1.    #1  
    In playing around with the plethora of good stuff here I thought I had bricked my new Pre after the 1.2.1 update, MyTether, Facebook, and various Homebrew Apps when I noticed that my screen was locked. Dang.

Hmmm, funny when I plug it in to my Mac to charge it works fine! But as soon as the plug comes away from the usb port the screen is locked out, though the keypad and the rest of the phone still works normally. So I start reading . . . and I read some more . . . I doctor, install, wipe, reset and reboot a dozen times. Still functions, but no screen control unless the usb is plugged in.

Then I discover that the other end of the usb cable doesn't even have to be plugged into my Mac for it to unlock the screen--just the micro usb end on the Pre!

Hmmm, again. Not a software/linking related problem then--more like a hardware problem methinks. Mind you this phone is less than two weeks old and bought from a busy B+M shop so it's fresh. So I play with the jack and the micro usb cable end to find out just exactly where the point is where the screen unlocks . . . and after a few minutes of going back and forth . . . it fixes itself.

Don't know what I did, but it's working fine again (though I've lost all my cool hacks) . . . and I also don't know if it'll do it again--especially if I re-install the patches and tweaks.

I couldn't find problems like this on a search. Anyone ever heard of something similar?

Thanks again to all the awesome folks here for allowing me to finally replace my Treo and keep tethering!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problem with the malfunctioning touch screen. No answers yet.
    There is probably a physical problem with the phone, it's defective and I would suggest you take it back to you're carrier.

Most likely there is something not making a connection and when you plug in the cable pressure is applied allowing the connection to be made.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Sorry to break it to you all, this is a well-known issue known as "frozen touchscreen". If you are still able to unfreeze the screen by plugging in the USB cable, make sure you've copied all of your photos and files and do a complete cloud backup, as you'll be losing touchscreen function completely sometime soon. From most reports, it seems as though Sprint/Palm is being good about exchanging the defective units for refurbs. If you're thinking of ditching the Pre altogether and want to save your current contact list, you'll have to use a 3rd party app to do so, as you won't be able to pull it from the cloud once your Pre is gone. (restoring to a replacement Pre from the cloud backup via Palm Profile is a snap though) Good luck!