Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
1) The Centro was always cheap and is now $29. You're minimizing the $100 to $200 difference in price to make your argument make any sense at all. Most people that bought the Centro bought it because it was a pretty cool phone for pretty cheap. The Pre, even at the current $150, isn't "cheap." Palm made the Centro for cheap and made money by selling a lot of it. That was the plan with that phone. It helped them stay afloat, but they were still taking on water with the Centro.
Again, the Pre is $99 (not a sale) at Amazon and Wirefly. It has sold for less than that as well. In many heartland locations NOW it is $49.

If anything is being minimized, it is the price of this "not cheap" device. The price will only continue to drop. Yet, it still lags the Centro in sales. At this rate, however, it won't lag it in lack of profitability.

2) I don't know that the Android phones have taken the Pre's place as Sprint's flagship product. The Pre is still much more visible in Sprint's commercials. I don't think I've seen any Android phones in Sprint's commercials at all, actually. You wouldn't expect Sprint to say no to money-making opportunities, like Android, no matter how successful the Pre is. AT&T still sells other smartphones, in spite of the Iphone's popularity.
Sprint's current commercials are about Any Mobile and MiFi. I haven't seen an ad for a handset for quite some time. But HTC is handling the advertising of the Hero quite effectively, unlike Palm. But if you wanna believe the Pre is still Sprint's priority, have at it. There's no objective way to conclusively prove otherwise.

3) The app catalog, it seems to me, is more of a means to an end, rather than the end itself. It's something that can help their ultimate goal of relevance, and, I agree, they haven't advantaged themselves fully of the opportunity the app catalog presents.
It's not just relevancy. It's a revenue stream. It's bragging rights. It's not being laughed at the next time Apple does a keynote slide showing the apps on each platform. It's a differentiator. It's what keeps people hooked inside an ecosystem. iPhone users who wants a different experience but are attached to Slacker Radio, Photoshop, Shazam, Layar, Qik, Spotify, Visual Voicemail, Meebo, and several other name brand apps aren't even going to give WebOS the time of day if it can't provide the same apps. They're all on Android.

Palm is still working on video recording.