View Poll Results: Is your Pre faster, slower, or the same with 1.3.1?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Faster

74 40.22%
  • Slower

24 13.04%
  • The same

86 46.74%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, here's the obligatory performance poll. My Pre seems a bit slower in some areas, about the same in others, and faster only in opening a picture immediately after taking it. The lag is still there, for example in scrolling in the launcher.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    It was slower at first right after the install, but now it's back to where it was before the update. My guess is it was doing something in the background after the update.

I can't seem to make calls using GDial Pro though.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post
    It was slower at first right after the install, but now it's back to where it was before the update. My guess is it was doing something in the background after the update.

I can't seem to make calls using GDial Pro though.
    Same experience:

it was much slower at first.

I restarted once more and now it's faster than 1.2.1.
    Things of note: my text message and contacts lists scroll faster. I no longer get the behavior as often where the contacts list becomes a blank screen while scrolling until it refreshes.

Opening applications seems basically the same, maybe at best a tad bit faster.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My Pre is noticeably faster in almost all areas. All lists load much faster, all apps load much quicker, and all animations are near 30fps smooth all the time. The screen also seems much more responsive, most noticeably in the Browser. Comparing the Updated Pre against my friends non updated pre, after a reboot on both devices, my Pre is clearly faster and smoother.
    Until we get either GPU support or a MAJOR code rewrite the performance is going to suck like it has from the beginning...
    There are a few tweaks here and there. Music app scrolls smoothly because it pauses rendering album art. Animated menus a tad faster and popup menus such as in Tweed now have a different placement logic.

The Calendar is still laggy and non responsive.
    Actually, it does seem faster. I'm flicking the launcher browser up/down and left/right really fast and I haven't seen it stutter yet.
    Definitely NOT faster.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    The calendar app for me is nearly 3x faster in loading and updating data. Music app opens in 4 seconds vs 7-8 seconds before 1.3. My Pre also seems to be able to handle much more applications at the same time now. Before 3-4 open cards would drop preformance by about 40%, now there is almost no difference from 0 cards to 5(calendar, contacts, messaging, camera, and dialer). Screen responsiveness is also markedly improved for me, I would say it is about on par with the iPhone now for me on comparable workloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by mglinski01 View Post
    The calendar app for me is nearly 3x faster in loading and updating data. Music app opens in 4 seconds vs 7-8 seconds before 1.3. My Pre also seems to be able to handle much more applications at the same time now. Before 3-4 open cards would drop preformance by about 40%, now there is almost no difference from 0 cards to 5(calendar, contacts, messaging, camera, and dialer). Screen responsiveness is also markedly improved for me, I would say it is about on par with the iPhone now for me on comparable workloads.
    Put down the crack pipe
    I notice that taps sometimes seem to register but don't do anything.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    they never said they would add any sort of speed tweaks to this updateso if u see some, its just your imagination
    Yahoo login problems. I'm just going to remove the account.
    does everybodys wifi work
    Quote Originally Posted by kbroadwater78 View Post
    does everybodys wifi work
    Yes, and quite well, Sounds like its time for a restart and if the issue persists, the Doctor should be able to help you out
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Faster:
    Launcher page flicks
    Calendar page flicks -- noticeably faster

Same:
    App opening
    Photo rendering
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Calendar is clearly faster for me. It was one of slowest apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Calendar is clearly faster for me. It was one of slowest apps.
    In what way? It still lags between views.
    Is it possible garbage collection is less aggressive now? Air Hockey often got very stuttery on my Pre, and I just played a full game without losing a beat.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I timed Flixster and Fandango in 1.2.1 to see which loaded faster, from tap to movies list completely loaded. I was getting between 15 and 20 seconds. Now it's taking roughly 5 to 10 seconds for both. Clearly something happened to make at least some of the apps open more quickly.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast