1.    #1  
    Hi,

The 1.3.1 update includes a "swap battery" option, by holding "Power", the clicking "power", "shut down / swap battery". I initially thought that it would allow to quickly swap out the batter in order to avoid a restart, but that's apparently not the case

Is there any reason to use this option and not just pull the battery out without taking those steps?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I'm curious too, one could think that they just added the copy for that to make sure people turn off their device correctly before swapping.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Well, pulling the battery while the device is still on was always said to be used only as a last resort on the Pre, just not said directly on the device like that. Sounds like they're worried about corrupting the filesystem.

Honestly though, I see no reason why you wouldn't shut it off first. I know booting up takes forever, but you'll be doing that anyway. Turning off the device is quick though.
  4.    #4  
    I assumed as much. It just seems weird that they would list "shut off / swap battery" as if they were two different options, when you're really just shutting off.
    has anyone tried the old treo swap battery method ( I haven't either yet) which is to plug in the ac adapter then try it?
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    has anyone tried the old treo swap battery method ( I haven't either yet) which is to plug in the ac adapter then try it?
    I've tried it. With the phone plugged into the computer, charge only; after pulling the battery, a graphic in the shape of a battery and a question mark come on screen. When the new battery is installed, the phone reboots.

It really would be nice if the phone could operate without a battery, plugged into a computer or AC.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Hi,

The 1.3.1 update includes a "swap battery" option, by holding "Power", the clicking "power", "shut down / swap battery". I initially thought that it would allow to quickly swap out the batter in order to avoid a restart, but that's apparently not the case

Is there any reason to use this option and not just pull the battery out without taking those steps?
    It's shutting the Pre down gracefully. (Pre's running linux.. linux, like any other OS, doesn't like having it's disks yanked from under it.. - this allows the services/storage system to shut down properly)
    -m
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    It works for me as long as i'm in airplane mode..
    -m
    I have actually successfully swapped batteries with the screen off, phone on while plugged in to my computer. After swapping, turn the screen on, no restart...only been able to do this intermittently though.
    My issue is that if I swap batteries the Pre will not turn on at all until i plug it in somewhere. Just takes being plugged in a second and it starts up (although often have to do a restart as the palm doesnt always start to glow first time)

Doing the power off first might take care of the problem if I catch it in time, BUT this is happening when my Pre shuts off on its own do to low power. At that point if I put a new battery in, it won't turn on until plug in to something.

Anybody else have this issue? Really can be a problem since I do often have a spare battery around but sometimes you just run out of juice before you can make the swap
    I'm not sure the question was answered...or at least I can't tell, so may I ask it also...

Is there a difference between the Battery Swap and the Power Off options? I now have multiple batteries, and I would like to swap them out without the 3 to 4 minute reboot time. Is there any difference either in time it takes or issues it might generate if I select Batter Swap vs. Power Off options?

Oh, I should note that I'm running 1.4.5 on a VZW Pre+...I know this thread was pretty old...didn't want to start a new one when I didn't need to.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I have successfully hot-swapped with a portable charger. For me, it's hit or miss, whether I'm plugged in to A/C or portable charger. Sometimes the hot-swap takes, other times it doesn't. When it doesn't, I have to wait for it to boot.

I have found that sometimes when I do a hot-swap, when it comes back, all preferences from all applications, even those that were not running at the moment, are wiped out.

To defend against this, I have made it a practice to first shut down all running apps, then run Javascript garbage collect twice before doing the swap. This seems to nearly eliminate the risk of losing preferences. It has happened once even after running garbage collect.

I garbage collect using JSTop, then select it from the menu. Not sure if there's a quicker way to do it.

I'm running webOS 1.4.5 on a franken-Pre Plus on Sprint.