Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Firstly, let me say that I am not a complainer but am curious, when people say 'be patient', how long do they mean?

Is there ever going to be a point when people will stop telling each other to be patient for updates, etc.?

Will we continue telling others to be patient, lets say, a year or 18 months from now?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    Firstly, let me say that I am not a complainer but am curious, when people say 'be patient', how long do they mean?
    Until whatever you're waiting for happens.
    Well, 'be patient' is usually means 'be lucky your not stuck with a phone which doesn't ever get an update, at least you might get this sometime before you switch phones'.

It's just a matter of resources being dedicated to the updates, my guess is alot was going into the pixie, and even more into flash for webOS, there's also the SDK to improve, and all the fixes everyone keeps claiming is a deal breaker, the administration for all these updates, testing...

So as soon as more resources become available more improvements people are 'demanding' will show. But it's not as easy as throwing more people at the system, when you add a resource to a programming team you're essentially hindering the entire team for an extended amount of time, training, mistakes, communication.

I'm just amazed there have been as many updates as there are, and everyone should really realize that the phone is exceptionally functional and that their greed can never really be sated
    I think patience can be put in perspective to how soon should we expect updates.

What do you think is reasonable?

I think Palm has been very quick with their updates.
    Especially when I weigh it with what I have see with other SW/OS.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well, 'be patient' is usually means 'be lucky your not stuck with a phone which doesn't ever get an update, at least you might get this sometime before you switch phones'.

It's just a matter of resources being dedicated to the updates, my guess is alot was going into the pixie, and even more into flash for webOS, there's also the SDK to improve, and all the fixes everyone keeps claiming is a deal breaker, the administration for all these updates, testing...

So as soon as more resources become available more improvements people are 'demanding' will show. But it's not as easy as throwing more people at the system, when you add a resource to a programming team you're essentially hindering the entire team for an extended amount of time, training, mistakes, communication.

I'm just amazed there have been as many updates as there are, and everyone should really realize that the phone is exceptionally functional and that their greed can never really be sated
    Well I understand that, but at what point (time) will even the people defending Palm agree that certain things needed to happen? A year after release? Or?
    Well I understand that, but at what point (time) will even the people defending Palm agree that certain things needed to happen? A year after release? Or?
    Now your tone is as if they've been unreasonable.

With all the HW/SW I've had in years gone by, I say Palm is doing an amazing Job.

As far as long as your willing to wait may be way less than others.
    Just call me Berd.
    What specifically are looking to have happen?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Now your tone is as if they've been unreasonable.

With all the HW/SW I've had in years, I say Palm is doing an amazing Job.

As far as long as your willing to wait may be way less than others.
    Sorry if you got that impression but basically I just was wondering when will the patient people become impatient?

I'm not one to be constantly updating my phone to see if an update is coming, I personally have bigger fish to fry IRL, but was just wondering how long people are giving Palm
    i dont put a time limit on things i love and yeah i love this phone ,it rocks!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Long answer:
    Well I don't think Palm would be slow enough to universally disappoint, a year of no development would probably anger our community, but plenty of others could care less and still love their phone.

Palm chooses priority on issues though, just as you and I would choose differently. I would really like to see the SDK advance quicker, but could care less about video, the calendar, and the app limit.

Asking a question like how long is the max amount of time is just asking for debate, there is no max for a large portion of people, and there is only minutes for others to decide they're leaving.

I like a more open SDK/OS so that Palm doesn't have to spend time sifting through every complaint, if someone dislikes something enough they'll just write something to fix the problem. Similar to how the current design allows our community to come up with ingenious patches.

Short Answer:
    Never, Now, Then, Forever, Always.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    What specifically are looking to have happen?
    I'm personally not asking for anything to happen. just wondering when the people who say "be patient" will start joining in with the the impatient.
    I'm not patient at all, so when I was thinking about buying the Pre I had to think whether it did everything I absolutely needed it to do and could I live with it if it took months to get to my wants instead of needs. My answer was yes, it does what I absolutely need and I can wait until they get around to the other stuff.

If it's not doing what you need or you're tired of waiting there's nothing wrong with moving on.

For me the Pre is great. I can't imagine not having gestures or pinch zoom. I've quickly come to depend on it.
    For me;
    I didn't expect it to be perfect, and so I haven't gotten one yet.

I'm deep in these forums. I see all the complaints. I see all the Praises.
    And my temptation to join the fun grows day by day.
    So I guess you could say I have great patience.

Correction;
    If I had Patients, I'd be a Doctor.
    Just call me Berd.

Is there ever going to be a point when people will stop telling each other to be patient for updates, etc.?

Will we continue telling others to be patient, lets say, a year or 18 months from now?

That is really up to you. I say 6 months , some else says 12 months. Another person may say 18 months. All that counts is your opinion. It is your phone and patience. If not for the "at home developers" I would have moved on already.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i've seen about as many webos updates in 5 months as in the prior 4 years of treo ownership. patient = wait 6-8 weeks. given what we've seen today w/ pixi, the prior rumors and official palm releases, an update should come soon, prolly another in Q1 '10....
  16.    #16  
    its easy for me to be patient because the pre is simply the best out there...'flaws' included
    Global Posts
    2,473 Global Posts
    There is no such thing as being patient when we talk about forwarding a text message. We shouldnt have to be patient for a basic phone feature...that is something that should be included.

Miss me with the "Buy a different phone"...obviously I bought this phone because it has features that I like...but basic functions such as text forwarding, which should be standard, need to be included.
    patient is being able to wait until Nov. 15....Pixi will be released with 1.3 and pre people should get it also...thats 5 days people...I think we can hold out till then and see what type of update palm has in store for us...

no need to complain until after 1.3 because were not getting anything until then anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i've seen about as many webos updates in 5 months as in the prior 4 years of treo ownership.
    I don't see the relevance of that. Is that supposed to be a good thing? WebOS is a brand new OS which some could argue was released too early and is currently playing catch up. There's a reason it's had so many updates, Palm had one foot in the grave so it had to release a half baked phone in the hopes of surviving.

Your Treo, whether it be Palm OS or WinMo, had more time to get established so obviously they wouldn't need frequent updates.

WebOS has great potential, I just hope people realize it before it's too late. Palm's advertising of WebOS has been ****-poor and they need more WebOS phones otherwise a year from now it will be nothing more than a memory.

Having said all that, I love WebOS and the Pre. I've had a Centro a Treo 800w and while I liked them both, I see WebOS blowing them both out of the water. The Homebrew community with all the homebrew apps and patches have really just scratched the surface of the capabilities of WebOS. If it wasn't for them, I would have moved on already. All those developers should get some type of royalties from Palm.
    Last edited by Trekker; 11/10/2009 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    There is no such thing as being patient when we talk about forwarding a text message. We shouldnt have to be patient for a basic phone feature...that is something that should be included.

Miss me with the "Buy a different phone"...obviously I bought this phone because it has features that I like...but basic functions such as text forwarding, which should be standard, need to be included.
    i can understand people who dont know about precentral.com complaining about no fowarding of txts...but if you made it to this forum then there is no excuse...

just get preware to foward texts!!!...the instructions and everything you need are right on here staring you in the face!

I didnt wanna "hack" my pre at first but I really wanted text fowarding...so what did i do? did I sit down and write a complaining post on precentral???...heck no I went to precentral and followed some easy instructions to get this feature on my phone!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast