Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    This is my first post, as I haven't really needed to ask any questions beyond what's already here (and super helpful!). I couldn't find an answer to this issue.

    Some background first: I bought a pre on launch day, and absolutely loved it up until a few days ago when the power button stopped working. Sprint was kind enough to give me a new phone because of the issue. I was slightly annoyed because I had to reinstall preware and all the apps and patches I was previously using.

    Unfortunately, the new phone they gave me has a problem with the mic, so when I make calls people can barely hear me or not at all. Long story short is that Sprint is going to replace it.

    The Sprint store I went to had to order another one in for me, and I'll be getting it Monday. My question is thus:

    Is there a way to backup all the preware-installed content on my phone so I don't have to go back and do it all again?

    TIA guys (and gals)!
  2. #2  
    Sorry m8 but the answer is no. The only data backed up is any contacts that you have synced using Palm Profile, Gmail..... The only apps that are saved and reinstall are the ones that are installed through the official Palm Appp Catalog.

    Patches Themes and such have to be reinstalled.
  3. #3  
    I wonder if it's possible to at least get a list from Preware of all the patches that are installed. This would suffice me.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.

    The list is a good idea though.

    Thus far I have installed most everything using the preware app; is it possible to use the webos quick installer and do it all at once?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to at least get a list from Preware of all the patches that are installed. This would suffice me.
    Just open Preware ->Installed Packages -> Patches.
  6. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to at least get a list from Preware of all the patches that are installed. This would suffice me.
    You can go to Preware > Installed packages, take screen shots, and copy the screen shots folder to your desk/laptop. This will make it easier to reinstall your HB apps and patches.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    You can go to Preware > Installed packages, take screen shots, and copy the screen shots folder to your desk/laptop. This will make it easier to reinstall your HB apps and patches.
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one to have to resort to that style of "backup".

    But seriously, Jason -- do you think you would be able to come up with a solution that would write the package files out to a directory that does not get clobbered by the update so that we could easily just pull them back in (if they still apply after the update)? Doesn't see like such a strange or difficult request (said the guy who wouldn't have to implement it )
  8. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    . . . . so that we could easily just pull them back in (if they still apply after the update)? Doesn't see like such a strange or difficult request (said the guy who wouldn't have to implement it )
    I'm not sure that would save any effort. Even if we could run a program that cut and pasted all of our patches to a safe directory, we would have to manually edit the directory to identify the patches that had been cleared for the new OS and reinstall them. And testing/reconfiguation of the patches is not necessarily immediate -- even with the release of 1.3.1 to a select number of developers. There are patches that still don't work with 1.2.1.
  9. rub2008's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #9  
    how nice would it be if the same WebOS Quick Install program made a backup of the programs in your pre. Since it can read, delete and install new ones, there has to be a way for it to catalog your apps and with the user's approval sync it back the next time. That being said also would apply for themes, and patches applied.

    By the way this might be part of another post but does anyone know if the webos quick install removes all the patches before we upgrade to 1.3.1 or do we have to remove them manually????
  10. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rub2008 View Post
    By the way this might be part of another post but does anyone know if the webos quick install removes all the patches before we upgrade to 1.3.1 or do we have to remove them manually????
    Are you asking if WebOS Repair Utility will remove all patches (and themes)? Yes, it will, so long as you choose compatibility override in the options menu. You can use QI, but that would be the "manual" approach.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    You can go to Preware > Installed packages, take screen shots, and copy the screen shots folder to your desk/laptop. This will make it easier to reinstall your HB apps and patches.
    It would almost just be easier to write them down. Oh well.
  12. #12  
    Hello,
    I don't know if this is the right place for my comments but I will begin here...

    I have 2 PRE's to manage in my household. It would be nice if Preware saved my list of patches in a file so that I could connect via usb and copy the maintained list. Then I can go to the other PRE, copy the file over and reboot and run Preware so that it could read the list, and add them to the other PRE.

    We are ready to get 2 more PRE here at the house. I hate to think that I have to manually add 100+ items to each Pre after the PRE's been wiped for the next WEBOS update...

    Thanks!
  13. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    It would almost just be easier to write them down. Oh well.
    Not when you've got more than 4 dozen. A couple of screen shots have saved me lots of time.
  14. cas_esq's Avatar
    Posts
    618 Posts
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarustx View Post
    Hello,
    I don't know if this is the right place for my comments but I will begin here...
    You should post your suggestion in the http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...0-preware.html thread. It's worth a shot.
  15. #15  
    "Persistent Configurations" is on the roadmap for Preware, but one of the key developer is currently busy on the wIRC app.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. rub2008's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarustx View Post
    Hello,
    I don't know if this is the right place for my comments but I will begin here...

    I have 2 PRE's to manage in my household. It would be nice if Preware saved my list of patches in a file so that I could connect via usb and copy the maintained list. Then I can go to the other PRE, copy the file over and reboot and run Preware so that it could read the list, and add them to the other PRE.

    We are ready to get 2 more PRE here at the house. I hate to think that I have to manually add 100+ items to each Pre after the PRE's been wiped for the next WEBOS update...

    Thanks!
    that's kinda what I mean... does anyone know if when updating to the new OS 1.3.1 if we have to remove each patch manually before we apply the patch or is there a way for PREWARE or WebOS Quick Install 2.82 to remove it automatically? I guess this would go with the list and possibble backup utility from webos quick install.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by rub2008 View Post
    that's kinda what I mean... does anyone know if when updating to the new OS 1.3.1 if we have to remove each patch manually before we apply the patch or is there a way for PREWARE or WebOS Quick Install 2.82 to remove it automatically? I guess this would go with the list and possibble backup utility from webos quick install.
    Use the Emergency Patch Recovery tool in Preware to remove all your patches before accepting an OTA webOS update.

    -- Rod
  18. rub2008's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Use the Emergency Patch Recovery tool in Preware to remove all your patches before accepting an OTA webOS update.

    -- Rod
    Thank you!!!! I didn't know that existed. Now I'm not that worried about the new upgrade and having to remove ALL my patches. this is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. #19  
    You can also use WOSQI to run "Emergency Parch Removal." But I have Preware so I run it from there.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    You can also use WOSQI to run "Emergency Parch Removal." But I have Preware so I run it from there.
    Yeah, it's the same webos-internals package that is run from either.

    The chances of you having your Pre connected by USB to a computer when you get the OTA webOS update notification from Palm probably determine which you're likely to use.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions