Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To those of you who are on your second, third, fourth Pre's, how are you doing it? Were all of those replacements in 30 days, or are you in the insurance? What damage did you have to get Sprint to agree to replacement? Did you get a refurbished model, or a new one? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Isn't it ironic that you don't know? I mean, one would think that you simply take it back to Sprint (or the place you bought it). Sadly, this is not the case.

You can take it back to Sprint. Maybe. They don't have to give you another phone- don't even get me started on how crazy that is. Oh- and if you DO get another one through the Sprint store, make sure you check your bill, because they'll attempt to charge you another activation fee. How nice!

More than likely, you'll drive out of your way to a Sprint Service and Repair facility. Some of them have replacement Pre's in stock- most don't. What fun! Did I mention that you can only do this (for free) if you pay an extra $84 per year for the privilege of doing so?

After you get fed up, you can go directly to Palm. Don't call their 800 number, or suffer the wrath of the overseas call center representatives. Palm can (will?) send you out a replacement phone. Notice how I didn't say new? Send 'em the phone, and they'll send you another one. If you raise a big enough stink, and have a legitimate reason (these may not be mutually inclusive, btw), they'll send you an advance replacement- where they charge you, then credit it back. If you've been born with the "gift of gab", (or I'm assuming, a girl who can cry on cue), you can get them to send you the phone first, no charge. They will get your credit card number, however, in case you decide that honor is not your forté.

FWIW, I've successfully goaded Palm into sending me a new phone twice, which is not their normal SOP. I was told though, that the person you're talking to has the option of getting you a new one or a refurb, depending. It has to be cleared by a supervisor, but that's easy, if you have him/her convinced you need one. The real tricky part? Getting a non-refurb phone (read: New In Box) with a build date that corresponds to their later builds with some of the earlier quirks ironed out. That's what this past phone call was about- I'll keep you updated.
    What's really sad is a thread is started by a user whose motive isn't clear (phone broken? Or just asking because you want a new phone?), and it's respomded to with a bomch of BS that's enirely misleading at best.

OP - what's the ptoblem with your phone?
  4.    #4  
    I dropped the phone and got a medium-sized gash on the screen that feels rough when I slide my thumb over it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobib View Post
    I dropped the phone and got a medium-sized gash on the screen that feels rough when I slide my thumb over it now.
    If you have insurance, take it to a Sprint service center. If not, live with it.

See how simple that was?
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I posted this on the post you had a few hours ago

"Ok .. I see some incorrect information. With water damage they DO NOT replace it @ the store. you have to go through insurance. ASURION is the company you would have to go through when you have sprint, you can get their info from sprint. IT is a $100 deductible NOT a $50. If you do it online you get free next day shipping. the chances of getting a new phone are 50 /50. I'm on my 4th pre and got a new one once and refubished ones twice. The new ones come new in box with ALL accessories, the refurbished ones come with battery and charger (which you can keep and not have to return the old ones).

The only time they fix/replace it @ the store is if it programing or a known problem (ex. touch screen broke and there is NO water damage) "

The first time I replaced it , it had water damage and i couldn;t hear correctly, paid $100 to asurion...

They sent me a refurbished phone .. screws were loose and it came apart... sprint store wouldn't take it back and they blamed me .. another $100 to asurion

Then they send me a BRAND NEW PHONE!!! YAY!!! had it for 2 weeks .. touch screen stopped working ... UGH!! took it to sprint ...

They finally took it and replaced it with a refurbished one for free...

SO FAR SO GOOD...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If you have insurance, take it to a Sprint service center. If not, live with it.

See how simple that was?
    I do have insurance; my question is, will they see a screen scratch as a problem and let me get a replacement, or will they send me away? Also, can I get my replacement directly from the store or must I wait for it to be shipped?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    What's really sad is a thread is started by a user whose motive isn't clear (phone broken? Or just asking because you want a new phone?), and it's respomded to with a bomch of BS that's enirely misleading at best.

OP - what's the ptoblem with your phone?
    In which way is it misleading in the slightest? I'll be on my 7th Pre next week. Pretty sure that makes me an expert in getting replacement phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    In which way is it misleading in the slightest? I'll be on my 7th Pre next week. Pretty sure that makes me an expert in getting replacement phones.
    It's quite simple. While your experience may have been genuine (I'm skeptical), it is only your experience. Here's an example:

Oh- and if you DO get another one through the Sprint store, make sure you check your bill, because they'll attempt to charge you another activation fee. How nice!
    I've exchanged a number of phones with Sprint through my TEP. I've never once been charged an additional activation fee.

The rest of your post is filled with the same sort of whineyness. You're not returning a new phone, why should you be able to demand a new phone? Your warrantly clearly stated that the phone could be replaced with a refurb. Did you not read it? Shame you if you didn't. Shame on you if you did and didn't believe it (beginning to see a pattern here?)

I've had to return several Palm devices with Sprint over the years I've been a customer. I've never had the type of problems you've experienced. Maybe their legit, maybe not; however, to come on here and imply that's what everyone should expect is misleading. To state that Sprint will attempt to charge an additional activation fee is simply false.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobib View Post
    I do have insurance; my question is, will they see a screen scratch as a problem and let me get a replacement, or will they send me away? Also, can I get my replacement directly from the store or must I wait for it to be shipped?
    I suppose that depends on how severe the scratch is.

Here's what I would do:

First, make sure that wherever you go, that you do so with the right attitude. You are asking them to do you a favor, to go the extra mile. They're used to dealing with folks that lie, try to cheat, and make outrageous demands on a regular basis; they will (usually) appreciate someone calm and honest.

Take it to a Sprint repair center. Might not hurt to let them know in advance that you're bringing in a Pre. Politely mention that you have TEP. Explain the situation calmly, and tell them what you'd like them to do. Be willing to take a refurb phone (they are not "used" phones, the cases are new, the circuitry is the only thing "used", if that.)

Chances are decent that you will walk out with a new (to you) phone, without paying a deductible. That approach has worked with me on 2 cracked Centro screens, and even one dunked Treo 650 (fell into the bilge on my sailboat - long story).
    First and foremost you need to acknowledge the fact that you ruined/ jacked your phone, not Sprint and not Palm. That being said, it appears you have insurance.

Insurance, whether health, house, etc., is a gamble you take with a company that you are willing to pay extra money because you bet you will blow it or your phone will blow it. Clearly you have blown it. That being said, the moral and ethical route is to take this up with your insurer, afterall you took the gamble and won! Fairly too!

I, being the insignificant person I am, have no problem with you taking it back to Sprint and/or Palm (better luck with Sprint) and being honest and seeing if they can help you. We... uhhh hmmm, Sprint employees prefer you not be a jerk, be honest, and be appreciative of Sprints GREAT policies at customer retention, after all, we.... uhhhh hmmm, Sprint owes it to consumers to make up for their horrific past wrong doings with customer service.

That being said, there is no legal recourse if you are beyond your 30 days. Just try the Sprint avenue first and if that doesn't work, go the insurance route and buy a case or some sort of protecting unit to prevent this in the future.

My wife is "Countess Von Drop A Lotta Phones" whereas I am not, and therefore I know that I most often do not need a case whereas she does. She also gets insurance on her phone whereas I do not.

Good luck; be honest, kind, humble but assertive and you will get a new phone somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryprod View Post
    First and foremost you need to acknowledge the fact that you ruined/ jacked your phone, not Sprint and not Palm. That being said, it appears you have insurance.

Insurance, whether health, house, etc., is a gamble you take with a company that you are willing to pay extra money because you bet you will blow it or your phone will blow it. Clearly you have blown it. That being said, the moral and ethical route is to take this up with your insurer, afterall you took the gamble and won! Fairly too!

I, being the insignificant person I am, have no problem with you taking it back to Sprint and/or Palm (better luck with Sprint) and being honest and seeing if they can help you. We... uhhh hmmm, Sprint employees prefer you not be a jerk, be honest, and be appreciative of Sprints GREAT policies at customer retention, after all, we.... uhhhh hmmm, Sprint owes it to consumers to make up for their horrific past wrong doings with customer service.

That being said, there is no legal recourse if you are beyond your 30 days. Just try the Sprint avenue first and if that doesn't work, go the insurance route and buy a case or some sort of protecting unit to prevent this in the future.

My wife is "Countess Von Drop A Lotta Phones" whereas I am not, and therefore I know that I most often do not need a case whereas she does. She also gets insurance on her phone whereas I do not.

Good luck; be honest, kind, humble but assertive and you will get a new phone somehow.
    Never spoken better...we who are in retail see assertive all the time but rarely do we see assertive combined with honest, kind, and humble. Those are the key attributes to getting someone to work with you or to tell you to **** off. After 23 years in retail I can say that is by far your best shot!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    It's quite simple. While your experience may have been genuine (I'm skeptical), it is only your experience. Here's an example:

I've exchanged a number of phones with Sprint through my TEP. I've never once been charged an additional activation fee.

The rest of your post is filled with the same sort of whineyness. You're not returning a new phone, why should you be able to demand a new phone? Your warrantly clearly stated that the phone could be replaced with a refurb. Did you not read it? Shame you if you didn't. Shame on you if you did and didn't believe it (beginning to see a pattern here?)

I've had to return several Palm devices with Sprint over the years I've been a customer. I've never had the type of problems you've experienced. Maybe their legit, maybe not; however, to come on here and imply that's what everyone should expect is misleading. To state that Sprint will attempt to charge an additional activation fee is simply false.
    Thank you for posting your reasoning. Now feel free to go back to sucking at the teet that is the Palm and Sprint duo that you've been doing for the "years that you've been a customer".

You do realize that MY experience (however less than ordinary it may be) is the same as YOUR experience, just a matter of perspective, right? That is to say, I've been charged the additional activation fee, and it seems to be the norm. You have not, and THAT seems to be the norm. To deride me for having my bad experiences would be the same thing as deriding you for your good one. Which of course, I'm as skeptical of, as you are of mine.

Kick back on the term "whineyness", would you please? And while we're at it, quit questioning what I say. This ain't the X-Files, and the truth ain't out there—I spelled out the truth in my original post.

And since you seem to be a company boy, let me blow your mind right now: Just because a company makes something policy, doesn't mean that said policy is right, legal, or just. There are laws in place to protect consumers from getting treated poorly, just as there are laws in place from preventing companies from paying you less than minimum wage. (No offense, btw, if you happen to make minimum wage. Really.). When I buy a product, and through no fault of my own, that product fails, I demand the product I paid for- a NEW one. Your circular logic of "it's used, so you should get a used one" is akin to getting a half-chewed or half-eaten burger at a restaurant to replace the undercooked one that had to be sent back.

Oh yeah—since I seem to be giving lessons now (don't worry- no charge!), "warrantly" ≠ "warranty", and "their" ≠ "they're". FYI. Congratulations on never having a bad experience with Palm or Sprint. Something tells me you rarely have bad experiences because you seem to accept what you're given. Keep in mind—I don't expect the poor experience that I (and others) have received, it's just what I know. So when a person asks "how do you get a new Pre?" on a discussion board, and I tell that person my experience in receiving multiple new Pre's, I'm participating in the conversation. May I suggest you simply participate next time, instead of attacking? K, thanks.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Manufacturers defect = Sprint/Palm replacement
    User defect = insurance claim

It's really simple. There are, as in all things in life, exceptions to the rules. A Sprint repair center could easily replace/repair a phone that was missused but they do not have to. They generally won't if you do not have TEP applied to that line of service.

Now about the new versus refurb replacement. If the phone had problems within the first 30 days, you would get a new replacement if a replacement is warrented. If however you have problems after the 30 days, you will and SHOULD get a refurb.

So tell me, if you get a hamburger and eat half of it and wait 30 days to return the other half, do you feel obligated to get a new hamburger for free?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Manufacturers defect = Sprint/Palm replacement
    So tell me, if you get a hamburger and eat half of it and wait 30 days to return the other half, do you feel obligated to get a new hamburger for free?
    Really?

K, guys, gather 'round, and listen closely. Come closer. Ack! Too close! (my apologies to Disney's Alladin).

You have a warranty on your phone. Woot! The 1st 30 days (sometimes it's only 14, or less) are the store's return policy from wherever you got your phone (Sprint, Fry's, Best Buy, etc.). But your phone is warrantied for a year. Now stay with me...

If your phone fails outside of that 30 day window, but hasn't failed within that 30 day window, you get a replacement phone that is a refurb. That kinda sucks, but it's a policy that's easier to defend.

If your phone fails outside of that 30 day window, AND has failed within the 30 day window, YOU SHOULD GET A NEW PHONE. And if that phone continues to give you problems, replace it with a new one, until it doesn't.

In reality of course, they should repair your phone, not give you a replacement, unless said replacement is warranted, but... it's Sprint's policy, courtesy of Palm, that they don't fix phones, so there goes that option.

Remember, most companies will try to fix the issue with your product. If it can't be fixed satisfactorily, you would get a new product. Easy, peasy. Palm and Sprint's service cycle doesn't guarantee you a new phone at any time, and I'm sure they're not alone. They and the other companies are wrong, so don't buy into it.

It's simple, really. You paid for a new product. What's so hard to understand about that? Your new product has a warranty. What's so hard to understand about that? Defending Sprint and/or Palm for appeasing you with a refurbished device (when you paid for a new one of all things!) is borderline ********. Are you a ******? (Once again, I feel I should make an apology- this time to Zach Galifianakis for a brilliant pronunciation). Or are you just a company shill?
    If your phone fails outside of that 30 day window, AND has failed within the 30 day window, YOU SHOULD GET A NEW PHONE. And if that phone continues to give you problems, replace it with a new one, until it doesn't.
    My first pre failed on day 1 (release day - June 6). But the sprint store didn't have any replacements for me, so I waited a couple of weeks until they got another one. They replaced it with a new one.

That one failed about a month later (>30 days after release day). The store I went to replaced it with the only one they had on hand: a new one.

That one failed about 3 weeks ago. And the sprint store ordered me a refurb. Which arrived with a problem.

I went back to the store and calmly told them the whole story of how many Pre's I've had. And *they* offered to replace it with a new one. I didn't have to ask. It was their suggestion.

My point with all of this is to point out that the people on the other end of the transaction have discretion to give you a new phone or a refurb. And they exercise that discretion based on one thing: whether or not they can relate to your story. In other words, if they think the bad guy is Palm for making a broken device, they'll try as hard as they can to help you: the good guy. But if they think you're a jerk, then they're going to try and help the good guy in the story. If you go in, guns blazing, and make them the enemy, they will think you are the bad guy, and do as little as possible to help you.

But if you're nice, calm and non-accusatory, it's amazing how often they'll exercise their discretion in your favor.
    Defending Sprint and/or Palm for appeasing you with a refurbished device (when you paid for a new one of all things!) is borderline ********. Are you a ******?
    If your tone with sprint is at all like the tone that appears to be in your forum posts, it's not really that surprising to me that you're not getting what you want. Perhaps, consider a new strategy?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    AHH ARE SOME OF US MISSING THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ORIGINAL POST????

The post originator damaged his phone himself.....its not "BAD" or defective.

As with any other product out there today....you get warranty wording suchs as "it is our option to repair or replace.....with new or like new product"

Whats all the fuss and arguing..it was stated above...<30 days and a problem Sprint will replace. >30 <1 year its warranty Through PALM.... YOU DAMAGE IT = Insurance claim.

You can ask Sprint to replace a phone that suffered your mistake, but if they dont, then you mistake....pay the deductible and move on....you are getting what you paid for and with in the guidlines of the papers you signed and agreed to.

I guess I hate whinners.....and those people who think someones OWES them something for nothing.

Bottom Line.....you pay for phone....you break it your bad pay up and get another...if it is defective then you should get a phone that works...(not a new one, unless no refurb ones are available).

I have gotten refurbs, and I think its better....some of the previous bugs are worked out of refurbs , where as a NEW out of the box phone may be an old release with bugs and problems.

OK NOW IM STEPPING DOWN OFF THE SOAPBOX......NEXT!!!!
    Isn't it ironic that you don't know? I mean, one would think that you simply take it back to Sprint (or the place you bought it). Sadly, this is not the case.

You can take it back to Sprint. Maybe. They don't have to give you another phone- don't even get me started on how crazy that is. Oh- and if you DO get another one through the Sprint store, make sure you check your bill, because they'll attempt to charge you another activation fee. How nice!

More than likely, you'll drive out of your way to a Sprint Service and Repair facility. Some of them have replacement Pre's in stock- most don't. What fun! Did I mention that you can only do this (for free) if you pay an extra $84 per year for the privilege of doing so?

After you get fed up, you can go directly to Palm. Don't call their 800 number, or suffer the wrath of the overseas call center representatives. Palm can (will?) send you out a replacement phone. Notice how I didn't say new? Send 'em the phone, and they'll send you another one. If you raise a big enough stink, and have a legitimate reason (these may not be mutually inclusive, btw), they'll send you an advance replacement- where they charge you, then credit it back. If you've been born with the "gift of gab", (or I'm assuming, a girl who can cry on cue), you can get them to send you the phone first, no charge. They will get your credit card number, however, in case you decide that honor is not your forté.

FWIW, I've successfully goaded Palm into sending me a new phone twice, which is not their normal SOP. I was told though, that the person you're talking to has the option of getting you a new one or a refurb, depending. It has to be cleared by a supervisor, but that's easy, if you have him/her convinced you need one. The real tricky part? Getting a non-refurb phone (read: New In Box) with a build date that corresponds to their later builds with some of the earlier quirks ironed out. That's what this past phone call was about- I'll keep you updated.
    Uh, I didn't experience any of the stuff you mentioned about Sprint, and I'm on phone #4. I've never been charged another activation fee, I've been able to get a replacement phone within 2 days, and they've never turned me down, it's always been legitimate warranty issues. Palm suggest you go to Sprint first, because Palm prefers to repair phones when possible, so you'd be without for 2 weeks. I also know for a fact, if the current refurb I have goes out, the Sprint store will replace it with a new one, not a refurb, I had a lengthy conversation with a shift manager, who told me if it happens again, to speak to the store manager instead. Maybe your mileage with Sprint has varied, but from here it looks like a bunch of garbage.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    If your tone with sprint is at all like the tone that appears to be in your forum posts, it's not really that surprising to me that you're not getting what you want. Perhaps, consider a new strategy?
    What I wanted was a working phone from day 1. Then I wanted a working phone the next time. On the "third time's a charm" sequence, I wanted a working phone. 4th time? You guessed it, I wanted a working phone. 5th and 6th, same thing. I'm not getting what I want because Palm has failed to make a device that has a substantial build quality.

I'm glad you got a new phone, but as I'm sure you've realized, they made exceptions- I've had many exceptions applied for my behalf as well. And my experience as a result is my experience, which I shared. The fact that so many people are on their 3rd, 4th, and 5th Palm Pre's in just as many months is telling. Palm and Sprint don't deserve a pass for that; rather the story of people who are past their 1st phone needs to be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Uh, I didn't experience any of the stuff you mentioned about Sprint, and I'm on phone #4. I've never been charged another activation fee, I've been able to get a replacement phone within 2 days, and they've never turned me down, it's always been legitimate warranty issues. Palm suggest you go to Sprint first, because Palm prefers to repair phones when possible, so you'd be without for 2 weeks. I also know for a fact, if the current refurb I have goes out, the Sprint store will replace it with a new one, not a refurb, I had a lengthy conversation with a shift manager, who told me if it happens again, to speak to the store manager instead. Maybe your mileage with Sprint has varied, but from here it looks like a bunch of garbage.
    It shouldn't look like garbage- YOU ARE ON YOUR 4th PHONE!!! The way you got there may have been a different path than mine, but we, along with MANY others, are waaaaay past their 1st or 2nd phone. And that's inexcusable. BTW- Palm doesn't suggest anything- they outright demand you go to Sprint within the 1st 30 days. It's in their contract with Sprint. Once again- you're on your 4th phone! How can you possibly take the stance you're taking? It's asinine. You had to have a conversation with the store manager to replace the refurb'd phone with a new one, and a lengthy one, at that. The way I see it, you had a new phone, had problems, got a replacement phone, then another replacement phone, then a refurb'd replacement phone. You're already expecting it to go out, as you're planning for your 5th phone. Come on, man- take the red pill, and see how far down the rabbit hole you can go.

What's different between our situations? You didn't get charged an activation fee, and haven't dealt directly with Palm yet. When/if you do, it's posts like mine that can gibe you a heads up about what could happen. Every situation is different, but guidance is what many look to the forums to provide. In this case, the OP wanted to know how people are getting their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Pre's. I told him my story. My name's not Aesop, and I'm not making up fables- sorry to disappoint you.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    AHH ARE SOME OF US MISSING THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ORIGINAL POST????

The post originator damaged his phone himself.....its not "BAD" or defective.
    True dat. He didn't exactly spell that out in his first post, and my response was the 1st one- sorry to lead the thread astray. But when people talk crazy talk, as a doctor, I prescribe a dose of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DocHemi View Post
    I have gotten refurbs, and I think its better....some of the previous bugs are worked out of refurbs , where as a NEW out of the box phone may be an old release with bugs and problems.
    E tu, Bruté? Not ANOTHER company shill! Hear me loudly: Refurbs aren't better than new! How 'bout a new phone with no bugs? You paid for a new phone that works. If you don't get one, it is up to the company to replace it until you get what you paid for. End of story.

Refurb better than new? That's plain silly.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast