1.    #1  
    Dropped my phone, and I have an annoying scratch on the screen. If I take my phone to my local Sprint store (which does repairs), can they fix this somehow? Are they able to take the front of the Pre off and put a new one on?

OR, because I have the $7/month insurance, do you think they'd let me replace it? Because the actual functionality of my phone is not inhibited; it's just very displeasing to feel and look at.

Thanks.
    Last I heard, they weren't allowed to do repairs on the Pre, and there's a deductible on the insurance which is upwards of $100.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: State Farm personal articles policy is better than the Sprint $7/month insurance. Mainly because there's no deductible. Secondly, because they don't care what happened to it- they'll replace/fix it. But to answer the original question, currently there is no way to replace the screen that I know of.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I polished most of mine out by gently rubbing them with a TINY amount of 3M plastic polish. Did I mention GENTLY and TINY amounts. You can only see them when the screen is off now.

Legal note. Author is not responsible if you make your screen worse by not being gentle and using too much polish.
  5.    #5  
    Will that method work for deep scratches? The one I have is deep enough that my thumb feels it when I slide it across the screen to scroll through stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobib View Post
    Will that method work for deep scratches? The one I have is deep enough that my thumb feels it when I slide it across the screen to scroll through stuff.
    It can't hurt to try (as long as you're carefull)

Even if it doesn't get rid of the scratch, it may smooth it out a little.

Regular old toothpaste is also a very good (and very mild) polishing compound for plastics.

Once again, don't blame me if you mess up your Pre.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobib View Post
    Can you see the scratch on the screen when it is back lite? The 3M polish seems to optically fill in the scratches with an oil (polymer?) and I can only see mine now when the screen is off.
    Bump. Any availability of replacement faceplates?
    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard01 View Post
    Bump. Any availability of replacement faceplates?
    Here but im not sure if the orriginal screen is glued onto the faceplate. I'm considering still to buy or not.Maybe by taking it off screen can be damaged
    easy.Never tried so if anyone did please give an insight.
    www,globaldirectparts,com/Palm-Pre-Replacement-Repair-Parts-s/5419,htm
    Don't by that! The digitalizer and the screen are glued together. You can't get the digitalizer off the old screen without breaking it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Yes, you can change the faceplate of the Palm Pre. In the same instance you would make a Pre Plus from the Pre, you can do the same. Make sure you back up all information on the hard drive portion of the phone and perform any backup of any patches. Disassemble the Pre and put the new face on, and you will have to log into your Profile, wait for all the contacts, emails and accounts to sync, and then you will have to place all the hard drive information back in your phone. *this assumes the replacement face is in tact...earpiece, microphone, charging port, and gesture area all works properly* If not, it can get ugly with replacing parts in the faceplate due to the fragile nature of the parts. BTW it's easier than it sounds...Ive done it more times than the average user has taken their battery out! LOL
    Well, at this point I'm so close to an upgrade that I probably won't bother now. Appreciate the info though!
    There are plenty of face plates available on ebay. Just search "palm pre digitizer".

But if you have insurance, try that first. I have never been charged a deductible. They just order up a new phone. The last time it was literally available the next day. Save that upgrade and get a new Pre in the meantime.

So ask your Factory Sprint Store (not a reseller - they don't give a $*!# about replacing your phone and probably won't) if you would have to pay a deductible. I haven't had to.

And about my deductible, am I just grandfathered in to an older insurance plan? Do all new plans have a deductible? Why is there a difference?
    Palm IIIx > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I have replaced "faceplates" on 2 separate "original" Pre's, three different times, for three different reasons. These have been my experiences.
    1st replacement was on a donated Pre that was dropped and had a badly cracked screen. No TEP available on this device. A local/reputable cell phone repair shop did the repair for me for about $150. The plastic screen and digitizer are glued together, thus the cost. Timeframe was October 2010
    2nd replacement was due to a cracked screen that started at the USB, TEP was invoked as a warranty issue, since it impaired the digitizer function. Sprint replaced the digitizer/screen for free. Timeframe was February 2011.
    3rd replacement was due to the screen coating separating from the plastic. Cosmetic damage only since the digitizer still worked. TEP was invoked as an insurance claim, since the device received external damage. Assurion replaced the device twice (first one had an oreo effect, so I sent it back) for the $100 deductible.
    Hope this information is of use.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Sprint repair center will do ANY repair on a Pre for $35 flat fee. I just got a Pre replaced with no insurance for $35 due to the "phantom screen touches" problem.

They do not care how it happened just that it is broken and needs fixing. I would call first to see if a replacement is in stock if the repair center is far away. Mine is 20 minutes and they had one that I asked them to hold while I ran over so there wasn't a wasted trip.

Hope that helps,
    -- Kevin