Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Interesting article here comparing the Droid to mostly the iPhone, but also the Pre.

The Droid fails AS A PRODUCT when compared to Palm Pre and iPhone

-mark
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Good find and good read too. Now... I love my Pre... love love love it. BUT - if it were to take a crap on me, I would probably buy a used HTC Magic, upgrade the droid OS on it, and toss that on my Bell account instead of buying another Pre.

1. To see another OS in action for myself
    2. Buying a pre up here off contract is unreal cost wise
    3. I kinda like the form of it

It is googles first phone though - so I'm sure there will be build issues with it, just as our Pre's had. Time will tell I guess.

I've also heard that multitouch IS there.... just disabled for some reason...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecode View Post
    Good find and good read too. Now... I love my Pre... love love love it. BUT - if it were to take a crap on me, I would probably buy a used HTC Magic, upgrade the droid OS on it, and toss that on my Bell account instead of buying another Pre.

1. To see another OS in action for myself
    2. Buying a pre up here off contract is unreal cost wise
    3. I kinda like the form of it

It is googles first phone though - so I'm sure there will be build issues with it, just as our Pre's had. Time will tell I guess.

I've also heard that multitouch IS there.... just disabled for some reason...
    Ummmm... First phone?...what about the G1, myTouch, etc?... also Google claims not to have anything to do with any Android phone hardware... so...

What it really boils down to for most people is the UI experience, and the major thing that webOS has going for it is a spectacular UI experience that is only getting better...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Every single review that I've read of the Android software always says that the UI is too complicated when compared to Apple or Palm's UI. A complicated UI is a turn-off to non-techie consumer.

But I do like the Verizon commercials like this one: . By far my favorite!
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Just a quick comment...listened to the PCMag podcast yesterday talking all the hype of the Droid. The hosts still agree that webOS is the best UI concept of the bunch. Droid is only getting a lot of press because it's the best / most tech you can get on Verizon right now.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I played with the Sprint Android phones and completely agree that its too complicated for the average user. With the Pre & iPhone the average Joe can pick it up and figure it out in a few minutes.

Having never seen the Droid in person I can't really comment, but when I first saw a picture I remember thinking that they might as well add another 1.3" to the screen and call it a tablet pc.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dustysa4 View Post
    I played with the Sprint Android phones and completely agree that its too complicated for the average user. With the Pre & iPhone the average Joe can pick it up and figure it out in a few minutes.

Having never seen the Droid in person I can't really comment, but when I first saw a picture I remember thinking that they might as well add another 1.3" to the screen and call it a tablet pc.
    I played with the Droid for a few minutes at my local bestbuy.

One thing I noticed is that the Droid's screen looked awesome - BUT the Pre's browser was faster.
    -m
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    But I do like the Verizon commercials like this one: . By far my favorite!
    I saw it this morning for the first time. I laughed.
    Droid has no real multi-touch? What the???
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Droid has no real multi-touch? What the???
    People claim that it can do multi-touch once Android is updated to support it, but since Apple claims they have a patent on it (I don't see how you can patent using more than one finger to do something), there is a large chance it'll never come out since Google doesn't want to fight Apple.
    Thanks for the link and good review.

Haven't figured why so many people are all ga ga over the droid. Checked it out personally at Best Buy and was not that impressed. Did anyone else think it was kinda heavy? The battery slot must be a problem since BB glued their demo so it wouldn't fall off or walk away (more likely).

The screen size was nice and interfacing seemed responsive, but nothing else stood out as ground breaking.

I'm guessing the tech industry is getting tired of comparing everything to the iphone...any improvement in tech is better then no improvements.

Sorli...
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Thanks for the link and good review.

Haven't figured why so many people are all ga ga over the droid. Checked it out personally at Best Buy and was not that impressed. Did anyone else think it was kinda heavy? The battery slot must be a problem since BB glued their demo so it wouldn't fall off or walk away (more likely).

The screen size was nice and interfacing seemed responsive, but nothing else stood out as ground breaking.

I'm guessing the tech industry is getting tired of comparing everything to the iphone...any improvement in tech is better then no improvements.

Sorli...
    I like the voice-activated google search and navigation features - I wish we'd get those sooner rather then later..
    -m
    I remember reading that the droid sold about 100K units the first weekend, which was about half the inventory on hand. That's decent sales, but nothing Earth-shattering. I believe the Pre was close to that the first weekend, and that's with a much less aggressive marketing push.

We'll see what happens over time, of course, but given the hype and subsequent loss of luster, I wouldn't expect the droid to have any huge ramp.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    nothing real ever matters. all that does is whether the media talks about vz and droid, which they do along with the cryPhone. palm doesn't get any respect but it should with the best smartphone out there right now.
    It seems like a good platform and will remain strong behind Verizion's advertising. The only problem to me, is that its just a windows mobile clone with a few added features....nothing real innovative going on there at first look. Maybe it'll evolve.

At least the Hero/Eris get a nice UI skin over the desktop.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    People claim that it can do multi-touch once Android is updated to support it, but since Apple claims they have a patent on it (I don't see how you can patent using more than one finger to do something), there is a large chance it'll never come out since Google doesn't want to fight Apple.
    Didn't some company overseas sue Apple for multi-touch?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    It seems like a good platform and will remain strong behind Verizion's advertising. The only problem to me, is that its just a windows mobile clone with a few added features....nothing real innovative going on there at first look. Maybe it'll evolve.

At least the Hero/Eris get a nice UI skin over the desktop.
    I agree with you man. Some smartphone users make a big deal out of Android's widgets and such but, as a former WM user, I have gotten too tired of these screen clutters.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    The european version of the Droid support multitouch... why it's not on the US version is beyond me... I use a Pre anyway so I don't care much..

Source:
    Moto Droid in Europe gets multi-touch | Electronista
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I like the voice-activated google search and navigation features - I wish we'd get those sooner rather then later..
    -m
    my mogul from several years ago had voice msn live search,i miss that alot,and dont understand why the tech seems to keep going backwards.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    my mogul from several years ago had voice msn live search,i miss that alot,and dont understand why the tech seems to keep going backwards.

Yep; I miss voice command and live search on my old Touch Pro
    -m
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast