Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    How many non english speakers do I get in the store asking for "el blackberry"...a lot!
    WOW that was a racist comment. I think very poorly of what you're implying.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    @ dandbj13...just curios...what device are you using?
    I have owned all three versions of the iPhone and currently use a 16GB 3GS. However, none of my family members use Apple products of any kind. I'm the tech guy in my circle so I do a lot of recommending.

When the Pre came out, I wanted to like it. I absolutely hated the way it was positioned and marketed as an iPhone killer. I thought it was stupid and unnecessary then, as now. The iTunes thing made me go from liking Palm to hating them with a fury. They're just another KIRF company as far as I'm concerned. They should relocate to China or Taiwan.

I am also disappointed with Palm for squandering an opportunity to do something innovative and improve the state of the art. Instead, they got into a turf war with Apple that they never had a chance of winning.

I have been a palm user for some time in the PDA arena. In the Summer of 07", I switched to AT&T and the iPhone... from Sprint. So far, I have seen nothing to make me regret that decision. Nor do I see anything that makes me want to recommend Palm over Android or BB or Apple. My mom just bought a Nokia and my dad is in the market for a new phone. As far as I know, neither of them have heard of the Pre and I am not going to be the one to mention it. Let's see how the Pixie turns out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I have owned all three versions of the iPhone and currently use a 16GB 3GS. However, none of my family members use Apple products of any kind. I'm the tech guy in my circle so I do a lot of recommending.

When the Pre came out, I wanted to like it. I absolutely hated the way it was positioned and marketed as an iPhone killer. I thought it was stupid and unnecessary then, as now. The iTunes thing made me go from liking Palm to hating them with a fury. They're just another KIRF company as far as I'm concerned. They should relocate to China or Taiwan.

I am also disappointed with Palm for squandering an opportunity to do something innovative and improve the state of the art. Instead, they got into a turf war with Apple that they never had a chance of winning.

I have been a palm user for some time in the PDA arena. In the Summer of 07", I switched to AT&T and the iPhone... from Sprint. So far, I have seen nothing to make me regret that decision. Nor do I see anything that makes me want to recommend Palm over Android or BB or Apple. My mom just bought a Nokia and my dad is in the market for a new phone. As far as I know, neither of them have heard of the Pre and I am not going to be the one to mention it. Let's see how the Pixie turns out.
    Oh my...so many things i'd like to argue with there...but I'll let it go....
    Quote Originally Posted by leroove View Post
    WOW that was a racist comment. I think very poorly of what you're implying.
    Im latino...and thats a statement I hear all the time so get over it!!!
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    This is an unworthy dismissal of the competition. The iPhone is not more expensive than other smartphones. In fact, the iPhone set the price expectation of smartphones. Other companies now have to try to beat $199.

That's just spin. Apple has more than held serve or manage small gains. Apple is breaking records and defining the market.

You have an interesting mind. In no objective measure has Palm performed as well, let alone, better than Apple. This is the kind of blind optimism, spin, and marketing double speak that keeps real progress from being made. Any body rooting for Palm had better hope that they are not drinking this brand of Koolaid.
    People please, don't feed the trolls. Danbj13 in no way is a Pre owner or by the sounds of things plans on being one. I don't know what he's trying to get out of this but you're only feeding into whatever he wants by arguing with him.

Danbj13 if you don't like the Pre, or you have a beef with palm, that's cool, but there is no need to hate on our phones so much. We like our phones, they're nice. If your iPhone makes you happy, then more power to ya. I like my pre, and actually with the exception of the creepy lady advertising my phone I like the direction palm is taking with the device. I think the next two months are going to be very good for palm. Obviously you don't agree with me. Around February we will know which one of us is right. From how passionate you are about all this, I actually think you want to be wrong but hey, I don't know you so I really have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    People please, don't feed the trolls. Danbj13 in no way is a Pre owner or by the sounds of things plans on being one. I don't know what he's trying to get out of this but you're only feeding into whatever he wants by arguing with him.

Danbj13 if you don't like the Pre, or you have a beef with palm, that's cool, but there is no need to hate on our phones so much. We like our phones, they're nice. If your iPhone makes you happy, then more power to ya. I like my pre, and actually with the exception of the creepy lady advertising my phone I like the direction palm is taking with the device. I think the next two months are going to be very good for palm. Obviously you don't agree with me. Around February we will know which one of us is right. From how passionate you are about all this, I actually think you want to be wrong but hey, I don't know you so I really have no idea.
    No need to feel threatened by me. When it comes to religious wars, I'm agnostic. As I have stated in other posts, I have been a Palm customer as well as a Sprint customer. Once upon a time, I liked Palm very much. It hurts to see what they have become. Obviously, I do not like the direction they have taken with the Pre. Still, I have, or at least, have had enough skin in the game to have an opinion and the right to voice it on this board. There are plenty of good things about the Pre. The problem is that Palm, and many of the users on this board do not focus on them. Telling yourselves stories about how the iPhone is just a marketing fluke and how the Pre is doing so much better is just sad. When it is time to bash Apple, believe me, other boards get the sharp edge of my tongue, uh, finger? Anyway, you can see that I do not jump into most of the threads around here, hijacking help threads and that sort of trollish behavior. I did not start this topic, nor any of the others that bemoan the current state of affairs. The only topic I started around here was to ask if anyone knew the exact sales figures for the Pre. After getting a few answers, I did not press the issue further. If I am a troll, I am a higher caliber troll than you will find on most boards.

As for not owning the Pre, that is irrelevant. I use Windows as well as Mac and am well versed in most consumer electronics. I am the person that fixes other people's tech problems, including their Pre if applicable. I am the one who recommends their next phone or computer. I consider it a point of pride to keep up with everything. Obviously, I do not own everything. I don't love most technology out there but I don't really hate any of it either. It is a matter of getting to know it and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each item. Some things are right for some people and not for others. I have no problem recommending a Winmo phone to some and BB to other and iPhones to still others. I do not mindlessly bash the Pre, though I do challenge general FUD and misinformation. I am glad you enjoy your Pre and would never try to steal your joy. But don't try to stop me from commenting in a general discussion just because my points do not place Palm in a positive light. This is a discussion board. Engage me by making a better argument based on the available facts, not by attacking me personally. I have never stooped to that here or anywhere else I post.
    dandbj13,

If you have never owned this phone then your criticisms are worthless. I don't care if you are the tech genius of the world. You do mindlessy bash since you have no real experience with phone. Its ok though. I've wasted time in my life being ignorant of what I was talking about too.
    I went to a Sprint Corp store to pick up my daughters refurb, Rumor 2 (I know, yuk, right?). Anyway, the last month or more I've had the sinking feeling the Pre momentum was fading, BUT WOW! To my shock, I must have seen at least 7 Pre's being purchased at the store! I asked the guy who was helping us about the Pre sales (he didn't have one and doesn't like them...owns a BlackBerry smart-pager) and he said it's their best selling device...in that store.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    dandbj13,

If you have never owned this phone then your criticisms are worthless. I don't care if you are the tech genius of the world. You do mindlessy bash since you have no real experience with phone. Its ok though. I've wasted time in my life being ignorant of what I was talking about too.
    I have also never taken illegal drugs but I can criticize them with ease. Perhaps you should go back and read all my posts before accusing me of mindlessly bashing. You call me ignorant? Which assertions have I made do you dispute? Where is the bashing? What criticism have I made that would require owning the device? How dare you attack me like this!
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    I went to a Sprint Corp store to pick up my daughters refurb, Rumor 2 (I know, yuk, right?). Anyway, the last month or more I've had the sinking feeling the Pre momentum was fading, BUT WOW! To my shock, I must have seen at least 7 Pre's being purchased at the store! I asked the guy who was helping us about the Pre sales (he didn't have one and doesn't like them...owns a BlackBerry smart-pager) and he said it's their best selling device...in that store.
    Pre is sprints best selling smart phone. Its no iphone but it is selling well. To all the haters just know that a company without a future is not palm. They have 500 million in the bank. If that's failing sign me up.
    No one doubts that the Pre is the best selling smart phone for Sprint. That is a great sound bite. Keep in mind, though, we are talking about Sprint. They were just as far down the crapper as Palm. The real question is did they get the kind of boost they needed or expected? I do not know the answer to that. I have been hearing through the blogousphere that Sprint was not happy with sales of the Pre or that it has not met their expectations. No one knows for sure as it seems Palm does not release sales figures and Sprint does not want to talk about them either. We can only assume that things are going well but no one really knows. I find that sort of secrecy annoying and suspicious from a publicly traded company.
    No one doubts that the Pre is the best selling smart phone for Sprint. That is a great sound bite. Keep in mind, though, we are talking about Sprint. They were just as far down the crapper as Palm. The real question is did they get the kind of boost they needed or expected? I do not know the answer to that. I have been hearing through the blogousphere that Sprint was not happy with sales of the Pre or that it has not met their expectations. No one knows for sure as it seems Palm does not release sales figures and Sprint does not want to talk about them either. We can only assume that things are going well but no one really knows. I find that sort of secrecy annoying and suspicious from a publicly traded company.
    Ugh why am I feeding you troll. They aren't posting sales figures because even though the phone is selling well it's not selling iPhone well. If they release figures all people are gonna say is "well this phone is supposed to be an iPhone killer yet the iPhone sold 1 million units in the span that the pre sold 50,000. Obviously the machine is a total failure" then the stock tanks and the company goes to hell in a handbasket.

Btw for someone that is being 'objective' you are very very quick to attack any positive message that gets written here and any negative criticisms of your own self. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    Ugh why am I feeding you troll. They aren't posting sales figures because even though the phone is selling well it's not selling iPhone well. If they release figures all people are gonna say is "well this phone is supposed to be an iPhone killer yet the iPhone sold 1 million units in the span that the pre sold 50,000. Obviously the machine is a total failure" then the stock tanks and the company goes to hell in a handbasket.

Btw for someone that is being 'objective' you are very very quick to attack any positive message that gets written here and any negative criticisms of your own self. Just saying.
    Friend, I have about had my fill of you. this is a discussion, not a pep rally. If you want unending praise and gushing over the Pre, there are threads for that. You will find that I am not in them trying to hijack them or steal someone's joy over their purchase. This is not that type of thread. If that bothers you, go away. I made a point in keeping with the subject. I disagree that announcing sales figures are a bad thing. Everyone else does it, especially the company Palm is publicly challenging. At this point, no one expects iPhone numbers. But the silence is telling its own story. The truth can't be worse than what people are starting to speculate. It becomes even more obvious as Palm is the only company not releasing its figures. Some have said that Palm never releases figures. That is not true. They did it for the Pre shortly after launch when they thought the numbers looked pretty good. That makes the silence since then that much louder. That is a legitimate observation, not a troll. It fits with the subject of the Pre loosing momentum.

Your personal attacks are just getting more shrill and defensive. I will not leave a good discussion for the likes of you. Get over your apparent insecurity and stop trying to derail and hijack this thread with personal attacks.
    please people, remember the consequences of your actions

lol I love that picture.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    A few thoughts:

Palm is nowhere near the "fat middle." The problem with the Pre's momentum is that the iPhone sucks the air out of the room every time. Palm tied their destiny to the iPhone by openly taking it on and copying many of its popular features and hacking iTunes. Palm tried to build a better iPhone with a keyboard. They will forever be compared to the iPhone. Their fault. What has Apple done lately? The introduced the 3GS and the $99 3G. They recently announced another world beating quarter that defied the recession. They are knocking at the door to become the number one smartphone. They should overtake BB next year. Their "closed" app development has just produced the one hundred thousandth app. That's what's happening to the Pre's momentum.

Two years ago, there was no consumer smartphone market. The greatest thing Apple did was to introduce the consumer to the smartphone. Everyone laughed at the prospect. Now, everyone, including Palm, is trying to get a piece of the newly created consumer smartphone market. Apple will always be in the conversation because it created the market. Everyone else is responding, not leading. If palm wants to regain momentum, they have to deliver something many times better than the iPhone. They originally gained momentum by making those types of claims. They lost the momentum because they could not live up to them. The same has been true for every would be iPhone killer. Now, it seems, all Palm can do to get some attention is to throw rocks at iTunes: a poor strategy for glass house dwellers.
    No disagreement regarding the iphone being the dominant smartphone, but no way is Palm losing momentum.

Palm started from scratch with WebOS and has exceeded sales expectations. Were they blow out numbers like the iphone? far from it (what device has?)
    Palm's focus is not trying to compare to the iphone (unlike the droid) but rather carve out it's niche in the massive smartphone market.
    WebOS is not a 1 trick pony and will have have numerous handsets and numerous carriers in 2010.
    Palm will only increase market share and they have built up a substantial war chest to hold them over (half a billion in cash). Palm's app store is growing by leaps and bounds and working on a "open" distribution model that will soon be released.
    The overall outlook for Palm/WebOs is excellent.
    Why did you do that? Don't feed the trolls. Just let it go. You have your opinion, he (or she, I have no idea) has his. Nothing either of you say will change the minds of either person and you'll just argue till infinity.
    <<closed>>

I'd like to remind ones to review our Forum Guidelines

Thanks,
    -Berd
    Just call me Berd.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123