Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am very torn on this. I love the form factor of the Pixi but the one thing that is holding me back is the "performance". I've read the reviews and multiple articles state that the Pixi is not as strong as the Pre but I believe these reviews are slanted as the reviewers tend to be extreme power users.

I use homebrews and tweaks but I am a very "typical" smartphone user. I text, email, etc. I rarely do the whole youtube thing or anything "heavy". With that said, I think I would be okay with Pixi but I am hesitant to jump ship yet. If anyone gets a Pixi this weekend after using a Pre, can you please post a review relating to the transition? I am very interested in the speed or "flow" of the Pixi over Pre. Oh yea...the one thing I am very curious about is the internal memory. There's been complaints that the Pixi goes to "close cards" too quickly. I usually don't have more than 3 open and even then, that's rare for me.

And for the love of Jebus, please do not flame this post.

P.S. - Oh yea...did anyone else think of Blackberry when they realized that Pixi was coming? There's been rumors that Blackberry has been working on a phone that has an exposed keyboard with a touchscreen. This is supposed to be another iteration of the Bold. With that said, "Hey Blackberry - Jealous much?" ;-P
    Personally if you purchased the Pre I don't see how the Pixi will work for you. Pre has faster possessor (by a significant amount), more RAM, larger screen and Wi-Fi. Clearly these things were important to you or you would have bought something else.

To me the Pixi is the perfect phone for someone who has a Katana or MotoRazr (Pixi is the same size) and is looking to jump into the smartphone world for low cost. Pixi would be a huge upgrade for these people and webOS is extremely easy to use.

I would suggest that you head to the Sprint store on Sunday and check it out.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 11/13/2009 at 09:19 AM.
    I'll simply say to the OP that he should really check the video portions of Engadget's review of the Pixi. They were able to reproduce some pretty embarrassing lag and non-responsiveness from the Pixi touchscreen.

You may wanna wait before downgrading.
    Besides "form factor" what is the reason why you are considering the Pixi. You haven't made your argument clear.

Personally the Pre's build quality is horrible. <--- My reason.
    Yeah that Engadget review really drove that point home. Seems like whenever the Pixi is loading a fair amount of data (a website) the screen becomes totally unresponsive for random amounts of time. And even after the page was loaded, the scrolling was nowhere near as smooth as the Pre.

I don't know about anyone else, but I couldn't deal with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post

To me the Pixi is the perfect phone for someone who has a Katana or MotoRazr (Pixi is the same size) and is looking to jump into the smartphone world for low cost. Pixi would be a huge upgrade for these people and webOS is extremely easy to use.
    Low cost? It's 99.00 as compared to an iphone 3G or Eris. The Pre is around the same amount.

The Pixi requires a data plan. Those other dumbphones (you listed) don't.

The only reason to buy a Pixi is for the form factor. That's it.

No wifi, really bad camera, dim low res smaller screen, slow processor.
    Ya, I'm saying it would make a great upgrade for someone who is now using a Katana or MotoRazr or something similar and wants to get their feet wet in the smartphone waters.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    You are about to make a mistake.

Dog-about-to-bite-his-own-balls/img
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Ya, I'm saying it would make a great upgrade for someone who is now using a Katana or MotoRazr or something similar and wants to get their feet wet in the smartphone waters.
    I think it'd lead those kind of users to be frustrated with their first smartphone experience and not a great upgrade, but JMO.

The Pre isn't more complex. It's webOS with more appropriate hardware to run it and make it enjoyable enough. It cost about the same with the same required plan. It's what i would recommend to those users.
    yeah. i love the Pixi form factor also, but am not downgrading. I hopin for a Pixi "Pro." A phone with the Pre processor (or better) and the Pixi form factor (or sexier).
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    not even thinking about pixi. first, the name. next, its smaller, slower, less ram, no wifi. the only thing i'd like is the upgraded keyboard. otherwise waiting for pre 2
    can't see why anyone would down grade from the PRE.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  13. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    It all depends on how you use your phone. If WiFi isn't important to you and you don't mind browsing webpages on a smaller screen and dig the form factor of the Pixi, you'll probably be happier with the device performance issues and all.

FWIW, in my experience the performance issues are by no means a show stopper.
    Honestly the Pixi is a piece of **** and as others have said, the ONLY reason to get it is if you absolutely MUST have that form factor.

With the negligible price difference between it and the Pre, I'm afraid to say the Pixi's market is going to be pathetically small.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    tell us all about 1.3.1. i wonder how long pixi will have it before pre. or will it end up like the treo series where a device gets orphaned?
  16.    #16  
    Yea...my concern is the lack of speed compared to the Pre. I am not kidding when I say this but I use my Pre a lot. I accumulate 10K texts a month and the slider drives me insane. I am also a heavy emailer. Actually, I love the keyboard so much that I've seen myself emailing friends 5 or 6 paragraphs at a time - something i can't say I've done with an iPhone, Android of Blackberry (I've had all of them).

I guess I would have to wait for "Pre 2". HOpefully that 2nd will NOT be a slider or I will have to move along and potentially back to Blackberry again.
    I wouldn't call the price difference negligible when Walmart's selling it for 30 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    I wouldn't call the price difference negligible when Walmart's selling it for 30 bucks.
    But they're also selling the Pre for $80, so the price difference is the same. ($50)
    i do not order phones online so the letstalk/walmart $30 thing wont benefit me. ive had a pre and now have a sidekick 09 (DONT ASK lol) but i have a pixi reserved for sunday. if i dont like it ill exchange it right on the spot if i have to. to release a phone that has a noticeably smaller screen, terrible camera, slower processor, & no wifi but improve the keyboard was sooooo wrong on palms part im thinking. to save $50 is NOTHING really and the pre has so many benefits over the pixi.

but the hardware issues may be enough to send some people the pixi's way instead of the pre's...
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    They're trying to duplicate the same success as the centro. Introduce a lower end intro phone to webOS. Might work actually, it's like marketing a Scion for the younger generation hoping they grow up to like a Toyota.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast