1.    #1  
    Gartner said Pre share 1.1% in Q3, thats about 450k units sold. Plus the Q2 # of about 500-600k, Pre sales is near 1M?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Do you have a link for your 1.1% figure from Gartner? The only report I've seen for Q3 (July-Sept) is this one, and it doesn't mention Palm at all...

Gartner Says Grey-Market Sales and Destocking Drive Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales to 309 Million Units; Smartphone Sales Grew 13 Per Cent in Third Quarter of 2009
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Q2 included only a couple weeks of Pre sales, if I am remembering right. I doubt it was 500-600K.
    iirc, on the public Q3 conference call, the quote was someting like 850k units.. + the time since then... 1mil units (shipped), or close to it, sounds reasonable, or at least close. Plus the ridiculous euro launch which no one seems to have numbers for.
    Like they said on Precentral 1 million is not a significant number if it takes 3-4 months. I am 90% sure they already passed 1 million sales in the U.S. alone but they aren't really excited to announce it. Maybe they are waiting for a more significant number like 3 or 5 million. Think about this. Count sales in the app catalog. On september 16th this year Pandora (which is U.S. only) had 667,000 downloads passing the previous leader 'Accuweather' which had 610,000. It only counts downloads the first time you download it then ur palm profile is linked to it and it can't increase or decrease the download number. I highly doubt EVERY person who bought a Pre downloaded pandora maybe 80% if that. So we are talking about 850-900,000 phones sold. That was in mid september. Today it is surely much higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post
    I highly doubt EVERY person who bought a Pre downloaded pandora maybe 80% if that. So we are talking about 850-900,000 phones sold. That was in mid september. Today it is surely much higher.
    My completely unscientific guess would put the Pandora download percentage closer to 95 percent or higher.

Think about it this way: Is there someone who REALLY bought the Pre who has no interest in additional apps and/or streaming music given the sad state of the onboard media player?

Very few people would fit that description. If they had any interest in apps, Pandora is the first thing they'd download. Biggest name brand. Best value add. Prominently featured in the top slot of the App Catalog since launch day. And keep in mind that a whole lot of people have purchased Palm Pre phones secondhand, so while there may be a new Palm profile to log a Pandora download, there isn't an additional retail sale or more money in Palm's pocket.

I figure actual sales to Sprint customers minus returns and such still are under a million. They announced when they sold a million Centros in March of last year, just five months after release. The lack of a similar announcement regarding the Pre speaks volumes.
    I don't have Pandora & never downloaded it.
  8. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    FWIW, Ashok Kumar (Gartner's analyst) is a hack.

Move along.
    I never downloaded Pandora....

there is no way to give the percentage of people who downloaded it...any number you give is a guess...
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    iirc, on the public Q3 conference call, the quote was someting like 850k units.. + the time since then... 1mil units (shipped), or close to it, sounds reasonable, or at least close. Plus the ridiculous euro launch which no one seems to have numbers for.
    Q3 total was 823K for *all* Palm devices. Out of that, estimates put the number of Pres at 500-600K tops.
    Pandora has been downloaded 732,750 times, I'd say Mikah is on the right track.

(wonder if this is per palm account or per pre)
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Pandora has been downloaded 732,750 times, I'd say Mikah is on the right track.

(wonder if this is per palm account or per pre)
    But two guys here never downloaded it, so there's no way to tell!

But seriously guys...do the math.

732K downloads + no announcement from Palm of a million sold when they proudly did so for the Centro 18 months ago - the significant, but unknown amount of people who bought a secondhand Pre off Craiglist and Ebay - refurbs, returns and such = Not 1 million Pre phones sold.

When they get there, Palm will be the first to let us know.
    On the bright side, 732,750 * $0.99 = $725,422.50. So, if you can build something as compelling as Pandora and charge a little bit for it, you can do pretty well with these kinds of numbers.

I think that's a pretty tall order (to build something as compelling as Pandora), but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility (as evidenced by the existence of Pandora).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer