Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm on the 3rd Pre. I switched to Sprint about two weeks after the Pres launch because my contract was up and I liked what the Pre offered. My first two Pres have both died the same - the headphone jack wore out after about 1 and a half months. I know I'm not the only one with this issue, I've read both this forum and the Palm one.

My issue is, I'm pretty sure that this one will wear out, too. In about two months, I'll have to go back in. That'll be 3 Pres in about 7 months. I really don't want another one. What's my best option to get Sprint to switch me to another phone, and I don't really want to pay because I spent $200 and signed a two-year contract to get two months of use out of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    There will be a lot of people who say "i'm still on my first one, how are you on your Xth pre?"

But I know it's difficult getting replacements. If Palm didn't give out such crappy refurbs, then people wouldn't be on their 4th or whatnot Pre. I'm on my second, and it has an oreo... but I'm trying to fix it on my own with superglue.
    There's like a case that Sprint has that properly shuts the phone and doesn't give it the oreo effect.

Also, I would just be careful when putting the headjack in... My 2nd Pre has a little headjack trouble, but my first one didn't.

I know you want a solid, functioning Pre. It's frustrating to see other people say they still have their first one and it's all solid. I wish there was a way we could get a perfect Pre in a much easier fashion, but there isn't. =/
  3.    #3  
    I really didn't even want the 3rd. I'm a good sport and will give it 6 months, but I'm really really frustrated. It should be able to go years without the headphone jack wearing out. This is 1970s stuff, Walkmans did fine, stereos did fine.

It's not that the headphones don't work, it's that the phone always thinks the headphones are in. So you can't talk on the phone normally. I don't see how to "be careful." You put the headphones in and take them out. There's really not much more to it. I'm not mad at you, I'm just mad that I've spent $200 bucks, and all I've gotten is trips down to the Sprint store. I could've gotten an iphone, a Hero, or waited and gotten a Droid.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Oh... that's a different story.

That happened with me too. It thought my headphones were in all the time and I had to use them to talk to people. It sucked.
    There's a fix to that somewhere on this forum.

But goodluck with all else...
  5.    #5  
    Doesn't work. And, I shouldn't have to do it. Paid too much to do little hacks and fixes. Something like a headphone jack should work without thinking about it.

Sorry to say it, but I never hear iphone users complain about their headphone jack.

Still, does anyone here know a good way to get Sprint to swap this for a different phone?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Yea I got tired of replacing mine, so I had to make the switch from Pre to the Hero...! Although I don't really miss my Pre I miss the community more than my Pre! Webos is really good, just overall the phone build is cheap.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by a1aone View Post
    Yea I got tired of replacing mine, so I had to make the switch from Pre to the Hero...! Although I don't really miss my Pre I miss the community more than my Pre! Webos is really good, just overall the phone build is cheap.
    How did you get Sprint to do it? Or did you pay for it?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
    How did you get Sprint to do it? Or did you pay for it?
    I had an upgrade on another line so I used that to buy my hero...! Now i'm looking too sell my Pre, 2 touchstone chargers, extra battery, leather case (the ribbon slide one) all because of bad build quality of a phone I really liked..
    Quote Originally Posted by a1aone View Post
    I had an upgrade on another line so I used that to buy my hero...! Now i'm looking too sell my Pre, 2 touchstone chargers, extra battery, leather case (the ribbon slide one) all because of bad build quality of a phone I really liked..
    How much for a touch stone?

PM me if you really wanna get rid of a touch stone. I may be willing to work something out with ya!
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    My first two Pres have both died the same - the headphone jack wore out after about 1 and a half months.
    So is this where you get lots of static and cutting in and out if you wiggle the jack to a pair of headphones (or auxilary audio cable) plugged into the headphone jack?

If it is, this is a design defect (stupid curved plug) and you would be better off trying to fix it yourself because it will probably keep happening. I was having this problem and wanted to keep the Pre. I fixed the problem myself with a couple strips of electrical tape where the headphone jack and battery cover meet. I could wiggle the jack a little bit so the electrical tape filled in the gap so the headphone jack can't move. For another solution see this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ck-static.html
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    This is what palm left me with!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm on my 4th and am tired of the monthly phone swap... I retired my phone as an alarm clock, and now use my trusty Pearl for that instead.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I'm on my 4th and am tired of the monthly phone swap... I retired my phone as an alarm clock, and now use my trusty Pearl for that instead.
    Yep, same here. I'm just waiting for Palm to get some REAL fixes out (PIM). I went HERO, but really miss the community here. My wife still has her Pre, and I still have mine hoping it will turn around, but I suspect It wont be until 2Q2010. I'm not a Palm hater, just disappointed in the build quality (went thru 3) and PIM on the Pre really didn't come along like I hoped....but that is just my opinion.
    I'm on the 3rd Pre. I switched to Sprint about two weeks after the Pres launch because my contract was up and I liked what the Pre offered. My first two Pres have both died the same - the headphone jack wore out after about 1 and a half months. I know I'm not the only one with this issue, I've read both this forum and the Palm one.

My issue is, I'm pretty sure that this one will wear out, too. In about two months, I'll have to go back in. That'll be 3 Pres in about 7 months. I really don't want another one. What's my best option to get Sprint to switch me to another phone, and I don't really want to pay because I spent $200 and signed a two-year contract to get two months of use out of the Pre.
    some people have some luck, maybe you should play the lotto, u never know!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    Yep, same here. I'm just waiting for Palm to get some REAL fixes out (PIM). I went HERO, but really miss the community here. My wife still has her Pre, and I still have mine hoping it will turn around, but I suspect It wont be until 2Q2010. I'm not a Palm hater, just disappointed in the build quality (went thru 3) and PIM on the Pre really didn't come along like I hoped....but that is just my opinion.
    I want the Moment, but my current Pre is more solid than the previous ones, so I'll see how it holds up. The shift manager at the Sprint store told me to see how this one works, and if it breaks too, to go to the store manager and plead my case with him. If he decides to let me switch to the Moment, I will, otherwise, I'm glad I'm a Premier customer and can get a new phone next summer.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I want the Moment, but my current Pre is more solid than the previous ones, so I'll see how it holds up. The shift manager at the Sprint store told me to see how this one works, and if it breaks too, to go to the store manager and plead my case with him. If he decides to let me switch to the Moment, I will, otherwise, I'm glad I'm a Premier customer and can get a new phone next summer.
    I tried the moment, speed wise, it's pretty much a wash IMO. (the keyboard on the moment lags really bad) The HERO has a lot more features and the PIM is way better with the sence UI.....again just my opinion. I still am rooting for Palm though because it truly can be a GREAT OS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I tried the moment, speed wise, it's pretty much a wash IMO. (the keyboard on the moment lags really bad) The HERO has a lot more features and the PIM is way better with the sence UI.....again just my opinion. I still am rooting for Palm though because it truly can be a GREAT OS!!
    Speed wise the Moment is lightyears ahead of both the Pre and the Hero. The processor in it is basically the same one in the Hero(architecture wise) but clocked at 800mhz. It's gonna be faster, and having tried both, it is. Keyboard didn't lag at all when I used it, either virtual or actual. FWIW, I thought Sense UI sucked. I was much more comfortable with the stock Android UI.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with Palm about an hour ago, to get my SEVENTH Pre. I'm over it, and I was over it on my 3rd Pre. Ten (10!) friends/colleagues have bought the Pre on my say-so, so now I'm in an odd situation.

I gave the iPhone two years, so I figure I owe the Pre at least half of that, but I'll tell you what- the moment I find a phone that has all the features I want, I'm ditching the Pre. iPhone, Android, I'm looking at you. Gimme an iPhone with 64GB of memory and a tactile keyboard, and I'll **** on the Pre, break it a la Office Space (replete with Ghetto Boys as the sountrack), and send it back to Palm with a horse head.

And yeah- my frustration could've ultimately been avoided had Palm (the first time, or the very least, the second time) said "I'm sorry about that. Let me ship you a phone with the updated build quality". But they didn't, so here we are, thankyouverymuch.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Speed wise the Moment is lightyears ahead of both the Pre and the Hero. The processor in it is basically the same one in the Hero(architecture wise) but clocked at 800mhz. It's gonna be faster, and having tried both, it is. Keyboard didn't lag at all when I used it, either virtual or actual. FWIW, I thought Sense UI sucked. I was much more comfortable with the stock Android UI.
    Maybe the one I tried had issues.....but as I've said, everyone has their own opinions and needs....and all we are really talking about is a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Just got off the phone with Palm about an hour ago, to get my SEVENTH Pre. I'm over it, and I was over it on my 3rd Pre. Ten (10!) friends/colleagues have bought the Pre on my say-so, so now I'm in an odd situation.

I gave the iPhone two years, so I figure I owe the Pre at least half of that, but I'll tell you what- the moment I find a phone that has all the features I want, I'm ditching the Pre. iPhone, Android, I'm looking at you. Gimme an iPhone with 64GB of memory and a tactile keyboard, and I'll **** on the Pre, break it a la Office Space (replete with Ghetto Boys as the sountrack), and send it back to Palm with a horse head.

And yeah- my frustration could've ultimately been avoided had Palm (the first time, or the very least, the second time) said "I'm sorry about that. Let me ship you a phone with the updated build quality". But they didn't, so here we are, thankyouverymuch.
    If Palm has a phone out next year with better quality, and similar or better specs, and likely not a slider, unless it's a landscape slider, I'd stick with WebOS. I really like the OS, I just don't like the hardware it's on anymore. Well I take that back, I love the hardware, the form factor is great, but so many issues, that I am on my 4th phone, you're on your 7th, its just bs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast