1.    #1  
    I recently upgraded my Classic to get some of the cool new features on 2.0.

I noticed it now includes Palm VNC. I have been using EZ Remote for a while and it works ok, but wanted to see if VNC was any better/different, whatever.

I set it up, and used all the correct information that I use in EZ and tried to connect, and get this error

Any idea what Im doing wrong?

vnc.jpg

Thanks for any help anyone has

Hmmmm do I also need a server app on my PC for Palm VNC to work? I know EZ Remote just uses the XP Pro built in Remote Desktop Service??/
    Last edited by dianehelen; 11/11/2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: adding information
    Mine doesnt work either, It crashs classic when I try to connect. It gives me a webos error and also crashes my server.
  3.    #3  
    Hmm mine works, well it wont connect but it does not crash.

Im thinking I need a server on the PC to support it.. other than native Windows RDP

Anyone??
    Yep....you have to have VNC server installed on the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    Hmm mine works, well it wont connect but it does not crash.

Im thinking I need a server on the PC to support it.. other than native Windows RDP

Anyone??
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I used to use PalmVNC on my 700p and yes, it does need some VNC Server running on your PC. You'll need to setup and open some user-defined ports. If you want, you can also force it to run only through a VPN connection as well.

The PalmVNC page (the client, which I guess is now bundled with Classic?): PalmVNC 2.0

The UltraVNC page (the server recommended by PalmVNC and the one I've used in conjuction with PalmVNC from a 700p): Ultra VNC
    My version of UltraVNC was probably a couple of years old though, so I can't say for sure that the current version will work.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    For PalmVNC to work, the computer that you wish to connect too needs some sort of VNC SERVER software. I did this test at work and used TightVNC which is free. The computer I wish to connect had the server software and I used palmVNC. Worked fine through Wifi Network. I have tried using IP but you need to set router for forward port 5900 to the server computer. (think its 5900).
    But yes, PalmVNC does work
    Old
  7.    #7  
    Will installing the VNC server have any impact or issues running along with native RPD?

and as far as the port, I see teh PalmVNC has the option to change the port, does the server has that option as well? I just prefer to NOT use standard ports if I dont have to. I genearlly use a 4 digit port that I know what it is, and can remember it.. last 4 of phone, or SS, or lic plate.. something I KNOW I can remember...
  8.    #8  
    ok got Ultra VNC, got it installed, and now tis telling me:

VNC Server currently supports protocal RFB 003.006

Palm VNC supports 003.003

Next???
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    When I get to work tomorrow I will do what you did and check,.. Since they are formatting my documentation on the product, got a bit of free time
    Old
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpapa49 View Post
    When I get to work tomorrow I will do what you did and check,.. Since they are formatting my documentation on the product, got a bit of free time
    Old
    Why thank you kind person

I should be around most of the day tomorrow..

post here or, AIM: DianeLuvsGoldns or Yahoo: cybrstardiane, or email dianehelen@gmail.com

pitiful how electronically I am connected 24 hours a day huh hehe
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    I used to use PalmVNC on my 700p and yes, it does need some VNC Server running on your PC. You'll need to setup and open some user-defined ports. If you want, you can also force it to run only through a VPN connection as well.

The PalmVNC page (the client, which I guess is now bundled with Classic?): PalmVNC 2.0

The UltraVNC page (the server recommended by PalmVNC and the one I've used in conjuction with PalmVNC from a 700p): Ultra VNC
    My version of UltraVNC was probably a couple of years old though, so I can't say for sure that the current version will work.
    ok got Ultra VNC, got it installed, and now tis telling me:

VNC Server currently supports protocal RFB 003.006

Palm VNC supports 003.003

Next???
    Yeah, I was afraid of that. Looking at my install, I think I installed the PalmVNC which installed a version of UltraVNC that worked specifically with the PalmVNC client for PalmOS. The latest UltraVNC appears to be too new for that version of PalmVNC, so if you feel like experimenting, you might uninstall the latest UltraVNC and try to install from the PalmVNC package, which should install an older but compatible version of UltraVNC.
  12.    #12  
    and where do I get the PalmVNC Package? Im assuming that is not what comes with the new Classic?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I just tried it at work.
    My server is set to an IP address along with enable port 5900 (TightVNC)
    My Pre connects via a IP address assigned using PalmVNC and port 5900 enabled.
    Its easier and works if ports are not random.
    And need not to assign port forwarding if with-in same net.
    I did port forwarding for my home access..
    infact lets see if i have home running
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    and where do I get the PalmVNC Package? Im assuming that is not what comes with the new Classic?
    The safest bet would be to use the stable build here:
    PalmVNC 2.0

I can vouch for the Ultr@VNC 1.0.0 rc18 server, having used that one for a couple of years with my 700p.
    I've install the free Classic but I'm confused about how to install PalmVNC onto my Pre. Can you guys give me some instructions? I wasn't a Palm user until the Pre..
    Thanks!