1.    #1  
    When I send the evil emoticon to my wife's Pre (it's funny because it's Satan) by typing >:>, it converts properly in my SMS log, but not on her phone. Our phones are both at 1.2.1, and neither has any patches. Smileys come through just fine.

Anyone else see anything like this, or have any idea how the messages might parse differently from sender's log to receiver's log? I really need to be able to invoke the Prince of Darkness in my texting.

Regards,
    Tom
    My wife and I both have Pre's and we do not have any issues sending or receiving smiley's. Both of us have the Smiley patch, though.

I have noticed that if you do not leave a space at the beginning and end of the smiley, it may interfere with it.

Try typing the following and send it to ur wife's Pre

:evil
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Where can I find a complete list of these?
    I'm sick of using the same ones all the time.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/11/2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Where can I find a complete list of these?
    I'm sick of using the same ones all the time.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1864300
    [QUOTE=cas_esq;2027931][url]

Thanx Cas.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 11/11/2009 at 02:51 PM.
    Here's a silly question, but one I haven't figured out yet: are emoticons the same across devices? For example, the emoticons I send to my wife (other than the simplest ones) don't seem to work on her Treo, and vice versa. Ida thunk these were standards...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Good question, don't know.

Testing testing 123...
    :doh:
    :lol:

:footinmouth:
    :sick:
    :eww:
    :surprised:
    :embarrassed:
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Good question, don't know.

Testing testing 123...
    :doh:
    :lol:

:footinmouth:
    :sick:
    :eww:
    :surprised:
    :embarrassed:
    Well that didn't work too well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Here's a silly question, but one I haven't figured out yet: are emoticons the same across devices? For example, the emoticons I send to my wife (other than the simplest ones) don't seem to work on her Treo, and vice versa. Ida thunk these were standards...
    depends on the code you use, iirc if you check the help section of the messaging app, it will show you what codes should show across platforms and what codes are webos specific.

as the user above the wife and I both have the smilie patch and I always use the ones using "sym k" vs the written smilies. In general I have found the symbol smilies to be more universal than the written word smilies. This is with phones, email, web forums, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    depends on the code you use, iirc if you check the help section of the messaging app, it will show you what codes should show across platforms and what codes are webos specific.

as the user above the wife and I both have the smilie patch and I always use the ones using "sym k" vs the written smilies. In general I have found the symbol smilies to be more universal than the written word smilies. This is with phones, email, web forums, etc.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Try typing the following and send it to ur wife's Pre

:evil
    That was my last test I sent her, and she hasn't replied yet (maybe cuz it finally worked!).

I know these are phone-dependent, especially the less common ones, but we both have Pres.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    That was my last test I sent her, and she hasn't replied yet (maybe cuz it finally worked!).

I know these are phone-dependent, especially the less common ones, but we both have Pres.
    If you go to a messaging window, press top left icon "messaging" and then help, fourth selection down "use emoticons in messaging, you'll get a list of the ones for your Pres.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    If you go to a messaging window, press top left icon "messaging" and then help, fourth selection down "use emoticons in messaging, you'll get a list of the ones for your Pres.
    Now that you mention it, it was looking at that exact list that got me going on this in the first place. That's where I saw >:> as one of the methods to get "evil".

BTW, she has since reported back that :evil worked, though in the alert bar it didn't parse as an emoticon.

No biggie getting it right with the wife, it's with the 12 y.o. daughter I gotta know what I'm doing. With her, you're either or

Regards,
    Tom