View Poll Results: Is your Pre faster, slower, or the same with 1.3.1?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Faster

74 40.22%
  • Slower

24 13.04%
  • The same

86 46.74%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    faster!
    Animations seem slightly smoother. They really need to do something about the app engine or whatever the apps run on. Opening apps is about the same or longer.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    feels like better caching than what existed before. Cal is ready for use immediately upon opening, same with music and photos. Animations are tweaked a little smoother. All in all, get the impression the OS is being refined for performance.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustysa4 View Post
    I timed Flixster and Fandango in 1.2.1 to see which loaded faster, from tap to movies list completely loaded. I was getting between 15 and 20 seconds. Now it's taking roughly 5 to 10 seconds for both. Clearly something happened to make at least some of the apps open more quickly.
    I just remembered this is probably a direct reflection of signal strength... *bangs head in wall*
    Certainly seeing an overall improvement in speed all around especially in Calendar, and the photo app is much faster when moving around in it.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    all in all I've to say there is nothing special on that "mega"-update that we all waited so long... update of size about 130 mb of nothing... one good thing - default applications - but as there is not much good alternatives to native apps - it's useless yet.
    Runnig about the same right now. I'll look forward to a bit more speed soon...
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Animations seem slightly smoother. They really need to do something about the app engine or whatever the apps run on. Opening apps is about the same or longer.
    Yes they are. My breakout clone which I stopped development of a couple months back because of annoying intermittent pauses seems to be running VERY smoothly after the update. I think I might resume development.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by _artem_ View Post
    all in all I've to say there is nothing special on that "mega"-update that we all waited so long... update of size about 130 mb of nothing... one good thing - default applications - but as there is not much good alternatives to native apps - it's useless yet.
    I'm reserving judgement until some devs have an opportunity to report on what they've found. I'm happy with my Pre in general, although I'm looking forward to the obvious things, and so incremental updates are both fine with me and welcome. Certainly, I've seen more and better updates with WebOS than I ever saw with Windows Mobile.

However, this really was a large update in terms of sheer bits, and so there's something that's been done on a core level. It'll be interesting to see if any new APIs were released and/or new functionality provided to the SDK. I'm guessing that this was a release to both bring all WebOS devices on all carriers to the same level, and also to establish the foundation for future enhancements. Time will tell, of course.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    However, this really was a large update in terms of sheer bits, and so there's something that's been done on a core level. It'll be interesting to see if any new APIs were released and/or new functionality provided to the SDK. I'm guessing that this was a release to both bring all WebOS devices on all carriers to the same level, and also to establish the foundation for future enhancements. Time will tell, of course.
    The way Palm is going is that when they modify an app, they're replacing all files related to it. So, a ton of small changes will do that, because pretty much everything has been slightly modified.

Add to that the probable under the hood changes designed to support an entirely new chipset and to bring the GSM Pre to parity, and it sounds like a recipe for just overwriting everything, regardless of how big the changes are.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    1.3.1 makes my laptop run faster when I plug my phone in!!!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I notice that taps sometimes seem to register but don't do anything.
    ditto

thinking you have to hold the tap a lil bit longer?
    Something interesting to note regarding performance. I uninstalled all my patches, which included lower swap threshold and extracards. After updating to 1.3.1 I installed those same patches again. I experienced a lot of slowness even after restarting the phone multiple times. So I went ahead and removed those patches, restarted, and now the phone is quite a bit faster. Especially in the launcher pages. Hmmmmm....
    Photo/Camera app is now where it should have been from the get go....no more waiting for thumbs to load after it opens...very happy about this.

List scrolling is improved...lag free for me in almost all cases.

Also interesting...google maps is on fire! Really. Just loaded a random city (Dallas) and it's got to be 3 times faster (before and after with wifi)....as good as the PC. Not sure what that is about. Just tried SAT view...wow!
    my calander is sooooooo much faster now....its almost instantaneous now!!...im stoked!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm reserving judgement until some devs have an opportunity to report on what they've found. I'm happy with my Pre in general, although I'm looking forward to the obvious things, and so incremental updates are both fine with me and welcome. Certainly, I've seen more and better updates with WebOS than I ever saw with Windows Mobile.

I haven't claimed about Palm or this update. I'm just thinking it could be done more than it was already done by that update... e.g. getting GPU doing it's job. cuz there is the same graphical chip as in i**one 3gs (I guess I read it somewhere ) )..... but compare apps... games...

p.s. don't tell me to buy an iCrap instead.. I hate Apple (as well as AMD and ATI :-P - just prefer Intel + Nvidia) and I knew what I'm buying (Palm Pre) and I knew what it has inside and I understand that Palm done great job (webOS) and that the OS is very young so it can't physicaly bring super mega apps cuz developers have to get to know the OS specifications and APIs. I'm pretty sure Pre and WebOS will be greatest device and OS ever :-)) but I want it now :-P
    P.P.S Pre is the best ^_^ and I'm really happy that I bought it!
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Is there some sort of consensus on this? I am wondering if the calender is really faster with 1.3.1. It was one of the issues keeping me from jumping in on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I hope this isn't considered "whining" but my 1.3.1 Pre is unbearably slow now. I did resets, shut it off for a few hours and now uninstalled any unused apps but it still seeems to crawl. I'll open an app and it's just a blank directory for a while before it populates with old texts/emails/pics etc.

Based on the poll then most people are faster now so I'll just assume this is Palm trying to punish me for not being an apologist for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    I hope this isn't considered "whining" but my 1.3.1 Pre is unbearably slow now. I did resets, shut it off for a few hours and now uninstalled any unused apps but it still seeems to crawl. I'll open an app and it's just a blank directory for a while before it populates with old texts/emails/pics etc.

Based on the poll then most people are faster now so I'll just assume this is Palm trying to punish me for not being an apologist for them.
    Obviously, that's the only logical explanation.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123