webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > phone calls and wifi???
phone calls and wifi???

Old 11/11/2009, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

I came across a couple of threads and the question has lingered.

While using a wifi connection, do my phone calls come in via wifi or Sprint Network?

On this same note, I recently applied and got accepted to Google Voice. I also have the a couple of Google Voice Apps on my phone. What I don't understand is why someone would want to use GV to make or receive calls on their cell phone. I do get the call fowarding aspect of GV, I'm just not sure I get the rest.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

The reason to use GV to place your calls would be for your GV number to show up on caller ID for the person you're calling. I use my GV number for my business, so if I want my business number to show up for someone, I call through GV. If I want my cell number to show up, I obviously don't.

When you make a call you use the Network regardless of wifi.
jdw3018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
The reason to use GV to place your calls would be for your GV number to show up on caller ID for the person you're calling. I use my GV number for my business, so if I want my business number to show up for someone, I call through GV. If I want my cell number to show up, I obviously don't.

When you make a call you use the Network regardless of wifi.
Ok, so when placing calls via GV, one would basically do that to "mask" their cell number. Is it possible, and I'll check GV settings, to get the number shown to be a different number than the actual GV number? i.e. My work number is not my cell or my GV, but it would be cool if I could call people from my cell and make it look as though I'm calling from my office phone.

Without looking back through my phone records to try to figure this out, how are calls that are placed with GV billed? Am I getting billed for an outgoing AND an incoming call? Or just for one or the other? I am guessing that if I call a cell with my GV#, I'm not getting that as a free call as I would if I called directly from my phone.

As for the call being on the Network regardless, then why do people say they like having wifi, so they can make calls from places with poor Network coverage?

Thanks for the quick responses...
Old 11/11/2009, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's not possible with GV to have a different number show up.

You won't get the advantage of mobile-to-mobile, you'll just use minutes as if you placed a call. Same thing if someone calls your GV number and you answer on your mobile. Regardless of their calling from a mobile, you'll use minutes as if it were a land line.

I don't know that I've ever seen someone say that about making calls w/ wifi. If you use Sprint Airave, it works through your internet connection, but still uses your phone's radio to connect the phone to the Airave. If you have some sort of VoIP service, you could use that over wifi.
jdw3018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Google Voice is *not* VoIP.
dallashigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

and as far as I know there is no VoIP app available homebrew or otherwise for the Pre currently. I would love to have one though since my office is in a basement with poor cell coverage (only sprint works there our t-mobile and Verizon phones all have coverage) but excellent wifi coverage. Unfortunately Airrave wont wok since it needs to get a GPS signal to set it up.
skribbles505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 10:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can call my house phone from my gDail program. I put my Pre on airplane mode, then enable wi-fi. you can place a "quick call" from gDial. you cannot really talk, but it records everything that is said from the home line.
iwalkthrowwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

has anyone tried anything like skype? Or will the program not run on the phone?
Old 11/11/2009, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwalkthrowwalls View Post
I can call my house phone from my gDail program. I put my Pre on airplane mode, then enable wi-fi. you can place a "quick call" from gDial. you cannot really talk, but it records everything that is said from the home line.
can I ask what the point of this is, or just that its possible.
Old 11/11/2009, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

No Service but have wifi?

Set up Google Voice Voicemail w/Sprint Phone Number, you still get your voicemails sent to gDial Pro (Can listen and read what Google Transcribed to text over wifi).
Can then text via Google Voice number to that caller via Wifi. "Call you when I have service", or just have your convo over text.

Last edited by GrantHeppes; 11/11/2009 at 10:57 PM.
grantheppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

just to say that it is possible.
iwalkthrowwalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0