Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I really dont want to be a downer, but the pre isnt gaining any momentum lately. For a while there were various article on engadget and boygeniusreport about the pre....now there is basically nothing *edit: i missed today's article about the pixi and the 1.3.1 version (*fingers crossed for performance boost*)*. I wonder if the pixi will help with webos's momentum. - I know palm is going to let the app cataloge out of beta sometime in the next few months, but (dont flame me too much on this one ) if webos doesnt gain traction and popularity like android has been, i dont think big name devs are going to spend time making big apps for the phone. However there is the element of how webos has potential once it gets on verizon's network. As long as the droid doesnt overshadow it. Android DOES look interesting. But i webos is such a great way to lay out programs that id honestly have a hard time giving it up.
    Last edited by cnote1287; 11/10/2009 at 11:25 PM.
    well pixi and pre had an engadget article today.

I really think three things will bring palm attention press wise in the next few months
    1 pixi
    2 flash
    3 verizon launch

of those I think verizon will put droid or bb storm (1) like press power into it.

flash will light up the blogs

pixi may well be the smaller splash in mind share, but a surprise seller ala centro long term
    How much momentum does a phone need? I think it's doing just fine with the updates and the new pixi coming out. As long as the develop on the WebOS with fixes and features, it will cause a buzz on it's own without the need of new hardware. So if you're basing your purchase off of hype and buzz, then I don't think this is a really good place for ya. My thoughts too...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    How much momentum does a phone need? I think it's doing just fine with the updates and the new pixi coming out. As long as the develop on the WebOS with fixes and features, it will cause a buzz on it's own without the need of new hardware. So if you're basing your purchase off of hype and buzz, then I don't think this is a really good place for ya. My thoughts too...
    I'm 100% in support of the pre as ive HAD one since the beginning of august. Im just speculating on how everything lately has been android this anddroid that. Perhaps when the next update comes out (hopefully this weekend when pixi is launched ) it will rekindle some of the fire in the news.
  5. CUH
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    THey need to put out the GPU driver already. IF you guys want them to do so, you should send an email to Palm.
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    According to a few analysts that have done channel checks recently, sales of the Pre are very strong in Europe and still solid in the US. And when you get the chance, get over to your nearest Sprint store to check out the Pixi starting this Sunday, and you'll quickly see that the "crossover" BlackBerry devices (ala the Pearl and the Curve) should be very worried.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    According to a few analysts that have done channel checks recently, sales of the Pre are very strong in Europe and still solid in the US. And when you get the chance, get over to your nearest Sprint store to check out the Pixi starting this Sunday, and you'll quickly see that the "crossover" BlackBerry devices (ala the Pearl and the Curve) should be very worried.
    heres hoping.
  8. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    i have several friends that i've been trying to convince to get a pre, one even has sprint already, but no one will bite. Seems like they're all going to android.
  9. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    A emerging platform needs a lot more momentum/hype/buzz than WebOS has right now. On the Palmcast today there was a debate as to whether or not the Pre has sold a million units yet. Dieter was the one who said perhaps not since he would have expected an announcement. Look at what the developers have to consider. The iPhone 3GS sold a million units on the first day. Yes, it was a worldwide release but the App Store sells your apps worldwide automatically. The Droid sold 100K units the first weekend. Not a bad start if you're thinking on making a bet on developing Android software.

WebOS desperately needs some momentum in order to attract interest from developers, capital from investors, interest among carriers, interest among retailers. All of these parties must strongly believe that sales have to be more than just 2 million units per year. Software companies like Dataviz can't just buy a Pre, become a WebOS booster and if things don't work out, pay the ETF and jump ship. They have to bet part of their company on whatever platforms they choose to invest in.
    You can bet money on this statement: Palm will never announce handset specific sales numbers. In a manner similar to their Q1 FY 2010 earnings call, they'll release overall sales figures and hint at specifics, but they'll never give 'em.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    i have several friends that i've been trying to convince to get a pre, one even has sprint already, but no one will bite. Seems like they're all going to android.
    I own a Pre and bought a Hero, I just don't see that much in the Android OS. Sure it has a lot neat little things but I'm still starring at it thinking of what button to hit to launch contacts. With WebOS it just flows, no hard buttons to hit, contacts on WebOS open with less effort. I'll keep the Hero till OS 2. comes out then I'll make a decision.
    If we all recall, Palm always said that they are aiming for the "fat middle". When you think about it, the Droid vs iPhone war is exactly what Palm should want. This fued will garner enough attention to the feature phone / dumb phone masses that their next phone will be some sort of smartphone.

The general perceptions that are being built is that BlackBerries are the buisness-centric device for work; Android are the gearhead tech-centic choice and the iPhone for those very computer litereate. If you are neither of those then you fit into the "fat middle". This fat-middle demographinc is larger than any one of these. As Androind and iPhone feature-creep themselves into one-upmanship, the Pre will stand alone as everyone elses gateway device into this leauge of phone / device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    I own a Pre and bought a Hero, I just don't see that much in the Android OS. Sure it has a lot neat little things but I'm still starring at it thinking of what button to hit to launch contacts. With WebOS it just flows, no hard buttons to hit, contacts on WebOS open with less effort. I'll keep the Hero till OS 2. comes out then I'll make a decision.
    The potential webOS has is going to be far greater improvements than the incremental additions Android will be getting.
    However, Verizon's advertising for Android will overshadow anything Palm can achieve in webOS improvements. Hopefully Verizon will push webOS as well.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/213878-goals.html

My rebuttal. Too long, so new thread.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    First, I think it is a little unfair to say the Pre has lost momentum because of the lack of stories about it lately. Android is the new thing on the block, so of course it is going to garner a lot of attention. Perhaps the Pre is the little engine that could.

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    ...and the iPhone for those very computer litereate.
    I believe you meant to say "illiterate" not "literate" right?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    A emerging platform needs a lot more momentum/hype/buzz than WebOS has right now. On the Palmcast today there was a debate as to whether or not the Pre has sold a million units yet. Dieter was the one who said perhaps not since he would have expected an announcement. Look at what the developers have to consider. The iPhone 3GS sold a million units on the first day. Yes, it was a worldwide release but the App Store sells your apps worldwide automatically. The Droid sold 100K units the first weekend. Not a bad start if you're thinking on making a bet on developing Android software.
    T-Mobile: 1 million Android phones sold | Unfiltered

That's 7 months..
    nice. you should be a politician

you could be right in all those points but it still doesnt mean that palm is not losing momentum as this OPs title suggests.

since jan 2009 the bar has been raised or landscape has changed a little if you want to say and there is fierce competition and not just from iphone.

look at blackberry on your sister site this week where they are going nuts pushing opengl es and showing some amazing apps to show it's not just a biz phone. last week you have droid/eris and before that hero pushing android, etc.

100,000 droids in first weekend... would have been a smaller percentage and would also be less for the other phones mentioned if pre could keep momentum. if they could keep momentum then people would still be headlining "iphone vs. pre with android and BB playing wannabes." you know how the game is played.

again its always seen as a bit out of their control because it's believed they had to release what they had and I believe that. but the problem still exists that they have lost momentum because they are working OT to get the obvious bugs out of the OS in current state, while still being behind in features now that are becoming more "standard" with the release of these new phones, and they are sorely behind in the app store which is very key to any of these phones success.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

I have had a Pre, and also had a Droid, and I can tell you that the Pre and WebOS is way ahead of Android. Android has rough edges everywhere and just lacks so much polish it's not funny. The market is also devoid of virtually anything useful. I see so much more potential in the Pre as long as Palm continues to stick behind WebOS.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    So I really dont want to be a downer, but the pre isnt gaining any momentum lately. For a while there were various article on engadget and boygeniusreport about the pre....now there is basically nothing *edit: i missed today's article about the pixi and the 1.3.1 version (*fingers crossed for performance boost*)*. I wonder if the pixi will help with webos's momentum. - I know palm is going to let the app cataloge out of beta sometime in the next few months, but (dont flame me too much on this one ) if webos doesnt gain traction and popularity like android has been, i dont think big name devs are going to spend time making big apps for the phone. However there is the element of how webos has potential once it gets on verizon's network. As long as the droid doesnt overshadow it. Android DOES look interesting. But i webos is such a great way to lay out programs that id honestly have a hard time giving it up.
    I share some of the same concern. However, looking at how many new devices that are coming out, it is hard for any device to be in the news very long.

Sure everyone compares to iPhone, but have you seen any news about iPhone lately? What about Hero, Storm 2? In the last few days, it is all about Droid, but let's see how long people would be talking about it before the next device comes out.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Also wanted to say to you though i am not saying game over... like watching droid you can see how fast momentum can be built and definitely possible for palm to build momentum with some key upgrades/releases. but i like untidyguys stock graph and think its also can be used a good indicator of palms momentum and just like the stock market, it can spike back up as quick with enough good info

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    If we all recall, Palm always said that they are aiming for the "fat middle". When you think about it, the Droid vs iPhone war is exactly what Palm should want. This fued will garner enough attention to the feature phone / dumb phone masses that their next phone will be some sort of smartphone.

The general perceptions that are being built is that BlackBerries are the buisness-centric device for work; Android are the gearhead tech-centic choice and the iPhone for those very computer litereate. If you are neither of those then you fit into the "fat middle". This fat-middle demographinc is larger than any one of these. As Androind and iPhone feature-creep themselves into one-upmanship, the Pre will stand alone as everyone elses gateway device into this leauge of phone / device.
    If thats the case, then Palm is 'F'N stupid.

How many non english speakers do I get in the store asking for "el blackberry"...a lot! Plus many others who are buying their first smartphone and are first curious about the blackberrys and the "HTC's".

I wish Palm would have done a much better job with the hardware as far as appearance...when I demonstrate the Pre to someone who is not familiar with mobile technology I have to demonstrate the cards, synergy, and universal search before they go "oh wow" ..and even then they say "hmm...I still dont know about that keyboard"

Appearance is huge when it comes to purchasing a new device to many!!! ...many dont even know what operating system their device runs on and very few make their decisions based on OS...thats why Sprint focuses heavily on their ReadyNow experience..which is meant to give buyers basic education on how to work their handset.

and if a person really likes the look of their device...many couldnt care less how complicated the operating system is.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast