Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    Too little, too late for me.

    Moving to Android as soon as the Milestone (Droid) comes out over here. I wasn't told I'd be buying the Pre with the outdated firmware when I took out the contract, and I think I've been very patient so far, but another 2 weeks and the Milestone (Droid) will be available.

    Plus, these 'tip-offs' often turn out to be complete fabrications.

    And before anyone mentions 'flash to Sprint 1.2' - Farting around with Firmware and voiding warranties to get a phone to do a couple of extra features, which should have worked in the first place is exactly why I switched from Windows Mobile.
    See you then.

    It looks like you jumped on the Pre because it was the latest shiny thing without taking two seconds to do your research on what it could do out of the box, without considering that you are an early adopter of a completely new OS and without understanding that you were entering into a community that embraced homebrew solutions. It also shows that you have little knowledge of the delays that usually occur between different regions receiving firmware updates when it is common place in the industry because each network tests new firmware prior to release. Instead of whining about the Pre you should be looking a little closer to home.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

    It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
  2. #22  
    C'mon Palm. How long does it take to add those umlauts to the OS??
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    (Plus no developers seem to be in any hurry to knock out a decent MSN client, Sat Nav, and it looks like 1.3.1 STILL won't let me record video). It feels like I'm stuck back in 2003.
    Good Luck even with an extra year in development you are jumping onto an extremely buggy OS. Enjoy! I can't believe you can't wait a few weeks, most phones don't even get firmware upgrades let alone updates every few months. I'm in the UK, and more than happy to wait.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by chander View Post
    Hi guys,

    I am from Germany and today went to 02 shop and the guy there had no idea even of an update coming!!
    Chander!
    Call Palm and complain to them. If they do not have a German number I can give you their UK number !!! I did the same....

    Cheers
    Vas
  5. diggedy's Avatar
    Posts
    246 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Call Palm and complain to them. If they do not have a German number I can give you their UK number !!! I did the same....

    Cheers
    Vas
    whats was the outcome of the complaint?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    wow two whole weeks ha ha ha ha . what cant wait that long lol
    2 weeks is 2 weeks....
    Didn't they say the same for 1.2.1?
    2 weeks went and passed...and I had to flash to Spring firmware.

    I am a Pre enthusiast however I am treated as a second class customer.
    Period !!!!

    By the way....I'm not upset with you, but with Palm Europe.

    Vas
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Call Palm and complain to them. If they do not have a German number I can give you their UK number !!! I did the same....

    Cheers
    Vas
    Out of curiousity ,What would be their response? And what did palm tell you wheb you called? Did they say end of the month too?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinL01 View Post
    I can't believe you can't wait a few weeks, most phones don't even get firmware upgrades let alone updates every few months.
    AGREE !!! 2 weeks is a very short time to wait....
    The real question here is WAIT for what? The new firmware doesn't have any of the fixes I am waiting for.

    - Stupid install size limit still exists
    - No bluetooth file transfer
    - No cam recording

    So how many more weeks till those are added? 4? 8? 16? more?
    Any other phone in the market has the last 2 features, and the first one makes the phone really limited. Ok it makes calls, but so does a 1990s brick phone!!!

    I think ppl are frustrated more with the non-existing road-map of Palm releases. They need to make public what is scheduled for the next releases and when to expect them. I do not care if they miss deadlines by 2 weeks. But I want to know if they are planning to add certain functionality and by roughly when.

    Cheers
    Vas
  9. #29  
    From what I've read the 1.2.1 did have bluetooth filetransfer, at least for vcards. Other files I'm not so sure.
    Well just a week left till the new firmware, I'm guessing
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    whats was the outcome of the complaint?
    Palm Europe Ltd.
    59-60 Thames Street.
    Windsor, Berks SL4 1TX, United Kingdom
    +44(0)207 11 22 333 Main Phone

    You can pick different languages for support. You can also raise a ticket at
    http://www.palm.com/uk/en/support

    Then you can have a real time talk with one of the their support guys.

    Their support guy checked my Serial Number first. Then I explained that I felt like a second class customer. Their response was that: "The 1.3.1 update is on the final testing process on GSM networks (USA uses CDMA networks) and should not take much longer to be released."

    I tried to ask for a bit more specific date but I could not get any more information. He said: "I'm sorry but we are not allowed to give a specific time frame in case of any delays, all I can say is that it is on the final testing process, we are behind USA since the pre was released later in Europe and given that the networks are different since one is GSM and the other CDMA. On the positive side, bear in mind that any errors/bugs that appear in the USA are already corrected by the time it is released in Europe."

    I also asked if Palm was planning to release openly a road map for future fixes/new features etc...His response was: "Any public information on update features will be available on the Palm website as well."
    Palm Support : Software update information for Palm Pre Bell p100eww

    However this only shows issues that have been fixed on existing OS versions not and not what they are working on.

    Although I did not get the information I wanted, if more users complain with the same comments, they may get the message...


    Hope this helps
    Vas
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    From what I've read the 1.2.1 did have bluetooth filetransfer, at least for vcards. Other files I'm not so sure.
    Well just a week left till the new firmware, I'm guessing
    vcards would be a very good start....
    However I also send mp3s, photos, documents....

    I am not sure if the BT stack is fully implemented to support all these files. I think Palm should release more information....

    Cheers
    Vas
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    AGREE !!! 2 weeks is a very short time to wait....
    The real question here is WAIT for what? The new firmware doesn't have any of the fixes I am waiting for.

    - Stupid install size limit still exists
    - No bluetooth file transfer
    - No cam recording

    So how many more weeks till those are added? 4? 8? 16? more?
    Any other phone in the market has the last 2 features, and the first one makes the phone really limited. Ok it makes calls, but so does a 1990s brick phone!!!

    I think ppl are frustrated more with the non-existing road-map of Palm releases. They need to make public what is scheduled for the next releases and when to expect them. I do not care if they miss deadlines by 2 weeks. But I want to know if they are planning to add certain functionality and by roughly when.

    Cheers
    Vas
    I thought it would be a good time to point out that the Iphone only needed 3 years to add video, for instance, I think complaining after one month is a bit unfair. And which company that your thinking of gives software update schedules - most of the ones I know including Microsoft or any other phone manufacturer, doesn't. I'm just saying that the standard your demanding is a bit unrealistic and I'm curious to see where you are receiving such outstanding service.

    I mean to say, if things such as a video camera function or full bluetooth file transfer ability were so utterly important to you then perhaps you made an unwise buying decision since you knew it didn't have that ability yet. Think about it, do you really think the palm guys are sitting around on the completed update and saying I think we'll make those europeans suffer because we can or perhaps it's just a matter of limited resources and sometimes things just take time. For all we know, O2 is the one holding everything up or some government agency. I'm sure they will get you the update as soon as possible and if that happens to be in 2 weeks then so be it.

    Or better yet, if you can't stand it then vote with your money and move onto another phone system, it's the best way to show your displeasure at the state of affairs.

    I'm in Asia and we're being totally ignored so at least you got the phone, I have to jump through hoops to get a phone out here. We get no support of any kind.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    Too little, too late for me.

    Moving to Android as soon as the Milestone (Droid) comes out over here. I wasn't told I'd be buying the Pre with the outdated firmware when I took out the contract, and I think I've been very patient so far, but another 2 weeks and the Milestone (Droid) will be available.

    Plus, these 'tip-offs' often turn out to be complete fabrications.

    And before anyone mentions 'flash to Sprint 1.2' - Farting around with Firmware and voiding warranties to get a phone to do a couple of extra features, which should have worked in the first place is exactly why I switched from Windows Mobile.
    You dont void warranty, and you can easily flash back, if you can delete a couple of files on your average desktop computer you can flash your phone.

    It was well known GSM Pre's would ship with 1.1.3, if you didnt bother to do your research, then more fool you.

    I for one will be keeping my Pre and watch it evolve to become an awesome OS (not that it isnt already) compared to a sub-par rough cuts OS which is android, which has onlyjustb reached a milestone, 2.0, WebOS is still v1, you knew this when you purchased your pre.

    Please do research prior to purchasing a phone, thankyou.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    AGREE !!! 2 weeks is a very short time to wait....
    The real question here is WAIT for what? The new firmware doesn't have any of the fixes I am waiting for.

    - Stupid install size limit still exists
    - No bluetooth file transfer
    - No cam recording

    So how many more weeks till those are added? 4? 8? 16? more?
    Any other phone in the market has the last 2 features, and the first one makes the phone really limited. Ok it makes calls, but so does a 1990s brick phone!!!

    I think ppl are frustrated more with the non-existing road-map of Palm releases. They need to make public what is scheduled for the next releases and when to expect them. I do not care if they miss deadlines by 2 weeks. But I want to know if they are planning to add certain functionality and by roughly when.

    Cheers
    Vas
    They are very much working on it, the binaries for video recording have been found in the 1.3.1 update and means palm is very much working on a recorder, also a homebrew patch should be released soon using these capabilities to allow video recording.

    App install limit, whilst i personally havent come across the issue, it is frustating i would imagine, and nonsensical, do hope they fix this once the app catalog comes out of beta in december.

    My biggest gripe has to be BT file transfer, i mean come on! phones i has back in 2003 were able to do this! And no you cant send vCards via Bluetooth as fair as i know.

    Remember palm has around a 1000 employees which is a small fraction compared to giants like Apple & Google, but they are working on it, however, we as consumers can only take so much too and they need to be adressed, and fast.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    I thought it would be a good time to point out that the Iphone only needed 3 years to add video, for instance, I think complaining after one month is a bit unfair. And which company that your thinking of gives software update schedules - most of the ones I know including Microsoft or any other phone manufacturer, doesn't. I'm just saying that the standard your demanding is a bit unrealistic and I'm curious to see where you are receiving such outstanding service.

    I mean to say, if things such as a video camera function or full bluetooth file transfer ability were so utterly important to you then perhaps you made an unwise buying decision since you knew it didn't have that ability yet. Think about it, do you really think the palm guys are sitting around on the completed update and saying I think we'll make those europeans suffer because we can or perhaps it's just a matter of limited resources and sometimes things just take time. For all we know, O2 is the one holding everything up or some government agency. I'm sure they will get you the update as soon as possible and if that happens to be in 2 weeks then so be it.

    Or better yet, if you can't stand it then vote with your money and move onto another phone system, it's the best way to show your displeasure at the state of affairs.

    I'm in Asia and we're being totally ignored so at least you got the phone, I have to jump through hoops to get a phone out here. We get no support of any kind.
    Hi =)

    Well I don't want to compare our beloved Pre to the ipod-phone wanna be device. However pick any other phone in the market...any...and tell me which other doesn't support video recording?

    I am a developer in a Telecom company (we deal with Call Centre software) and we do release a list of fixes/enhancements to be available for the next release of our platform. Not everything makes it but I would say 90% does. We sign up agreements with out customers and try to honour the SLAs. Thing is ok the phone market is a bit different. I am not asking Palm to promise me that video will be on 1.4 or 1.5 or 1.6. But I would like to know if they even looking at it. Will it be soon or in a year's time? Not just the video recording but any other feature other end users have requested. Do you see my point?

    Especially when it comes to apps that were supposed to be ready at launch time. (ex facebook app - although I do not care about it at all I had to mention it cause its half done after 5 months). Usually even with Windows when the beta is out or before release they say we support XYZ. Not buy windows now and in 6 months you may have XYZ feature. Again do you see my point?

    I can understand the limited resources too. We are a 50 ppl company and sometimes we work very late to meet targets. Or have to postpone releases. However we do let our customers know. I am not asking Palm to commit on dates, but to keep us up to date. That's all.

    How do you know its O2's fault? When I rang them to ask about patch 1.2.1 they said nothing to do with us. Check with Palm. Then I rang Palm and they said it was their fault and they were working on it.

    Don't get me wrong I have been a Palm enthusiast for years. I had a Palm III a IIIxe, a Tungsten, a TX and now the Pre. I just don't like being in the dark that is all.

    I feel sorry for you in terms of no support. I hope you guys get it there very soon. Again I may have moaned a lot, but as I said I just want better customer support.

    I hope the above haven't upset anyone =)
    Cheers
    Vas
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    They are very much working on it, the binaries for video recording have been found in the 1.3.1 update and means palm is very much working on a recorder, also a homebrew patch should be released soon using these capabilities to allow video recording.

    App install limit, whilst i personally havent come across the issue, it is frustating i would imagine, and nonsensical, do hope they fix this once the app catalog comes out of beta in december.

    My biggest gripe has to be BT file transfer, i mean come on! phones i has back in 2003 were able to do this! And no you cant send vCards via Bluetooth as fair as i know.

    Remember palm has around a 1000 employees which is a small fraction compared to giants like Apple & Google, but they are working on it, however, we as consumers can only take so much too and they need to be addressed, and fast.
    Thanks for the info and for the understanding. Again I would have happy to pay double the money for the phone (on top of the contract) if the phone was "perfect" at launch time. I understand that it is a brand new product and there will be hiccups. I would never turn to Apple and most of the other mobile manufacturers have lost their appeal to me. I have waited for this phone for many years. I found the Pro and Treo's a bit ancient, so I never owned one. I was just hoping for a more smooth customer support for Europe (since we never got 1.2.1 and we have no idea what is coming next).

    Vas
  17. #37  
    I chatted today with the german Palm support and they couldn't tell me when the update is coming...They just said that it will definitely come...Nice Palm...
  18. #38  
    I am happy to wait for 2 weeks. However I would like to have before Xmas the install app size limit fixed, and the BT transfer all sorted. Flash and cam rec could wait for after new year. Ok I would love to be able to watch bbc player etc but flash will also fill us with pointless adverts. I hope someone writes a patch to selectively load what flash part you want on a page...
  19. ldj
    ldj is offline
    ldj's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    #39  
    I had video recording on my old phone and NEVER used it. Apple released an iPod with video capability but not photo, so its not just Palm.
    Personally I think webos is fantastic and cannot wait for 1.3.1 and all the goodness it will bring......

    P.s. Never had a SINGLE os update in more than 2yrs with Win Mo 6 and TMobile, so a 1month wait after launch is outstanding IMO
  20. robdos's Avatar
    Posts
    199 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    #40  
    I work for a small software developer. I bought the pre knowing it didn't meet my needs (no sat nav), but I reaaly feel for the underdog. The only way to support them is to buy their product.

    I am sick of hearing "we bought microsoft because they are microsoft" when I know for fact I have a less expensive and better product.

    Go palm, I don't want apples all over my house.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions