1.    #1  
    So Palm has confirmed that the phone is going to Verizon in 2010, that they have over 500 mill in the bank to invest in making Pre and webOS succeed, they are working hopefully on a better ad campaign and App Catalog is coming out of beta next month. I was never really worried about the company, but hopefully this will calm down the more worrisome people on this forum.

So what do you guys think about all this? I think this is awesome.
    I hope for the best with a new ad campaign, but the rest isn't really news at all, I'm afraid.
    The best advertising is fan boys, and ******* require a phone that isn't of shoddy construction. Myself for example, I no longer battle iPhone ******* because I can't in good concious talk up my ghetto hardware. I do talk about the OS a lot, but that just ends up with me saying wait for the next palm device and get webOS then!
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    its all old news. i still dont understand why apple, and even moto/verizon re: droid and the media has it on the front page. palm comes out with superior products and can barely get a mention.

i'm waiting for the next iphone to multitask and for apple to claim they have the first multitasking smart phone, and the media to believe it.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I just hope this new ad campaign works...
    Sprint has better commercials.

I still feel like Sprint could make theirs better. They could show how their unlimited data plan is so cheap compared to other carriers.
    I also think they should have a commercial on their Unlimited Anytime, Anymobile thing.

"Rollover minutes? Who needs your minutes to rollover when you have unlimited mobile to mobile?"

And Palm should really take advantage of their multitasking... by showing it off in an advertisement.
    They could make it more personal and cultural by having someone, in let's say Hawaii, listening to music and doing something crazy... then that app minimizes and it shows another person in, for example, England, opening the calendar to make an event while still listening to music... and then a third person in another environment opening up his contacts while still listening to music and having the calendar open. All three are being active and doing something showing that their phone works with their active lives.

I hope other people see what I'm seeing. That would be not only a diverse commercial, but it would also show the multitasking power and actually make people be intrigued by its capabilities.

People, when they see my phone, are like "what does it do?" When I show them that I can seamlessly switch between applications, they LOVE it. They think it's the coolest thing they've seen. They ask what phone I have, and I say the Palm Pre... of course they haven't heard of it. =/
  6.    #6  
    I think Palm has only had the problems of a shoddy ad campaign, Sprint, and some less then perfect hardware.

I think all of those are hopefully getting resolved and then the will be much better off. Preliminary reports on the Pixi state that it's hardware is of a higher quality then the pre, Verizon is getting the phone, and they are *fingers crossed* going to stop using ghost lady in their commercials.

I remember when Android was only available in the US on tmobile and everyone complained that the hardware was terrible (especially with no headphone jack) and in my opinion at the time I didn't feel that phone was going anywhere. I though Google had completely mishandled the launch and that they phone was doomed to obscurity. Now the Droid is out and everyone is heralding the future endless domination of the now powerhouse android.

Media is fickle. All it really takes is a few bad blows and they'll say you're down and out. All it also takes is ONE hit and you're their new shining star. I think Palm's going to be fine.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    its all old news. i still dont understand why apple, and even moto/verizon re: droid and the media has it on the front page. palm comes out with superior products and can barely get a mention.

i'm waiting for the next iphone to multitask and for apple to claim they have the first multitasking smart phone, and the media to believe it.

Superior according to who? If the Pre sold blockbusters and millions of customers raved about it, it would have earned attention. It has not done that. That is nobody's fault but Palm's.

After it was announced in Jan 2007, the iPhone was ridiculed widely in the press for its $599 price and other features. Palm's CEO laughed it off. Microsoft's CEO laughed it off. The tech press picked it apart because it was missing features like a removable battery and keyboard. iPhone went from that low point to become a smashing success because customers flocked to it by the tens of millions, proving Apple put together a good product.

The iPhone earned its reputation and now basks in the attention and press coverage that comes with that. Palm is free to earn their way by developing a successful device too, it just hasn't happened yet.

FYI, iPhone does multi-task its core apps, and always has. The fact that it doesn't allow third party apps to run in the background clearly isn't hampering success too much. Just like that pesky battery/keyboard....
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I think all the whiny *****es over here still think they know better and we'll see another 100 "Palm needs to do this" topics.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    I think all the whiny *****es over here still think they know better and we'll see another 100 "Palm needs to do this" topics.
    A consumer knows what he/she wants.

When a consumer says "I would like it if Palm did so and so..." then Palm should take note... especially since many people who brought Pre's definitely did not buy their Pre because of their advertisements.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Superior according to who? If the Pre sold blockbusters and millions of customers raved about it, it would have earned attention. It has not done that. That is nobody's fault but Palm's.

After it was announced in Jan 2007, the iPhone was ridiculed widely in the press for its $599 price and other features. Palm's CEO laughed it off. Microsoft's CEO laughed it off. The tech press picked it apart because it was missing features like a removable battery and keyboard. iPhone went from that low point to become a smashing success because customers flocked to it by the tens of millions, proving Apple put together a good product.

The iPhone earned its reputation and now basks in the attention and press coverage that comes with that. Palm is free to earn their way by developing a successful device too, it just hasn't happened yet.

FYI, iPhone does multi-task its core apps, and always has. The fact that it doesn't allow third party apps to run in the background clearly isn't hampering success too much. Just like that pesky battery/keyboard....

The iphone stole the show coz when it came out there was nothing out there like it or snything remotely close to what it did. it was revolutionary. SO people flocked to get it as it was a shinning star in a dustbin. its bigggest assetwas/is that even a novice joe can use it(smart phone). But that does not make it a superior product at least not today. And which core apps does iPHONE multi-task PHONE APP? have used the palm pre and can u still say iphone does multi task on core apps?

And infact Win Mo could do a lot fo stuff that iphone did but the ease of use is what made iphone a superior product. Palm has definetly failed in capatalizing in a superior product by some worst advertising. they better correct it fast.

FYI just my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by ksumanth View Post
    The iphone stole the show coz when it came out there was nothing out there like it or snything remotely close to what it did. it was revolutionary. SO people flocked to get it as it was a shinning star in a dustbin. its bigggest assetwas/is that even a novice joe can use it(smart phone). But that does not make it a superior product at least not today. And which core apps does iPHONE multi-task PHONE APP? have used the palm pre and can u still say iphone does multi task on core apps?

And infact Win Mo could do a lot fo stuff that iphone did but the ease of use is what made iphone a superior product. Palm has definetly failed in capatalizing in a superior product by some worst advertising. they better correct it fast.

FYI just my 2 cents
    this is only partly true

the iphone had two functional things no other mobile device had
    1: great UI on capacitive screen.
    2: great web browsing.

it did some things better than the alternatives, but was not the first
    Primarily that thing was being a Media Player, with a desktop side application.

for functionality, from slingplayer to PIM, Apps to ability (MMS & copy paste for example) it was behind.

these two things, along with the name recognition and familiarity of many non smartphone users with the iPod made it a success.

if you will notice, an inventor of the iPod, and current palm CEO seems to have bet on the same two things with the pre for its initial launch and appeal. plus, instead of world beating multimedia, they have delivered synergy, a first-to market next gen PIM management system. it seems in keeping with the stratagy apple used, as they are known for multimedia players, and palm is known for PIM.

It isn't perfect, but many people, customers and the gadgetpress, seem to think synergy is an important aspect of what makes the pre a strong device.

**It is not the god of PIM like the old PalmOS for those who were polished with datebk and the like, but of course, you can still run PalmOS on it, for a price. I am not trying to argue that it works for you, precentralite, just that it certainly works for many.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    this is only partly true

the iphone had two functional things no other mobile device had
    1: great UI on capacitive screen.
    2: great web browsing.
    3. A great form factor
    4. Signficant ondevice storage
    5. Super easy media sync
    6. The best ondevice media app at the time (the iPod app)
    7. A glass screen and sturdy build quality
    8. An accelerometer

Trust me....they all played a role in its meteoric rise.
    stock up almost 10% today!!! I bought when $4
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post

customers flocked to it by the tens of millions, proving Apple put together a good product.
    Proves nothing except that they have a good marketing department. (and plenty of cash behind them)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Proves nothing except that they have a good marketing department. (and plenty of cash behind them)
    So by what you're saying the Droid should have sold out everywhere because I thought the marketing for that machine was spot on. Cept it didn't. Whenever you talk iPhone you gotta remember that it actually didn't sell that that amazingly at first. Not really till the 3g came out. Sure they sold out everywhere on the day it came out but after that it was easy as pie to find one and many analysts were quickly calling it a failure. Sounds to me IMO kinda like what analysts are saying about Palm. Now granted palm is not in as happy of a place as apple was but the Pixi looks like a winner. Most people don't need the wifi when the have good data. I only need it when I'm at my parent's house for example, and it's only a hundred bucks.
    the iphone is just the ipod momentum carried over to the mobile world.

It became apparent that people didn't have to carry around an mp3 player and a phone. That the two could be combined. Apple grabbed that momentum and rode a wave.

As for the Pre? I think it's doing just fine, no? The phone itself seems solid to me. I love mine. I've had it for almost a week now and have few things to complain about.

It's not a release model so, perhaps, the build quality was up'd for my purchase? I don't have any oreo effect or screen bleeding or dead pixels. Everything is responsive. The battery is a bit of a woe but it can only get better, yar?
    We should also add that webOS has a long way to go to really tap into its full potential. This whole idea of OS as web server has as much potential flexibility as the web itself. As Palm opens up access (securely) to information resident on the phone, I predict we're going to see some really cool stuff. This is really just the beginning.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    We should also add that webOS has a long way to go to really tap into its full potential. This whole idea of OS as web server has as much potential flexibility as the web itself. As Palm opens up access (securely) to information resident on the phone, I predict we're going to see some really cool stuff. This is really just the beginning.
    Yeah... It's great to hear that WebOS "can" support this, and it will just take time and updates to get it through.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    So Palm has confirmed that the phone is going to Verizon in 2010, that they have over 500 mill in the bank to invest in making Pre and webOS succeed, they are working hopefully on a better ad campaign and App Catalog is coming out of beta next month. I was never really worried about the company, but hopefully this will calm down the more worrisome people on this forum.

So what do you guys think about all this? I think this is awesome.
    This isn't anything we didn't know though. We know Palm issued more stock for cash. We sadly knew about the Pixi. We knew they'd be on Verizon in 2010.

Be careful in assuming what Palm product will be on Verizon. The Pre or Pixi wasn't mentioned. I hope for Palm's sake that it is something new and we just don't know about it yet.

I think the Pixi will do best on Sprint. Seems to fit it best. Though it was a poor choice to begin with for a second webOS device.

The ad campaign couldn't get any worse..

How is an app catalog out of beta going to be any different? It's the sdk that is limiting apps, not the actual catalog.