1.    #1  
    Is there a program that has a compass, overlay or some kind of indicator for a program like google maps that will show north. I thought I saw something at one time yet maybe I was just dreaming.

If there is could you assist and post a link?
    thanx
    I've not seen one yet.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I've been wondering this too. In Sprint Navigation, while there is sadly no "north up" map option that I've found, if you're moving fast enough in one direction it will show a little arrow labeled "driving north" (or whatever).

But Sprint Nav breaks my phone lol. So a normal compass program would be nice. I'm sure the Pre doesn't actually have an electronic compass in it so you'd actually have to move a bit before the compass could tell you which way you're going, but it would still be useful.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
    I've been wondering this too. In Sprint Navigation, while there is sadly no "north up" map option that I've found, if you're moving fast enough in one direction it will show a little arrow labeled "driving north" (or whatever).

But Sprint Nav breaks my phone lol. So a normal compass program would be nice. I'm sure the Pre doesn't actually have an electronic compass in it so you'd actually have to move a bit before the compass could tell you which way you're going, but it would still be useful.
    The moving part I would agree on. It is part of a few programs. It would just be nice if you or I, were just standing be able to bring up a program and see maybe a map that just said you are here. This part of the map is north.

I could have used it tonight when at a house and the friend ask me where a good place to install his dish ant. would be. I asked him which way was south since he lives on a winding street. He was lost....ugg.
    I'm guessing no, as it doesn't have the electronic compass and (normal) GPS accuracy is like 10 meter accuracy if I remember correctly, so using GPS and user movement to determine the direction would probably require a lot of movement.. but that's just me speculating.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    I'm guessing no, as it doesn't have the electronic compass and (normal) GPS accuracy is like 10 meter accuracy if I remember correctly, so using GPS and user movement to determine the direction would probably require a lot of movement.. but that's just me speculating.
    So if I tie the Pre to my dogs tail and she runs in a circle around 11 meters wide really really fast, I could get a compass that would be spinning...lol
    I don't know if that much movement would be required. I have an older Garmin hiking gps with no electronic compass. On the compass display, with a good gps fix, the compass will orient within 3-5 steps. The device averages around 15ft reported accuracy. The ##gps# menu in the Pre shows me about the same when I'm not under a roof. So I'd think it would only require a few steps.

Just me speculating too... I really have no idea lol.
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/go-tool

sorry, don't know how to make clickable links...
    no magnetometer
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    no magnetometer
    Yes, the above post is correct... the Pre CANNOT function as a reliable compass on its own, while not moving as it doesnt have the hardware capabilities.

That being said, any device with some sort of multi-location ability to map plots (repeat gps, cell tower coordinates) can give you a basic idea of the direction you are traveling so long as you are moving if provided the application to do so. So far the Pre appears not to have such an application although I cant say I have looked hard nor would I trust it in a life/ death situation.

A little hint... during the day, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Therefore, depending on he time of the day, you can determine where you are headed. During the night, find the north star. If the light pollution from a city is too strong, note that you are in a city... ask for directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryprod View Post
    Yes, the above post is correct... the Pre CANNOT function as a reliable compass on its own, while not moving as it doesnt have the hardware capabilities.

That being said, any device with some sort of multi-location ability to map plots (repeat gps, cell tower coordinates) can give you a basic idea of the direction you are traveling so long as you are moving if provided the application to do so. So far the Pre appears not to have such an application although I cant say I have looked hard nor would I trust it in a life/ death situation.

A little hint... during the day, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. Therefore, depending on he time of the day, you can determine where you are headed. During the night, find the north star. If the light pollution from a city is too strong, note that you are in a city... ask for directions.
    What I've noticed with Sprint Telenav is, it depends on what side of the road you are on, meaning it doesn't work well for walking/riding a bicycle, if you're using the sidewalk on the opposite side of the road, it's constantly telling you to make a U turn. That's how Telenav assumes what direction you're going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I could have used it tonight when at a house and the friend ask me where a good place to install his dish ant. would be. I asked him which way was south since he lives on a winding street. He was lost....ugg.
    GoogleMaps satellite view on your current location, probably could have figured it out from that. (I know, I know, too late now...)
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Hey, thanks for posting this. I've tried it out and it works great! Just like we talked about, it shows a "compass" that responds to movement, and it's pretty good... adjusts within a few steps.

Even better, it lets you create, enter, and navigate to waypoints, just like a 1st gen hiking gps would - in a straight line. Very nice as a backup hiking gps, to mark and find your car at Disney World etc.

There's a pay and free version in the official app catalog. I don't know what the pay version does (looks like it includes some geocaching tools) but the free version does all the basic stuff I want!
    Ohhh... and the lightbulb comes on.

I've been messing with gps in the Pre for a while now, and had some puzzling results - it would occasionally refuse to get a fix, Sprint Nav would seem to break it and it would then refuse to get a new fix in any app until reset, etc... Then I found this thread:

(palm pre forum, thread 188005. I can't make a link work, sorry.)

Now it makes sense... the Pre cannot get a cold gps lock unless it has a network connection (or possibly wifi)!

I live on the Olympic Peninsula in WA. I'm in good coverage at home (thankfully) and in towns, but not always in data coverage while driving or hiking - heck, not even always in phone coverage. And this is when I've been doing my tests regarding gps fix acquisition. I work as a pilot and tried a few times in cruise flight too. It would never work... 'course, there's no Sprint at FL370 lol. I was starting to think something was wrong with my phone, but no, it makes sense now... when I couldn't get a fix, I was most likely out of data coverage, and I'd done a reset since last acquiring a gps fix. I probably could have gotten a warm fix if I hadn't already reboot. (maybe. possibly).

So I partially retract my claim about the Go To Tool Lite app being useful as a backup hiking gps. I mean, it could be, if you're in network coverage... but if you're too far off the beaten path, don't count on it. Not the apps fault, Palm's fault for a flawed implementation of a gps chip that actually HAS standalone potential.

But it's still a really cool app that gives us basic gps functionality that was otherwise missing, whenever the phone can get a fix. So, thanks!
    Last edited by Stearmandriver; 11/12/2009 at 08:57 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryprod View Post

It was night and I am in Rochester NY where it is more often cloudy than not. And being in NY state it seems that no one will talk to anyone anymore since there is a mass movement leaving this state of high taxes
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/go-tool

sorry, don't know how to make clickable links...
    That's the one I remember. I'll give it another run. thanx.