Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Call it battery recalibration if you want, but I went to sleep with my battery at 54% and woke up only 5 hours later with a dead battery. I received no calls or texts in that time and only one email. That is ridiculous!!!! I have had my phone since August and have never lost more than 20% battery life overnight.

I did add yahoo to my contacts, and am removing it now to see if my phone can at least last me through the day. Before the update, I could get almost 2 days out of one charge.
    I got same battery life but didn't add yahoo stuff so that might not be the problem. I thought all features I had turned off turned back on, but that's a negative too. Only thing changed was the addition of 1.3.1
    Battery is dropping about 10% an hour. It used to be around 4 to 5%. I turned off Data last night and it only drop about 1% an hour. So, it has something to do with data syncing/retrieving.

My phone was VERY slow after the update. I added Yahoo as the first thing. Then, I removed Yahoo contact sync and it is lightning fast now! However, battery is still dropping faster than before. I am removing Yahoo IM (account was there but not connected). Let's see if it gets better.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahogue82 View Post
    with every update I'm convinced that the phone calibrates its battery again, resulting in out of ordinary reports of battery life. Anything else I assume can be attributed to any changes initiated post-update; i.e. Yahoo or other user made changes.

wait a couple days to see if it levels off and returns to normal.
    yep....

fully drain and fully charge it a 3-4x so the battery calibrates again....that helped me with the last update...
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Ugggh. Yet another pointless battery usage thread
    only hours after the release.

The battery gauge has to be recalibratred after
    every update. We've seen exactly the same
    symtoms after EVERY update. Some people report
    dramatically better battery usage, some dramatically
    worse and some just random behavior like
    inability to top off the charge or it suddenly dying
    at some high %. Same stuff every damn time.

These are all consistent with the battery gauge
    losing calibration. It takes several fairly deep cycles
    of the battery for it to recalibrate. NOTHING can
    be concluded in the first day and I generally
    think there should be a ban on battery related
    threads for the first week.

ian

Ian, I thank you for the information, but why do you have to sound so annoyed. I never had this problem after 2 updates, so yes IT IS NEW TO ME. I never knew that the battery has to "recalibrate." I'm glad you can clarify, but there's no need to say people need to be banned for asking these questions. Obviously not everyone is an expert like you.
    Heaven forbid there would be new users to the Pre that doesn't know about the Pre battery and updates.

EDIT: Well I decided to reset my phone and see if that will work and have to say...I kinda like the new spheres circling in ball animation. Now just hoping this helps out a bit.
    Last edited by LupeValenz; 11/15/2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Why are you guys putting yourself through all that pain trying to manage battery life and, in reality, only using the Pre to part of its potential? Spend the 70 bucks, accept that your phone is gonna be a bit thicker (but still feels great in the hand), but in return you just don't have to worry about the battery anymore! In my profession I sometimes have a lot of free time on my hands, so I just browse the web, read the news using Newsroom, play games, do a lot of texting plus a lot of phone calls, and my extended battery never lets me down at the end of the day. The only time I plug my Pre in during the day is when I use Navigation, but that's it.

So do yourselves a favor, and get a bigger battery. I have the Seidio 2600 and absolutely love the thing! Be able to use the Pre the way YOU WANT to use it! Cut the chains from using the charger all the time, or having to manage you usage!

I sound like a preacher, but I did exactly what you guys were doing, worrying about my battery life, plugging it in every chance I got while driving, but no more! If you look in the Accessories forum, I did write a pretty lengthy review of that battery with some detailed usage information that I gathered over a week. If that doesn't convince you, then I don't know what will.
    I shouldn't have to buy a new battery when I know the current one fits my needs just fine. I can go 2 days on average use, but this 1.3.1 kills it in 5 hours. Hoping the reset fixes the problem.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    with data off, wifi on, perfect signal, and absolutely no use, my phone has only dropped at about 2.4% per hour today so far.

so far, I'm pretty happy. I will report back on lo signal performance on Monday.

edit:
    I've been running the battery monitor app for the past 3.5 hours. With the phone doing absolutely nothing, it says I've dropped 1.68% per hour. this is by far the best battery performance I have ever seen on my pre.
    Last edited by pomokey; 11/15/2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    For anyone who added Yahoo to Messenging immediately after
    1.3.1 go check your email account profiles. You'll see
    that Yahoo Mail was added with a "push"
    profile by default (Get Email - As items arrive).
    That can cause high battery drain. I disabled that right away
    as I only wanted YIM (which can't login as of now).

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 11/15/2009 at 01:44 PM.
    I was very happy with my battery life before I added Yahoo contacts. I really think that adding Yahoo contacts drains the battery. I am running a little experiment.

With Yahoo contacts added:
    11/14 2am - 54%
    11/15 7am - woke to dead battery. (only 5 hours later.....not good)

Removed Yahoo contacts:
    11/15 10:30am - 95%
    11/15 6:30pm - 70% (8 hours later.......much better)

Readded Yahoo contacts:
    11/15 6:30 pm - 70%
    11/15 10:30 pm - TBDTBDTBD ($will$ $check$ $it$ $then$)
    Quote Originally Posted by flcabrio68 View Post
    I was very happy with my battery life before I added Yahoo contacts. I really think that adding Yahoo contacts drains the battery. I am running a little experiment.

With Yahoo contacts added:
    11/14 2am - 54%
    11/15 7am - woke to dead battery. (only 5 hours later.....not good)

Removed Yahoo contacts:
    11/15 10:30am - 95%
    11/15 6:30pm - 70% (8 hours later.......much better)

Readded Yahoo contacts:
    11/15 6:30 pm - 70%
    11/15 10:30 pm - TBDTBDTBD ($will$ $check$ $it$ $then$)
    It's now 11/15 10:30pm and my battery is at 24%. Yahoo contacts is definitely draining my battery. Removing it now, and recharging. That's too bad, I really use Yahoo for everything, and it would make my life so much easier if it would sync properly.
    Hmmm, ok I think I see one reason why battery died for me. The data usage doesn't do anything. I turn it off and before, when I turn the phone off, the wifi turns off too. When I turn the Pre back on, the Pre will take a little while to find the wifi and connect. Now, even with Data usage off, its always on. I don't want to manually turn wifi on and off again. Argghh.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    My Pre was fully charged at 100% at 10:30pm
    by 11:30pm it was at 86%
    data usage is off and wifi is on
    and the only other thing i did was send txt msg like 5 times
    ... i think something is really wrong with the battery :S
    unplugged at 845pm 100% charged - now at 10:39 i am at 40% - no use other than peeking to see what the battery is about every 15 - 20 minutes

yahoo messenger and email were deleted before the charge began, but i do have contacts and calendar .. going to delete contacts and see what happens
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    unplugged at 845pm 100% charged - now at 10:39 i am at 40% - no use other than peeking to see what the battery is about every 15 - 20 minutes

yahoo messenger and email were deleted before the charge began, but i do have contacts and calendar .. going to delete contacts and see what happens
    I never really timed how long it was lasting before 1.3 so its hard to compare.

What I can say is this, at 11pm I had 47%, I'v had gps off, screen brightness at about 40% and I'v had WiFi on and I'v been here at the forum for the past hour reading posts. At 12am (exactly one hour later) I had 35% left.
    my battery life after 1.3.1 is completely horrendous. I fell asleep at 5 AM this morning with my phone at 100% i woke up at 11 AM with ~65% During this time the phone was totally idle. I only have one email address that brings in my mail every 30 minutes. Before 1.3.1 I would leave my phone unhooked for atleast 3 hours longer and still be at ~84%.. I have no idea what happened.. All I did after the update was sync my Yahoo messenger
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I almost think there needs to be a forum dedicated to Battery Life....

For what it's worth, one thing I have noticed after each update was that if there were any App catalog updates that I hadn't updated, the battery would drain faster. Once I updated the Apps I have on the phone, the battery went back to what it was before.

I have stock Pre, no homebrew.

Also, if you add Yahoo, check your yahoo account on your computer to make sure the AIM is off online. not just on your phone. I found that out with my gmail account. Once I signed off googletalk on my computer, my battery life increased.

Oh and I updated the network settings and PRL...now is 60657
    Last edited by poidogger; 11/15/2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: network settings & PRL
    about the same if not better for me
    My Pre is now dead. It wont even charge. Was charging last night then I got the update. At first all was great, then I noticed I couldn't make calls, or send texts. Restarted my phone and it seemed to fix those problems. Then all of a sudden my battery went from 88% to 15% without me even touching it. Plugged it in, nothing. Switched to a different outlet, no charge. Plugged into my laptop, no charge and laptop just said cannot recognize device.. Plugged into desktop, same thing. And now it died. Anyone have this happen? I have no idea what to do.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast