1.    #1  
    This is my first big post here, as I just got my new Palm Pre. I wanted to post my experiences of these first two days. Please let me first tell you some things about where I am coming from.
    I am a Microsoft Exchange Consultant, specializing in Exchange Server. I have been doing that for the last 15 years...My first PDA was an iPaq which I really loved..I went through the whole Pocket PC generation until the iPhone came out. I immediately bought it and at first I loved everything about it. It was really great...but at some point the things the iPhone doesn't offer made me go back to Windows Mobile! I really needed multitasking and a better calendar program...plus the freedom to customize the device as I pleased.

The Palm Pre was always interesting for me and when it came out here in Germany, I was at first sceptical about it but at the end I decided to buy it. Here are my first impressions with the Palm Pre:

WebOS
    The WebOS is really great. It supports multitasking, it is fast (with the exception of the Music app), it brings many innovations (card view, synergy) and it is really ahead of the iPhone OS. What it still needs is to become older! It needs more APIs for the developers in order to get the most out of it. It needs optimization so that the device's ressources will be used more efficiently. It needs more features!
    I believe that the Web OS has really big potential and it can become the best mobile OS.

Things I like about the Pre/Web OS:
    • Web OS multitasking implementation
    • Synergy works great for me. A great idea!
    • Multiple Exchange Accounts!!!
    • The Palm Pre is really a powerfull communications device. It is a cloud device built for the future
    • Notifications system works really great
    • Having a keyboard is better than having a virtual one, even if it is not as big as it should be
    • Speed. I don't know why many people are complaining. I find the Palm Pre very speedy. Only the Music App is slow.
    • The camera isn't bad. It also has flash
    • Over the air updates! Really cool!
    • Internet Browser works very well
    • YouTube app works well
    • Google Maps is what I expected it to be
    • Universal Search is great!

Things I don't like about the Pre/Web OS:
    • Battery life needs to get improved asap. I am using the device today since 8am and it is now 13:23. The device has 40% battery left!!! I use two Exchange Accounts set for push email and everything else is on. GPS, WiFi is on. Bluetooth is turned off....The Palm Pre gives me 12-14 hours of battery life. I have ordered a second battery and that should solve most issues, but still Palm should work on the battery life.
    • Exchage Sync should work better. I had issues synchronizing the Calendar of one of my accounts. I had to export my calendar, delete it and then reimport it to get sync to work properly on the Palm Pre...It shouldn't be like that...The Palm Pre should also support categories in Exchange...
    • I wish I had the ability to tell the Palm Pre that I want to have an Exchange account only for mail but not for contacts or/and calendar...
    • Music App is pretty much weak: Syncing with Windows Media Player doesn't sync Playlists!!! The playlists just doesn't appear on the device...
    • The whole Media syncing experience should be better out of the box. iTunes Sync doesn't cut it for me...Palm should provide its own utility that syncs with the most popular media players...
    • Podcast support is not good. Yes, you can download and watch/listen podcasts, but there is no Podcasts Menu in the music app...There should be a separate application for it...At the moment I have to know the name of the podcast in order to find it in the music or video app
    • Firmware version. There should be a feature and version parity with the US version of Palm Pre...
    • Default calendar and contact apps need more features: Filtering, categories, links
    • The internet browser should allow folder favorites..I should also be able to sync my favorites with my desktop or cloud (Google, Xmarks)
    • Ability to search my Emails isn't there.

Overall I love my Palm Pre and I am happy I bought it. I just hope that Palm will do sth about its weaknesses soon...This platform has a lot of potential and I wouldn't like it to see it going away.
    Last edited by petvas; 11/13/2009 at 06:42 AM.
    Have a 2 day old Gsm Pre too ands I concur but my battery life is much worse than your with 15%/hr drain with push Gmail, wifi on.
    The big let down for me is the inability to play compressed wav for voicemail attachments. Hope this is rectified
    But apart from that there seems to be a patch for many of the shortcomings.
    Three cheers for webosinternals team and all those in precentral who have made this a wonderful device to use.
  3.    #3  
    I also forgot to add that despite the hardware keyboard being an advantage, it should also be a bit bigger!
  4.    #4  
    Another thing that I forgot is the low capacity of the Palm Pre. 16 or 32GB would be much better...Palm should just add a miniSD card slot.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    turn off gps unless you are actively using it. its a huge battery waste
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    If you turn it off, will you be prompted to turn it on when you launch a location-aware app? Something like Google Maps or Where or something... I'll turn it off in a heartbeat if I know that it's super easy to turn it back on...
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    When the Pre first came out in June, GPS was widely reported to be a battery hog. So I, dutifully, turned it off. But then when Battery Monitor hit homebrew, I started testing. And I've found that the GPS is not something to worry about. My battery life with GPS on and off is roughly the same.

The reason appears to be that the GPS isn't actually being used most of the time. It only gets used when there's software that's actually querying it. The rest of the time it sits idle, even though the setting in "Location Services" has it on.

But YMMV so I recommend testing it to see if your usage patterns would result in different GPS usage than mine.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Speaking about unrealized potential...check around the articles and forum for discussions on OpenGL, WebGL, and the as yet unused GPU. WebOS has a just to becoming much speedier AND conserve battery power at the same time!
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Advice to OP regarding podcasts: Dr. Podder in Homebrew.
    Advice to OP regarding music player: Music (Remix) in Homebrew.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    If you turn it off, will you be prompted to turn it on when you launch a location-aware app? Something like Google Maps or Where or something... I'll turn it off in a heartbeat if I know that it's super easy to turn it back on...
    you will have to turn it on to get a precise location, otherwise your location will be reported at the location of the tower you are on. its good enough for most purposes. i installed the gps icon patch so its really easy to turn on the rare times i need it.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    When the Pre first came out in June, GPS was widely reported to be a battery hog. So I, dutifully, turned it off. But then when Battery Monitor hit homebrew, I started testing. And I've found that the GPS is not something to worry about. My battery life with GPS on and off is roughly the same.

The reason appears to be that the GPS isn't actually being used most of the time. It only gets used when there's software that's actually querying it. The rest of the time it sits idle, even though the setting in "Location Services" has it on.

But YMMV so I recommend testing it to see if your usage patterns would result in different GPS usage than mine.
    i'll have to test it myself. it may depend on location. at work i'm in a high rise and gps just seems to search and search when there is no hope of getting a signal till i go to lunch or leave for the day. my battery seems to drain faster and the pre feels warmer but that could be the placebo effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Yes, it will prompt you to do so.

I have my GPS turned off. Every time I use a location-aware program like Google Maps or Where, it prompts me to use the GPS.
  13.    #13  
    Well on my Palm Pre running 1.1.3 it doesn't prompt.

Can I install preware on my Palm Pre running 1.1.3? On the preware thread it says that 1.2 is needed...
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Nice post. Just one suggestion on battery, there is an 2600mAh battery out there. It does not work with touchstone, because it has its own bulky back. But I can see it as something very useful for people just cannot plug in their phone.

Personally, I love Touchstone and got a three USB mini to micro adapters, so I end up with many chargers and USB cable at different places. I am not constantly on the move, so I can keep my Pre charged all the time.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  15.    #15  
    I have tried sth that also worked very well on my iPhone 3G. I turned off 3G and it seems that the Palm Pre lasts muc longer now. I can always turn 3G on when I want it..Most of the times I have WiFi and when I am on the road I just need internet to get my emails...2G is good enough for checking emails...
    I don't want to get such a big battery. It would make the device bulky and I dont want it. I have an extra standard battery and that would suffice for the moment