Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    On my third palm pre, first two were defective... but this time, my palm profile didn't download my contacts. Sprint rep told me to wait 24 hours and theyd gradually be downloaded.

So the next day I called palm and the tech there said try jogging it by downloading an app and adding a contact. Did that, still no downloaded contacts..

As you already probably guessed, my pre backed itself up, and now has a grand total of.. 1 contact. cool.

My question is, I've attached to the computer multiple times, used webos quick install, and the repair utility quite a few times, do any of these things create backups anywhere on my pc for me to reconcile my data?
    Nope. Sorry. It is wise to backup your contacts in other places like Outlook or even in Google mail. The more copies the less this happens. Very sorry to hear this though. Re-entering bites.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Nope. I would recommend getting a Google account and syncing things to that. Seems like Palm is having some issues with the reliability of it's backup based on a number of other threads like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by xplozian View Post
    My question is, I've attached to the computer multiple times, used webos quick install, and the repair utility quite a few times, do any of these things create backups anywhere on my pc for me to reconcile my data?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    This may be a stupid question, so I apologize in advance, but could you have had another way to store your contacts on the phone? Like LinkedIn, Exchange, or Gmail? Maybe you have an email address for a site that uses Google Apps?

The Palm reps can look back and see what (if any) info you used to have in your Profile. They may not be able to look inside the profile and see your contacts, but they can see what day changes were made, and the size of the profile, etc. I'm guessing that if you talk to the right people (and your data wasn't in one of the aforementioned places), you can at the very least get them to claim responsibility for it. 1st step in getting it back, I would think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Nope. I would recommend getting a Google account and syncing things to that. Seems like Palm is having some issues with the reliability of it's backup based on a number of other threads like this one.
    +1 on this. I've written this at least a dozen times in other threads ...

If you care about your contacts, don't trust them to a Palm Profile account. Get a Google account and use it as your default. If you really care, then export a CSV copy of the Google account to your PC occasionally.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Just made a google account to prevent future loss.. downloaded facebook contacts back into my phone, and entered some by hand from friends, but cant sync them with google, lame. Starting to get frustrated with palm
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Just made a google account to prevent future loss.. downloaded facebook contacts back into my phone, and entered some by hand from friends, but cant sync them with google, lame. Starting to get frustrated with palm
    Had you added them to Google first then you could sync both ways. Just creating the Google account won't sync your contacts. You need to make it primary AND set up before any contacts make it to your phone. If the contacts are on your phone first then you can't sync them to Google. Lame? yes! Drove me nuts. Right now there are no easy alternatives.
    Any Contacts entered in your phone go into your "Default Account". If you want them to sync to Google, you have to make Google your "Default Account" before you enter them.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    This might be the wrong place to post this, but here goes:

My phone won't backup automatically anymore! Help!

Also, if I make my Google account the default, will my Pre update the contacts in Google?

Thanks!