1.    #1  
    They are ordering me a new phone, that I will get tomorrow. Is there anyway at all..hacked or not to get my text messsages off the phone, I need them for legal reasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    If hacked, you can copy the palmdatabase.db off of the Pre. With SQLITE you can access all of the messages on your computer. Moving them back over to your new device is a bit trickier.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  3.    #3  
    Nice and Thanks, Not worried really about moving them back but wanna make sure I got them with that persons name on them etc. I guess I can Download SQLITE then right...and would getting the palmdatabase.db require rooting?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    either that or screenshots. (Thats what I do )
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    When you here about these stories, why dose it seem like Sprint always has to "order" a replacement? Don't they have replacements in stock?
    honestly theres no need to root the pre to get your messages and contacts. if you get the latest version of quick install theres a section where you can recieve or send files from within the inner workings of the pre allowing you to save all kinds of random stuff. i was able to get all my txts and contacts and call log and easily dump them into the emulator with a few interesting unexpected bonuses.

heres how:
    -plug in the palm pre that should already be in dev mode
    -open WebOS quick install and once connected click "tools-recieve file"
    -tell it to recive file " /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 " (without the quotes) and set the destination folder to wherever you want on your computer. it should say file transferred succesfully or something like that once its done.

to view your messages without using the sql stuff:
    -unplug the pre and start the SDK emulator.
    -on the WebOS Quick Install applet go to "file-option" and set the "Device to Use" field to "emulator"
    -then go to "tools - send file" and browse to the file you saved in the first field and type in " /var/luna/data/dbdata/ " (without the quotes) as the destination folder.

once its finished working you can go to the emulator and see your records
    it actually contains even messages that you cant see anymore on the fone, as well as what looks like the entire call log since day one. I dont even know how to do it the sql way and ive heard its a bad idea to just take the old database and dump it into the new phone due to the structure and support files being unique to the phone causing you to get all kinds of errors down the line.

heres a very informative related thread forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/187145-how-back-up-text-messages-when-exchanging-phones.html hope it helps
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryder212 View Post
    honestly theres no need to root the pre to get your messages and contacts. if you get the latest version of quick install theres a section where you can recieve or send files from within the inner workings of the pre allowing you to save all kinds of random stuff. i was able to get all my txts and contacts and call log and easily dump them into the emulator with a few interesting unexpected bonuses.

heres how:
    -plug in the palm pre that should already be in dev mode
    -open WebOS quick install and once connected click "tools-recieve file"
    -tell it to recive file " /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 " (without the quotes) and set the destination folder to wherever you want on your computer. it should say file transferred succesfully or something like that once its done.

to view your messages without using the sql stuff:
    -unplug the pre and start the SDK emulator.
    -on the WebOS Quick Install applet go to "file-option" and set the "Device to Use" field to "emulator"
    -then go to "tools - send file" and browse to the file you saved in the first field and type in " /var/luna/data/dbdata/ " (without the quotes) as the destination folder.

once its finished working you can go to the emulator and see your records
    it actually contains even messages that you cant see anymore on the fone, as well as what looks like the entire call log since day one. I dont even know how to do it the sql way and ive heard its a bad idea to just take the old database and dump it into the new phone due to the structure and support files being unique to the phone causing you to get all kinds of errors down the line.

heres a very informative related thread forums.precentral .net /palm-pre/187145-how-back-up-text-messages-when-exchanging-phones. html hope it helps

WOW THANKS!! I guess I should start subscribing to this thread when I post. I have been trying for 2 days to get this rooted and SSHed into exhausting lol, now I know I guess tho right