume would work properly, but which Palm didn't make clear from the beginning.

    Then, people, many who root for Palm like you and I do, try to hang in there while the phone reaches the level it SHOULD have been at from the start. I'm not talking about video recording. I'm talking about some of the stuff that had to be fixed in the 1.1 (1.2?) update. (Luckily, I came onboard after the release of that update so I was spared some heartache.)

    So, if these people, while sticking with Palm through the good AND THE BAD, decide that they want to whine and complain about build quality or software shortcomings, as they see them, I think they've earned that right.

    I'm happy with my Pre, but if I complain about something, I don't see anything wrong with that, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by NightoftheWolfeans View Post
    I've been visiting this website/forums ever since I first heard about the Palm Pre. It's be my source of all information on the Pre, and eventually led me to buy one instead of going for the iPhone 3GS. The community here is fantastic and whenever there is an issue with my Pre or something that I don't know how to do, I just do a search and there is usually a thread already there. I couldn't imagine having this phone without having this site and everyone that is a part of it. So thank you to everyone that has ever posted any help or questions or anything at all.

    I have noticed an increasing number of people speaking about their disappointment about the lack of features, the lack of updates, and other things that they are not content about. What I fail to understand is the reason for those people to complain constantly about issues they seem unfit. When we bought this phone, we made a choice. We were fully aware that it did not have some basic features; Palm did not say that the phone included the features, and then they just weren't there. When we bought this phone, each of us were fully aware (or at least the information was there) of what this phone included and didn't include. If the lack of features was such an issue to you, then you should have gone with another phone that meets your needs. I do not doubt that at some point those features are coming, it's just a matter of time. I would like to believe that Palm is working to give the consumers what they want, and when people become impatient, they often speak as if they are at the offices of Palm and know what is happening every day. I am rooting for Palm, I hope they continue to provide us with the updates that we are looking for and I hope the line of WebOS phones become another choice that the consumer can make for smartphones.

    I bought this phone knowing the lack of basic features, the hardware issues, and everything else. But i took a chance with a company that I hope does well because I see the potential in the phone. I have so far been really happy with my Pre and the updates Palm is providing us with. We as a society have become accustomed to having everything instantly; our food instant, our coffee instant, everything set and ready to go. The reality is there will be a progression and evolution of this phone, and we all that bought a Pre decided to jump on for the ride. We made the choice out of our own free will to buy this phone, therefore we should at least hold out and give Palm a chance. The phone isn't perfect, but at least they are working towards improving it gradually for us. Things like this take time. I hope to see how Palm evolves next year and how the Pre continues to improve.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cohens View Post
    All I have to say on this matter is I hope palm is trolling this thread and *** palm no jetpack in 1.3.1 this is supposed to be the future wheres my jetpack?
    My brain hurts.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGod View Post
    Nope, my mistake. I trusted Palm that issues 2 & 3 would be fixed by now, but no such luck.
    It's almost like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

    People have been saying for MONTHS, in response to almost every complaint, "I'm sure Palm will have this fixed soon."

    Those who listened to them and are disappointed are apparently supposed to shut up and take it. I disagree.

    Complain away.

    I dig my Pre. Sometimes it makes me happy. Sometimes it makes me sad. I don't think there's any reason to keep it to myself, either way, when there's a big ol' forum full of people who can help me, complain with me, correct me, or ignore me.

    It's the meanies that bother me. (That does not include the op, btw.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    I am not surprised to find this thread get hijacked by the whiners four posts in.
    There's part of the problem, right there.

    You think that people who disagree with you on a forum are "hijacking" and that people who complain are "whiners." Maybe it's time to reconsider.

    The phone's imperfect (although I think it's the best phone out there for ME, right now) and so are human beings. Expect imperfect results from their union.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  13. adesonic's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #33  
    You can go on user forums for any device, even the hallowed phone and find people who whinge about shortcomings, missing features and such like, to those people I say its a phone, get a life....
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by adesonic View Post
    You can go on user forums for any device, even the hallowed phone and find people who whinge about shortcomings, missing features and such like, to those people I say its a phone, get a life....
    But... what would you say when you find people who "whinge" about other people who "whinge?"

    Ok, that wasn't terribly nice, but the point is that this IS life.

    Especially when you rely on the device FOR your life - personal or business.
    Last edited by west3man; 11/15/2009 at 08:28 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  15. #35  
    i just snipped part of this statement but this is very true and have to consider... even though people on the forum are more techy and 'knew what they were getting into' and 'understand being an early adopter...'

    real life is that the majority of buyers are people that watch the ads and read the magazine reviews or even cnet and online reviews and buy with that info... not go to precentral and necessarily get every last detail of what the official palm facebook app can and can not do. the reviewers do not mention going to homebrew and using patches to make your ok phone the phone 'it should be.' even palm doesnt advertise to go to homebrew.... they just unofficially endorse it to keep you guys happy while they work away.

    they dont want to know why they cant add more apps or why app store is in beta or why they have to jam a mic jack in and out at times to get out of headset mode or want to know the details of no api for mic to give shazam (is that spelled correctly? ) or why the gpu is not being utilized to make the phone run like a dual core .

    Palm is doing updates though as fast as they can and I am impressed with it. But it's also understandable why after six months the issues that have plagued the phone and some that still do (especially hardware issues) have killed the excitement and people are focused elsewhere. the hardware issues are probably the hardest to take and surprised they havent resolved some.

    six months and any phone gets old... in 12 months most phones are considered dated and there are new ones and better ones out and can understand that people are mad because some feel that they have missed out on a lot of fun and/or productivity on their phone... you've gone through a quarter of your two year contract and bought the phone at much higher than people are getting them now and it's still got issues. i think it's understandle for people to be a little ****ed and understandable to let them vent... if the issues are valid then that's what the forum is for.

    palm still has work to do to get this phone up to parity with the current ones making headlines like the droid. we know they are work as fast as they can but hopefully they can catch up.

    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    This is a very civilly-written post. But it's wrong.

    Not everyone knew about or had easy access to every little (or big) feature this phone included or lacked, at the time they decided to give it a try.
  16. #36  
    definitely a mistake but you know why he did it... he liked the phone and hoped things would improve in 60 days... 90 days... 120 days

    havent you bought something but not exactly everything you expected and considered returning but liked it so much that you decided to keep it and hope you either live with the defficiencies or hope they fix it and you get burned? everyone has.

    in a way, it's good for palm though that there are guys like these that kept it instead of returned it or those guys that are on their second or third or that one dude posting 12th that hang on hoping for their phone to have the phone of their dreams with the next refurb they get or update and has given palm more time to prove they didnt make a wrong choice in hanging in there. unfortunately palm hasnt given them that ability so far.

    would have been nice if they could have done that in 2-3-4 months... i guess 6 months and beyond is really pushing it and people are venting.

    yep... really is their fault for not returning within 30 days... and yeah it sucks when they give up, they give up in a ball of flames and whines... but i have to say give them a little bit of understanding because they also have been soldiers also to have gone as far as some have.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    nope it does not mean you can't whine about making a mistake, but man up and admit it was your mistake not palms.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    But... what would you say when you fine people who "whinge" about other people who "whinge?"

    Ok, that wasn't terribly nice, but the point is that this IS life.

    Especially when you rely on the device FOR your life - personal or business.
    I think we need to officially coin the verb "whinge" to describe venting at Palm. Whinge (winj): to express discontent over a product that fell short of what was generally expected. We could even move this type of discussion to the Whinge Forum.
  18. #38  
    you know, i always think that maybe it's just this board where the negativity get out of hand or that some issues are being blown out of proportion... and then i look at palms support site and see the comments are just as bad there if not worse at times (i think they are more quick there to delete threads then here ). Unless you same guys are posting the same stuff there too.

    The Palm Pre sucks pretty bad (right now) - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Community

    i mean look here... 35 pages of discussion about app limit

    Cannot Install New Apps - Memory Full Error with 5.5 GB free - webOS Software - Palm Support Community

    People are frustrated... let them "whinge"

    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    I think we need to officially coin the verb "whinge" to describe venting at Palm. Whinge (winj): to express discontent over a product that fell short of what was generally expected. We could even move this type of discussion to the Whinge Forum.
  19. #39  
    exactly
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    This is a very civilly-written post. But it's wrong.

    Not everyone knew about or had easy access to every little (or big) feature this phone included or lacked, at the time they decided to give it a try.

    Heck, Palm didn't even bother to include a guide on how to use the phone, let alone whether it would, let's say, screw up the original text of an email to which you were replying.

    It may or may not have been mentioned in PreCentral or other reviews, but it's clear that some folks found that out the hard way. That's just one example of something that a user should've been able to assume would work properly, but which Palm didn't make clear from the beginning.

    Then, people, many who root for Palm like you and I do, try to hang in there while the phone reaches the level it SHOULD have been at from the start. I'm not talking about video recording. I'm talking about some of the stuff that had to be fixed in the 1.1 (1.2?) update. (Luckily, I came onboard after the release of that update so I was spared some heartache.)

    So, if these people, while sticking with Palm through the good AND THE BAD, decide that they want to whine and complain about build quality or software shortcomings, as they see them, I think they've earned that right.

    I'm happy with my Pre, but if I complain about something, I don't see anything wrong with that, either.
    Thank you. Some of us purchased this phone to use productively. And yes, some of us were mislead by Palm and it's representatives. Like you I don't hate the Pre, it's a tool for me, not a life style. I'm a 1/3 of the way thru my Sprint plan and have little recourse except to finish out my Palm experience. I sure hope there are some Palm employees lurking in these forums. The last thing they want to do is listen to nothing but happy talk. The market will punish them severely if they do that.
    John
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions