Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I went to sprint last night to complain (again) about a problem with my Pre. Long and short: Pre #5 is on the way.

    During the discussion with the rep, he said something that I've never heard before from anyone. He said that sprint not only doesn't support screen protectors, they recommend against them. He mentioned something about heat dissipation.

    I've had a Pre since release day and this is the first I'd heard of this anywhere.

    Have any of you heard that one before? If so, what was he talking about and does it have any validity?
    Twitter: dullgeek
  2. KAM313's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #2  
    my sprint store sell them
  3. #3  
    are you talking about the plastic ones?
  4. #4  
    Sounds like a Sprint rep representing his opinion as Sprint policy. I can find nothing about this on the Sprint web site.

    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I went to sprint last night to complain (again) about a problem with my Pre. Long and short: Pre #5 is on the way.

    During the discussion with the rep, he said something that I've never heard before from anyone. He said that sprint not only doesn't support screen protectors, they recommend against them. He mentioned something about heat dissipation.

    I've had a Pre since release day and this is the first I'd heard of this anywhere.

    Have any of you heard that one before? If so, what was he talking about and does it have any validity?
  5. KAM313's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by robbskittles View Post
    are you talking about the plastic ones?
    it think so....the name iz writeright or sumthan
  6. #6  
    Actually I was told almost the same thing by my Sprint store rep. He said it wasn't needed.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    During the discussion with the rep, he said something that I've never heard before from anyone. He said that sprint not only doesn't support screen protectors, they recommend against them. He mentioned something about heat dissipation.
    Is it possible he was talking the snap-on protective cases and not just the stick-on screen protectors? I've heard a few concerns about those since they cover the entire back of the device, which is where most of the heat comes from. Never heard of (or had any) problems with just a front screen protector like PhantomSkinz or InvisibleShield. In fact, I think those are an absolute necessity for a $500 device.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Is it possible he was talking the snap-on protective cases and not just the stick-on screen protectors?
    Well, I have the smaller Boxwave Crystal on my Pre. It's front only and it doesn't even cover the entire front of the device. Just the screen. He mentioned to me after he saw that I had it on.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  9. #9  
    Heat dissipation... lol. Can you feel your phone heat up on the outside of your phone with a screen protector on? Yes? Then it seems the heat might be dissipating....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  10. #10  
    Wonder what the R value of the screen protector is? Must be amazing.

    If I attach it directly to the panes of glass in my windows, will it save my $100s on my heating bill this winter?

    If it traps heat in that well, I should be able to take baked goods out of the oven with a screen protector in each hand.

    There are so many uses for this new miracle plastic!!!
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  11. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #11  
    As has been pointed out above, most of the heat from the Pre
    is from the back half of the phone, so a screen protector on
    the front half is irrelevant.

    Some have reported problems with the IR sensor (to turn
    the screen off when you put the phone to your head during a call)
    not working properly when it's covered with a protector, but that's an easy
    fix. Just don't cover the space to the right of the earpiece
    above the screen itself.

    ian
  12. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #12  
    I was told, months ago, that unless Palm makes the product, your use could void your warranty. This is (mostly) silly, but (a) if they're looking for an excuse to deny you a repair/replacement, they could use this as a reason and (b) it is actually possible for a screen protector or case to damage the Pre.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sounds like a Sprint rep representing his opinion as Sprint policy. I can find nothing about this on the Sprint web site.
    Facts.
  14. csquare's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #14  
    With an operating temperature from 32 degrees - 113 degrees F, I doubt very seriously the display would generate enough BTU's with a screen protector on to matter. Now rubber sleeves (with insulating properties) that the stores sell and support directly would be acceptable though according to this well informed employee.....
  15. squeff's Avatar
    Posts
    581 Posts
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    #15  
    Regardless, be aware that some have reported that their screen protectors have left a sticky mess when removed. Neither Palm nor Sprint will do a thing about this. A "sticky mess" is not going to be sufficient reason for them to give you a new Pre.

    And don't expect the people that make/sell these protectors to buy you a new Pre is their piece of plastic creates a mess.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Regardless, be aware that some have reported that their screen protectors have left a sticky mess when removed. Neither Palm nor Sprint will do a thing about this. A "sticky mess" is not going to be sufficient reason for them to give you a new Pre.
    Of course. But that is not what rep was trying to point out.

    Re: the screen protector that I've got, I've already removed and replaced it. And after having removed it, there was no "sticky mess", nor for that matter, any kind of mess on the screen at all. So I'm not that worried about it.

    I had a Besk Skins Ever on a previous Pre and it didn't leave a sticky mess either.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Of course. But that is not what rep was trying to point out.

    Re: the screen protector that I've got, I've already removed and replaced it. And after having removed it, there was no "sticky mess", nor for that matter, any kind of mess on the screen at all. So I'm not that worried about it.

    I had a Besk Skins Ever on a previous Pre and it didn't leave a sticky mess either.
    To avoid the sticky mess, please do not put your screen protector on with syrup on your hands.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  18. dabro's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by robbskittles View Post
    are you talking about the plastic ones?
    The leather ones let the heat dissapate pretty well
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    To avoid the sticky mess, please do not put your screen protector on with syrup on your hands.
    LOL! Ya know, I had strong suspicions that would cause a problem. I shoulda gone with my gut.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  20. buyrihn's Avatar
    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    #20  
    That's a little crazy to hear them say that. Without the protector, the phone could get scratched and damaged, which affects you should you ever need to get the phone replaced and/or fixed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions