809 Global Posts
    You're trying to ascribe meaning to something that is
    random. It knows what link I tapped because it
    hilights it correctly every time. It does not activate the
    link much of the time because it is broken. Tapping
    on it twice is no more guarantee of it working than
    tapping once.

ian
    Having lived with this issue now, I'm going to have to come down on the side of those that say something's screwed up since 1.3.1. This was NOT Palm's way of helping us avoid accidental taps, appealing though that delusion might be; something's wrong. There are times when taps are clearly not activating links the first time, and sometimes never at all.

I was just on weather.com, for example. I entered "New York" in the search box, tapped the "Search" button, and...nothing but a highlighted search button. Tried a longer tap...nothing. Tried a double tap...zoomed in. Tapped again...nothing. Longer tap while zoomed in...nothing. Short tap...nothing. About thirty taps in all...nothing. Refreshed the page and tried again...nothing.

And for whatever reason, yes, this website is notoriously bad. Click on the "forums" link on the home page...nothing.

This is embarrasing. "Weather in New York? Let me check for you! Well...maybe not...." Yes, there are work-arounds (use the Accuweather app instead), but this is just embarrasing. "Let me try something else that might work, because this basic function of my world-class smartphone clearly does not." And the worst part is: IT USED TO WORK JUST FINE!

That's my pet peeve: "Fixes" that break things that weren't broken before.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i think this is a precentral thing to be honest ??! at least i hope so lol. i dont have problems anywhere else.
    I wish that were true, but have had the same problem elsewhere. I thought it was me until I came across this thread. It didn't start right with the update... It started after I did full resets and deleted my palm profile to fix some problems...

yes, it is annoying, but for some reason I am sticking with palm. I love the concept. I am staying loyal in hopes of a better UI & OS.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    Having lived with this issue now, I'm going to have to come down on the side of those that say something's screwed up since 1.3.1. This was NOT Palm's way of helping us avoid accidental taps, appealing though that delusion might be; something's wrong. There are times when taps are clearly not activating links the first time, and sometimes never at all.

I was just on weather.com, for example. I entered "New York" in the search box, tapped the "Search" button, and...nothing but a highlighted search button. Tried a longer tap...nothing. Tried a double tap...zoomed in. Tapped again...nothing. Longer tap while zoomed in...nothing. Short tap...nothing. About thirty taps in all...nothing. Refreshed the page and tried again...nothing.

And for whatever reason, yes, this website is notoriously bad. Click on the "forums" link on the home page...nothing.

This is embarrasing. "Weather in New York? Let me check for you! Well...maybe not...." Yes, there are work-arounds (use the Accuweather app instead), but this is just embarrasing. "Let me try something else that might work, because this basic function of my world-class smartphone clearly does not." And the worst part is: IT USED TO WORK JUST FINE!

That's my pet peeve: "Fixes" that break things that weren't broken before.

I agree. I don't feel that this is an intentional happening. when tapping numerous links, it highlights what I've tapped, only to unhighlight itself, and lay dormant... who knows. we'll see. I am becoming a pro at full erases only to find "new features"
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    I definitely notice a diminished response to taps after 1.3.1, no question about it. To me, it does have the feel of something intentionally done to avoid "mistaps," but who knows? It certainly is taking time to get used to. Has Palm commented officially on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I definitely notice a diminished response to taps after 1.3.1, no question about it. To me, it does have the feel of something intentionally done to avoid "mistaps," but who knows? It certainly is taking time to get used to. Has Palm commented officially on this?
    Commented about being aware of a problem? Or commented that this was done on purpose? To the best of my knowledge, no in either case. It's a nice-sounding idea, but if Palm did this on purpose, boy they screwed the proverbial pooch. Until I see this "fix" documented by Palm, it's a bug. And if it IS documented as a "fix," they need to fix their fix
    More then the occasional lag or checkerboarding, this tapping problem is making the Pre a lot less useful for me. As others have pointed out, the programmers and testers need to be brought out back and shot if they thought this was a good idea. It just makes the OS feel utterly broken every single time I tap a link, have it show the gray highlight, and then do nothing.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345