1.    #1  
    I've been a Pre owner since day one, love the phone, still on my first unit, etc... however, recent life changes have made me contemplate drastic changes to my budget including either dropping my Sprint plan altogether or significantly cutting back to a phone-only service. I have 2 main questions:

1) Do I have to have the Everything Data plan with the Pre, or can I use it as a phone only? (I know it defeats the purpose, but at least I'd still have a phone)

2) If I cancel Sprint altogether, could I still use certain apps, get OS updates, install homebrew apps, etc via the wifi connection to my home broadband? What about Google Voice over wifi? Looking for ideas on how I could utilize this device without a data plan...

any ideas/suggestions would be appreaciated.

Thanks!
    1) yes
    2) no

sorry - the pre doesnt work, wont turn on at all when not connected to a network, and sprint does require you to have an everything data plan with this phone.
  3.    #3  
    thanks
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    wait a minute. If you are determined it can be done. But its not ready out of the box
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    1) yes
    2) no

sorry - the pre doesnt work, wont turn on at all when not connected to a network, and sprint does require you to have an everything data plan with this phone.
    Uh, are you sure about this? How then are the developers on here with phones but no service in their country using the phones for development purposes? I understand activation.. there are ways around that. But when the phone is already activated, it just might keep working without a phone plan at all.

I don't know one way or another 100%, I've never tried it.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
  6.    #6  
    maybe we should talk hypothetically speaking... what could it do?

i don't see how it would be any different than being in the middle of the desert with no service. the phone would still turn on, i could still use my apps, etc, right?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    1) yes
    2) yes*

*Google voice: no.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    thanks I meant to throw that link in my post. Wasn't sure if he was "determined"
    Last edited by jbelew; 11/11/2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: quote failed
  10.    #10  
    thanks to all
    turn on airplane mode and turn on wi-fi. test it for a while. that will be equivalent to not having service. you can send texts via Google Voice, surf the web, install home brews all on wi-fi. I'm sure there will be leaked WEBOS Doctor files that will be able to update your phone.