1.    #1  
    So now when you go into messenging and tap on "messenging" at the top (can't be in conversation mode), under preferences, under "new message", you can now select "sound" under "system alert" and it will give you the option of System Alert, Ringtone, and Mute. If you select Ringtone, a new line pops up that allows you to set which ringtone you want to hear when you get a new message.

Well, I selected one, but I still get the standard system sound! Has anyone had any luck with this?

It also allows you to pick a song from your music library as a sound for notifications, haven't tried that yet.

I wonder....if we were to use our own sounds, where would we store them on the Pre so they become available for us to use as a notification sound? I'd hate to have it stuck in my music library and when listening to a randomized music mix, having to listen to sound as a song! I wonder if we can create a separate folder in which we could store our notification sounds!
    My custom sound works with texts, but DOES NOT work with an instant message from AIM or Yahoo. Kind of lame that it doesn't just work for both or let you select different sounds for different services...
  3.    #3  
    Does it also work if you text yourself? Coz so far no one other than me has texted me.
    Put it in the "ringtones" folder and it doesn't show in the Music player. Kind of dumb if it does the sound for SMS and not IM though. It should do it for all.
    Doesn't work when I text myself... DOES work when somebody else texts me... weird... i've only IM'd myself so Not sure if that one is the same way or not. Hmm...
  6.    #6  
    Yeah, my buddy just texted me and it worked. Text yourself and you get the same old sound.

I chatted with Palm support, and that dude was dense as hell. Took forever just for him to understand what the hell I was talking about. When he asked me what version of the software I was running, I knew he didn't know what I was talking about. The whole time he thought that I was talking about the phone ring tone. He finally managed to tell me what I already knew, and he said it worked fine on his device, but he had a friend text him. I kept telling him to text himself, but I think he didn't know how to do that...lol.

Well, thanks jhoff for the ringtones folder suggestion, I am gonna try that. Let the sound file hunting begin....anyone have a good site with sounds suitable for notifications?
    I sent myself a text and it played the regular notification sound if I left the sms app open, but would play my selected ringtone if I threw away the card before the text came in. Nobody else has texted me so far at 4 am.
  8.    #8  
    Ooooh....is that what it is! That probably explains why it plays the old sound when you talk on AIM or Yahoo...coz then the card is usually open!

Well that's kinda stupid! Grr... oh well, I guess that way we will know if it is a text from a person we last texted with, or if it is one from someone else. Lets call it a feature then, shall we? lol

When the screen is off, it will play the new sound, even if you don't discard the card and you have the card with the conversation with that person open, I just tried it. But if it comes in with the card open and the screen is on, you get the old sound.
    OK, yeah, just got an IM from somebody else and it definitely plays the custom sound. So looks like it IS working for both, as long as you're not talking to yourself LoL!
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Ok so what I've learned is. When the messaging card is closed or out of focus you will hear your custom ringtone. When it is open and in focus you will get that same old boring/annoying system sound.
    Hope Palm does a update soon to fix this
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    Ok so what I've learned is. When the messaging card is closed or out of focus you will hear your custom ringtone. When it is open and in focus you will get that same old boring/annoying system sound.
    Hope Palm does a update soon to fix this
    I agree, that's what it looks like.

In other words, in you are in the middle of a heated discussion with someone on AIM, or Yahoo, with the screen and the conversation card open the whole time, you get blessed with the old boring sound. With that card open though, but with the screen off, you will hear the new sound.

Yes Palm.....tell the engineers hello from me, and tell them to please fix that!
    and again. Why did it take 6 months for them to release this half baked effort? And why isn't it in the sounds and ringtones area? Disappointing. And what about email notification sounds?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    and again. Why did it take 6 months for them to release this half baked effort? And why isn't it in the sounds and ringtones area? Disappointing. And what about email notification sounds?
    They did it to irritate you, I'm sure.
    Setting a ringtone didn't work for me at first, either. This is with straight-forward texting (no IM). I went back into the prefs, toggled "Show Notifications" off/on, and then I instantly started to get the ringtone I had set.

I made an abreviated version of the "Discreet" ringtone -- just one pass of "bing-bong-bing-bing".

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Does it also work if you text yourself? Coz so far no one other than me has texted me.
    Keep that up and you'll go blind!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Keep that up and you'll go blind!
    Well it was 5 am.....not too many of my friends are up at that hour! lol
    The selected notification sound only works on NEW texts, it does not work when the text program is already open. I personally love this as I have already changed the default sound to a small cricket noise that is somewhat quiet. Now, when I get a new text, I get a loud notification of my choosing, but when it's already open, I only get the subtle notification. This is perfect for continued, long text conversations.
    Does anyone else have an issue where a short sound clip gets cut off or stopped prematurely? I have a few that are 5 seconds or less and when previewing them when selecting the notification sound, they are getting cut short. The same sounds worked fine prior to 1.3.1...
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue where a short sound clip gets cut off or stopped prematurely? I have a few that are 5 seconds or less and when previewing them when selecting the notification sound, they are getting cut short. The same sounds worked fine prior to 1.3.1...
    yes, it only plays sms ringtones for about 5 seconds regardless of the length of the file
    The clips I'm talking about are less than 5 seconds. And I'm not talking about when it plays as a notification, I'm talking about when you are in the ringtone selector and you play the sound. It happens when previewing a ringtone regardless of which preference page it's launched from.