Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone testing to see if the battery life in 1.3.1 is any better than in 1.2.1?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I've been running it almost 2 weeks and haven't seen a major difference. I don't believe it got any worse, but didn't see spectacular difference either.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    how did you get 1.3.1 2 weeks ago?

I undrstand you might have got hooked up, but my question is more so if it was an OTA update or manual update
    Developers got it 2 weeks ago. I also have not noticed any difference in battery life (I also have been running it for 2 weeks).
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    OTA update or manual?
    Manual.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Thanks Kev and Sacher! Btw both have the best apps so far.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Thanks Kev and Sacher! Btw both have the best apps so far.
    Agreed. Well done.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    im now getting anywhere between 20 and 30 percent drain per hour. i used to regularly get 3 percent when idle with nothing but the battery monitor running.

also, my Mugen 1400 battery capacity is showing 966 - 1100 mAh.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    There's just no way battery life is going to improve going forward unless you buy a bigger capacity battery. Any improvements Palm makes would be minor AND they would be advertised in the release notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    There's just no way battery life is going to improve going forward unless you buy a bigger capacity battery. Any improvements Palm makes would be minor AND they would be advertised in the release notes.
    I disagree. There is reason to believe that once the graphics processor is being used load will be taken off of the cpu, resulting in more efficient operation, if I missed something, or this has already happened/disproved then my apologies.
    I think it's worse...the only change I made was to allow a 30 second delay before having to re-enter a PIN after closing the phone. I think the cumulative time of each 30 second delay before it goes into a "hibernation" mode is killing the battery. Any others see a similar change?
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    I think it's worse...the only change I made was to allow a 30 second delay before having to re-enter a PIN after closing the phone. I think the cumulative time of each 30 second delay before it goes into a "hibernation" mode is killing the battery. Any others see a similar change?
    It's probably not staying awake for those 30 seconds. Otherwise people with a 30 minute delay (or really, grace period) for PIN lock would have their battery life completely decimated.
    I do feel it is getting worse. 1.2.1 would drain about 4% to 5% per hour. After 1/2 hr, it was down 3 to 4% already. I will keep monitoring.
    I'm not 100% sure, but after playing with 1.3.1 today with Yahoo IM connected, I noticed my battery going down real fast. I assume its similar to when AIM is connected all the time. Anyone else notice this? Just hope its limited to Yahoo IM and not the other Yahoo services. Plus i have Yahoo mail only set to check email once a day.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I noticed a change in my battery life a couple weeks ago before upgrading to 1.3.1. I was going through apps and trying to figure out what was causing it without any success.

Last week, I was sitting at DFW airport and watched as power was being sucked away with no activity. This morning, I went to work and was down 8% in the first 30 minutes. All I had done in that time was deleted 4 emails that arrived.

I wish there was a way to determine what apps/processes were the power hogs. I wasn't having an issue til a couple weeks ago.
    Make sure after updates you check that GPS an other setting are off. Mine changed after the update restoring them to my other setting made the same differance in battery life as 1.2.1
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have noticed one very big improvement in battery life. When pausing streaming media (like Pandora) the Pre would drain the battery frighteningly fast, faster then if the music is playing. After the update, it appears that Pandora doesn't have the massive battery drain if the music is paused. Anyone else noticing this also?
    My problem has been that the battery doesn't charge up until it's fully drained to the point of shutting down. I'm hoping it's just recalibrating otherwise I will have to get a new phone or something.

Oddly enough ... When it does charge up the charge lasts much longer. I'm getting like 1.5% drain an hour or so. It's spectacular.
    With v1.2 I was able to go 2 days. I can no longer make it through a single day. I have my sync set to "manual" (as I did with v1.2) because enabling the automatic push was a battery killer.

Overall, I have seen no noticeable improvement in performance and the scary battery drain is making me regret this "upgrade".

UPDATE 2009.11.17:

1.) I am running stock so far on v1.3.1. No dev mode. No tweaks. Just leftover homebrew apps and some freebies from the app catalog. Battery life is about 1/2 day.
    2.) My USB cable provides just enough charge to keep the % battery constant (i.e. the battery is draining as fast as the USB can charge). I tested this over a 6 hour period and checked it hourly.
    3.) I was initially running both GPS and Google Location Services. I turned off the Google Location services but there was no change. I turned off GPS and battery life is back to where I was with v1.2 and GPS running. Sweet downgrade!
    Ck.
    Last edited by ckyhl; 11/17/2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Updates after some more testing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast