Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm already out of app space and can't download any more.

I thought it was rumored that this latest update would increase or eliminate that app limit. But I didn't see anything about it on the front page. Does that mean this update won't include that MUCH NEEDED improvement?
    If I am reading correct information, it looks like 1.3.1 won't fix too much of anything.
    nope looks like another dud :-(
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    we won't know until someone gets it installed. too bad palm didn't listen to this board in the first place about the lack of storage area.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    and the video cam......at least we have hope of flash...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have been a Treo user (10+ years) and Pre since July. This new Pre crew is much different than the Treo guys. No transparency, no communication, no care(?). Wouldn't it be nice if they just gave us a roadmap of where they are going, what they are going to change, what they are not. I don't even want a reason. You would think that they are reading these sites, but maybe they have some kinda filter. Arrghhhhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdgramps View Post
    I have been a Treo user (10+ years) and Pre since July. This new Pre crew is much different than the Treo guys. No transparency, no communication, no care(?). Wouldn't it be nice if they just gave us a roadmap of where they are going, what they are going to change, what they are not. I don't even want a reason. You would think that they are reading these sites, but maybe they have some kinda filter. Arrghhhhh!!!
    The WebOS crew is pretty different than the Treo guys. With a Treo, you received 1 update in the life of the phone. 2 if you were REALLY lucky.

We have had 4 or 5? I've lost count. We'll probably get another just after the first of the year.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The WebOS crew is pretty different than the Treo guys. With a Treo, you received 1 update in the life of the phone. 2 if you were REALLY lucky.

We have had 4 or 5? I've lost count. We'll probably get another just after the first of the year.
    Agreed. I think I saw two updates to my 755p in the two years I had it. I'll take frequent updates over transparency any day, but I don't remember knowing much about what was coming in PalmOS updates either.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9.    #9  
    the bottom line here is that Palm is losing money over this because I want to download a few more apps but can't.

You'd think this would be a priority for them.
    I sure hope that the slight delay between the Pixi release and the Pre getting an update has to do with simple things that need to be implemented, like the notification light, so we don't have to patch it anymore.

Honestly, I just don't get it, why is it remarked out?

And yeah, they really need to get rid of the space issue with the App Catalog. All the Devs should be screaming as loud as we are, after all, if there is space for us to put their apps on, they will sell less!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty3054 View Post
    I'm already out of app space and can't download any more.

I thought it was rumored that this latest update would increase or eliminate that app limit. But I didn't see anything about it on the front page. Does that mean this update won't include that MUCH NEEDED improvement?
    I haven't seen anything that says one way or the other. It's not something that you could tell by just playing with the Pixi ... you 'd have to load a bunch of apps (and you couldn't tell for sure then) or poke around in root access to see what happens.

I'm still hoping there's some improvement in 1.3.1, even if it's not access to the whole 6gb media partition. There should be something in the official changes list (nothing published yet) if they've made an improvement at all.
    Huh???? Not that I disagree about the current level of transparency, but I do about the previous. What in the world are you talking about. I don't recall much "transparency", "communication", or "caring" from the old Palm crew. Apps broke on new versions. Live with it. "Standard" apps went away with a new version, live with that too. As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever reading much about updates before they arrived, and almost no details about them when they did.
    How come the pre community can make great patches that add so many options to the Pre, but palm manages to only include 5 new "options" in each update. Still love the phone (the patches are keeping me on board), but the bland updates are starting to get old.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    well, to be fair, the patch community doesn't know what future coding for webOS will bring, so they don't have to "future-proof" their patches. they also don't have the level of QA testing (i assume) that palm has, nor do they have to submit to "approval" from the carrier prior to release. they can just release a patch that works right now.

not that this is a bad thing, AT ALL, or an excuse for palm's turtle-esque pace on larger issues. just pointing it out.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I stand corrected if your experiences are the true nature of things.

All I know is that I got what a needed and got responses when I asked for them. I never said the "old" Palm was better or were perfect. But I found them to be very responsive. I am sorry that you did not have that experience.

The difference quotient, is probably why I am not enjoying this experience. With all of the Palm device that I had, going back to Palm III, they worked better than I expected them to and more reliably. Some of the things that I wanted in the product, were either not economically or nor technically feasible. But it didn't seem long until Palm did move in those directions and incorporated new technologies in their products.

When the Pre came out I found that I had become a Palm sycophant, I even took on a WSJ writer who said what I thought were some not so complementary things about the Pre. He had said some things that I just couldn't believe that Palm would do. Had to send him an apology. By the way, it wasn't that they were not technically feasible, they just didn't do them. I have no idea why not, they just didn't. Looking at this board, their many others that have said similar things for the last several months, I am not alone. There are many frustrated users and ex-users.

Palm developed a level of anticipation with their Pre marketing campaign and their previous products and fallen flat on their faces IMO. The market will bear this out.

Based on my previous statements, that my personal experience has proven true. The complaints I've seen on this sight and others. I am going to say something that I never would have dreamed of saying 5 months ago. I am sorry that I ever bought a Pre. I should have followed my sons lead and gone elsewhere. (Maybe I can unload it on my wife, but I doubt it, she's too smart).
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstven View Post
    How come the pre community can make great patches that add so many options to the Pre, but palm manages to only include 5 new "options" in each update. Still love the phone (the patches are keeping me on board), but the bland updates are starting to get old.
    Because the amount of people in the pre community is probably about quadruple the amount of people assigned to work on the Pre from Palm? Just think how quickly the Pre would be up to speed if every free lance developer was being paid by palm to fix issues with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Here is an interim solution...
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...nk-method.html

It will likely take a significant architectural change to address the issue. I wouldn't expect such a significant change until webOS 2.0.

If the case, I may promote to the PreWare guys and homebrew dev community to implement symbolic linking (mvapp functions) as a native part of homebrew installers, so that apps will automatically be placed on the media drive as they are installed.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    If you install mvapp and terminal there is no limit on number of installations. The program will automatically move your apps to the other partition
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^Well not truly automatically. You still have to move apps manually using mvapp every time you install a new app. It does move/link email as well though, which only needs to be setup once.

If mvapp functions were a part of PreWare and other homebrew installers, it could be setup to auto move/link to media drive for each app as they are installed.
    I stand corrected if your experiences are the true nature of things.

All I know is that I got what a needed and got responses when I asked for them. I never said the "old" Palm was better or were perfect. But I found them to be very responsive. I am sorry that you did not have that experience.

The difference quotient, is probably why I am not enjoying this experience. With all of the Palm device that I had, going back to Palm III, they worked better than I expected them to and more reliably. Some of the things that I wanted in the product, were either not economically or nor technically feasible. But it didn't seem long until Palm did move in those directions and incorporated new technologies in their products.

When the Pre came out I found that I had become a Palm sycophant, I even took on a WSJ writer who said what I thought were some not so complementary things about the Pre. He had said some things that I just couldn't believe that Palm would do. Had to send him an apology. By the way, it wasn't that they were not technically feasible, they just didn't do them. I have no idea why not, they just didn't. Looking at this board, their many others that have said similar things for the last several months, I am not alone. There are many frustrated users and ex-users.

Palm developed a level of anticipation with their Pre marketing campaign and their previous products and fallen flat on their faces IMO. The market will bear this out.

Based on my previous statements, that my personal experience has proven true. The complaints I've seen on this sight and others. I am going to say something that I never would have dreamed of saying 5 months ago. I am sorry that I ever bought a Pre. I should have followed my sons lead and gone elsewhere. (Maybe I can unload it on my wife, but I doubt it, she's too smart).
    Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from your opinion, but if you (or anyone) now find that you are sorry you bought the Pre, then I can think of only three possible reasons:
    1. You bought it on a whim without spending a bunch of time to learn what features would be on it and what wouldn't.
    2. You bought it knowing full well that it didn't have the features you wanted, but somehow believed that Palm would fix all of that in 5 months.
    3. You bought it knowing full well that it didn't have some features, but your needs have changed.

I'm thinking a lot of people are in the second category. I know a lot of people said that Palm would be able to fix it all very quickly. Certainly it doesn't take much time to actually code fixes for some of the things people complain about not getting frequently. Some of the things people want are not coming because there has been an underlying philosophy shift. Some of the things people want are coming, but are just taking longer than you expected (flash, GPU usage, native Linux code).

It's the philosophy shift that is really hurting the legacy users. I feel sorry for people who can't make the shift. You just can't expect the Pre to do the very same things your previous device did in the very same way. Some things it doesn't do, some things it does differently. It also does a lot more. Many of the legacy users can't see the value of the new things the Pre does. I wish I could help, but people don't really like to change, especially when they have an efficient way of doing things. I'm sorry Palm is leaving you behind, but you folks are a dying breed, and there aren't enough of you to sustain the legacy.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast