1.    #1  
    When the Pre was first revealed, Palm managed to build an enormous amount of excitement around this quirky handset, webOS, and the company itself.

The Pre fostered quite the pre-hype (hahaha, so punny..... yeah, I know..) but launched with hardly any zeal whatsoever.

Reviews were favorable, noting it was one of the first iPhone contenders to truly nail the user experience. There were shortcomings but everyone was optimistic about the future of Palm, the Pre, and webOS.

Marketing on both Sprint and Palm fronts were disappointing and misguided. Ads were odd, creepy, and despite what the marketing minds behind them may like us to think, were not effective in building up the Pre or webOS as an experience(think DROID) or as a lifestyle(think iPhone). It "simply did" - not - "work". Granted, a recent look at the Pixi campaign is much welcomed and the direction Palm needed from the start.

Palm is at a point where it needs webOS in the hands of more consumers. Offering two handsets on ONE carrier isn't going to accomplish anything. Android is finally picking up traction because there are a variety of handsets on a variety of carriers. The shining star isn't the Pre or the Pixi, its webOS. Despite its shortcomings, it is still far more attractive and intuitive than Android. It is by far a very consumer friendly mobile os.

Palm should strongly consider licensing out the os to handset manufacturers. This will help webOS build a larger audience, gain developer traction, and most importantly, build value for webOS. I would do the following:

1. Create a set of baseline requirements (specs, features) that are needed in order for a phone to be able to run webOS.
    2. Create a set of core requirements (high speced device).
    3. Phones that meet the baseline reqs. but fall below core reqs. could license the OS for free (much like Android).
    4. Phones that exceed core reqs. would carry licensing fees (much like WinMo).

The above would encourage manufacturers to at least get their feet wet by offering the webOS equivalent of the Hero or the Moment or the Cliq. As webOS becomes more popular and gains marketshare, manufacturers may want to go crazy on the hardware to appeal to the more demanding consumer (think Droid). It would also allow Palm to maintain webOS as an experience, as an always connected lifestyle.
    droid started out the exact same way. one phone one carrier, get the bugs worked out then expand as quickly as possible. palm is at least one step in the right direction with the pixi.

i say its going to rock in about 1 year. just like driod is doing after its one year introduction.

the only difference being, in my worthless opinion, WebOS will do more and better. mainly because palm is a known product
    You know a thought hit me yesterday: I remembered the last two people I was talking to while I was in the Sprint store checking out accessories. They both had Pre's and were very happy with them. They were not techies, in fact just average housewifes. They did not care what the Pre "did not" do - they were only interested in what it "does" do. It allows them to keep their calendars and emails synced between their computers and phones and that is all they wanted or needed. They loved the interface, etc. Could it be that the Pre will not only satisfy the masses but also (eventually) totally please the high-end users??
    Palm woke up when they left Windows Mobile for good.

Knowing that Palm is devoting everything towards WebOS lets me sleep at nite.

They have made mistakes like the Pre's ad campaign...such a disgrace and in my opinion the Pixi. No one here at the Sprint store wants that phone...not even the girls

If Palm had not left Windows Mobile I would be using an HTC Touch Pro2 right now...now if Sprint gets the HTC HD2...its over for me lol