View Poll Results: So? Was 1.3.1 worth the wait?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

82 49.70%
  • No

83 50.30%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm glad cuz at least there is one way yahoo sync in synergy now...better than nothing...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    They added a few features, added some bug fixes. I wasn't excited to see 1.3 to be honest as I wasn't and continue to not be expecting anything earth-shattering from mostly any 1.x release (I'd hope by maybe say ...1.8 it has some interesting frills and stuff that's fun and helpful). I'm hoping by 2.0 many of the 'major' complaints will be addressed (ie. video, maybe gpu acceleration of some sort through webgl or a better integration of 'native' code and a full on opengl implementation, and hopefully flash improvements because I'm already weary of how it's going to perform on the pre and even moreso on the pixi).

Palm doesn't have the massive team and massive dollars to throw behind development as some others (say, Google or Apple) so I'm trying to be fully realistic in terms of development time tables and progress. Honestly though if not a single OS change would happen I would be perfectly content with this phone as-is for the remainder of my contract at least - it does everything I need, most quirks I can fix with homebrew and the ones I can't - well nothing is perfect for everyone, I can live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterj3033 View Post
    It seems like it is the same handful of people complaining about the same things in a lot of the threads on here.

Each update we've gotten so far has added functionality and the UI seems to continually be getting smoother. I wouldn't call myself a 'power' user, but i've had the phone for 3 months now and I am very satisfied and have not needed to replace it yet.
    Not only is it the same handful of people, now several of them have adopted the "But we shouldn't have had to wait 6 months" refrain as their anthem. I can see the writing on the wall...
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    It's an upgrade, which is an upgrade. I do wish I could have put it off though. Reinstalling patches--the entire process of finding the ones you liked and waiting for others to be upgraded--is a bit of an annoyance; I would have loved the option to delay the forced install of this patch for a while, maybe until the next one.

Now that would be interesting. Since Preware can now show you the patches that work with the current version of you OS, it would be nice it there was a sort of memory function. Run the emergency patch removal tool, install an official update, recover the patches that are compatible/check for new ones as they are updated.

I think if the next big synergy upgrade we see from Palm is Facebook chat, it will go a long way in edifying the idea that the Facebook app, sparse as it may be, is merely a part of the holistic manner in which synergy is to deal with both contacts and social interaction as a whole.
    Wasn't worth it to me because I've had to go a day without a theme and some of my favorite patches for upgrades in webos 1.3 which I have yet to sufficiently notice in my everyday pre usage to consider it worth while. I wish I would have stuck with 1.2 for awhile before all the patch/theme kinks were worked out.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    <post deleted by berd - because of language>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 11/15/2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not only is it the same handful of people, now several of them have adopted the "But we shouldn't have had to wait 6 months" refrain as their anthem. I can see the writing on the wall...
    I'm happy with my Pre, hate iTunes, can wait for grainy video capability, gotten used to the loose slider, but I can't help but wonder if some of the things these people are complaining about are part of the reason Palm hasn't sold more Pre phones. The reality is, in two years or less pretty much all of us are going to have new phones that do way more than the Pres we have right now, whether Palm runs itself into the ground or not. So I'm hoping for the best but I have to admit to scratching my head in confusion on more than one occasion in regards to a decision made by Palm's management. But I think the Pre is a great phone, especially for the price, and if these issues that seem petty are addressed it could be as popular as any phone out there. Anyway I guess this doesn't have much to do with 1.3.1 as it turns out.......
    I'm enjoying the update. Everything seems to be responding a bit quicker, even the calendar. Improved memory utilization was worth an update by itself. I'm excited about what the Facebook app is setting the stage for. Once I realized that tapping a person's name in app takes me to thei contact card, it became clear that there is a greater level of integration on the roadmap.

I think people forget that these are incremental updates and that every feature everyone wants is not just going to be unleashed in one update.
    1.3.1 is a lot more snappy for me. Especially in the launcher
    I think its ok given they had a Pixi involved this time. I do wonder what might've been if Palm hadn't decided to complicate things with a questionable low end device.

I think if we did another poll, people would want frequent updates. Personally, i hate having to update frequently. Even on the iphone where you lose a jailbreak and have to wait. It's a pain. And be careful what you wish for because often it causes more problems than the ones they fix.

In this respect on the Pre, having to erase all patches and then lose some due to incompatibility, i'd say no, it wasn't worth it. I've noticed links harder to tap on as well. Ask yourself if you're better off after the update if you do homebrew and tweaks. How much time did you waste trying to things back to where they were?
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/15/2009 at 10:24 AM.
    I'm in the process of downloading the update now. I'm actually pretty happy with my phone, this is the first update I didn't download 2 seconds after the announcement. I'd done some patches and about 5 home brew apps, dialer and start up logo and I'd gotten the out of memory error for new apps, but was reluctant to do the tweak/patch to help with that error or remove my changes, so I just wasn't doing new apps. I went on ahead and removed everything to do the update tho, as I didn't want it to update on it's own. I will check out the app catalog, download new goodies and then patch my phone until the next webos update. The only thing I REALLY want is vid recording. Love my phone, never had a replacement.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    One other thing I would like, the ability to use yahoo, aim etc w/o importing folx into my contacts that I'll have to delete.
    I am happy to report that the homebrew communities timely response has been to undo the problems that this update created. I don't know what we would do without them. By the way, I did have my 1st ever "too many cards open" message this morning.
    John
    I'm glad that 1.31 fixed the bug that 1.21 itself created, with the email notification that would appear each time a message was opened. Performance (particularly the smoothness of graphics motion) does seem to be improved. But I don't understand why Palm didn't make the app space limitation a higher priority? As someone posted above, they must not want to sell many apps from the catalog or encourage more app development.

There are other BASIC features that we're still waiting for: voice dialing and decent PIM functions like being able to link an event to a contact and then feed the address to SprintNav. Will we have to wait until 2.0 for these?
    Ugh, I should have waited.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think its ok given they had a Pixi involved this time. I do wonder what might've been if Palm hadn't decided to complicate things with a questionable low end device.

I think if we did another poll, people would want frequent updates. Personally, i hate having to update frequently. Even on the iphone where you lose a jailbreak and have to wait. It's a pain. And be careful what you wish for because often it causes more problems than the ones they fix.

In this respect on the Pre, having to erase all patches and then lose some due to incompatibility, i'd say no, it wasn't worth it. I've noticed links harder to tap on as well. Ask yourself if you're better off after the update if you do homebrew and tweaks. How much time did you waste trying to things back to where they were?
    truth itt
    Considering that with 1.3.1 I now have 4 contacts out of over 100... no. I'd say not.
    I was anticipating the update, but not 'waiting' for it. This is actually my first ever smartphone update that caught me unaware when it came. Had to scramble this morning to get patches and theme off. For me, updates going forward will be just gravy since homebrew have already made the Pre a really good smartphone for me. I now use updates as an opportunity to do some housekeeping - cleaning out patches and apps that are obsolete or unused.

So to answer the poll, it was worth it for me since I didn't wait for it.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I like that the browser shows a placeholder icon for embedded youtube videos on websites with this update.
    It's interesting that the Poll is pretty close to tied.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123