Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    There is no such thing as being patient when we talk about forwarding a text message. We shouldnt have to be patient for a basic phone feature...that is something that should be included.

Miss me with the "Buy a different phone"...obviously I bought this phone because it has features that I like...but basic functions such as text forwarding, which should be standard, need to be included.
    I have never forwarded a text. I've never needed to. Explain to me, in my context, why this is something that "should" be included as a "basic phone feature"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Your Treo, whether it be Palm OS or WinMo, had more time to get established so obviously they wouldn't need frequent updates.
    I disagree. Whether or not an OS is "established" should have nothing to do with whether or not it's updated. Updates should be to fix problems, and add features. Both should come as needed. The need for the first should be "is it broke?". The need for the second is "is the market demand worth the added expense?"

PalmOS and WinMo both failed miserably in both areas.
    There is no real answer to this question, each person has to answer for themselves, based on their needs, expectations, desires, and fulfillment availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    There is no such thing as being patient when we talk about forwarding a text message. We shouldnt have to be patient for a basic phone feature...that is something that should be included.
    Don't include me in your "we" -- I'm not waiting at all for text forwarding. As alex.dobeck said, different pre owners have different priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have never forwarded a text. I've never needed to. Explain to me, in my context, why this is something that "should" be included as a "basic phone feature"...
    I never understood that either. I guess I'm not a frequent texter, I use it to send a few quick messages. I certainly don't do chain letter type text message forwarding.
    I disagree. Whether or not an OS is "established" should have nothing to do with whether or not it's updated. Updates should be to fix problems, and add features.
    Exactly the point. That's why WebOS has had frequent updates, because it's had problems to fix and features to add.

I thought Palm OS was great on my Centro. There were hundreds of 3rd party apps that were available to download to take care of ANY needs imaginable. Sure, it was getting dated, hence the reason for WebOS.

PalmOS and WinMo both failed miserably in both areas.
    I'll have to disagree with you there. While I like PalmOS better than WinMo, I appreciated the multitasking of Winmo and again, it had hundreds of 3rd party apps available for just about anything you wanted to do.

WebOS has had frequent updates just to get the phone to a basic level of people's expectations. Do you actually think these frequent updates are going to continue at the current rate? At some point, it's going to level off and the updates will be few and far between, just like PalmOS and WinMo.
    I use fowarding texts in my capacity as a club dj....club promoters use texts to promote their events locations and times....as a courtesy to my promoter friends I foward these texts to my fans who appreciate knowing about these events...

When I dj a club or party these same promoters help me out by fowarding my texts to their people...
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I use fowarding texts in my capacity as a club dj....club promoters use texts to promote their events locations and times....as a courtesy to my promoter friends I foward these texts to my fans who appreciate knowing about these events...

When I dj a club or party these same promoters help me out by fowarding my texts to their people...
    Did you guys ever hear of email?
    I'll have to disagree with you there. While I like PalmOS better than WinMo, I appreciated the multitasking of Winmo and again, it had hundreds of 3rd party apps available for just about anything you wanted to do.
    Oh, I don't disagree about that on either; however, I feel that both were extremely buggy, and both companies were very slow to update.

To be fair, the update process was much more involved for both than it is for the Pre. But, I don't feel either company updated the OS's feature-wise frequently enough, and both were even worse at fixing bugs.

WebOS has had frequent updates just to get the phone to a basic level of people's expectations. Do you actually think these frequent updates are going to continue at the current rate? At some point, it's going to level off and the updates will be few and far between, just like PalmOS and WinMo.
    I don't think they will "at the current rate", but I suspect we'll see updates every 4-6 months for a while, possibly sooner.

The system is just too easy to update, and too flexible not to.

Actually, if what I've seen happen in the Linux world is any indication, the OS could be updated almost indefinitely, all the way to the kernal level. This may very well be the first smartphone that is easy enough to update OTA, that the OS will "outlast" the hardware.
    @ berdinkerdickle

Largest understatement ever written in this forum, and I've been patient enough to read through most of it...

"I'm deep in these forums."

Actually, if what I've seen happen in the Linux world is any indication, the OS could be updated almost indefinitely, all the way to the kernal level. This may very well be the first smartphone that is easy enough to update OTA, that the OS will "outlast" the hardware.
    Yeah, linux rocks! I recently discovered "Ubuntu" and have my PC set up to dual boot. It's amazing all the incredible software available and FREE! Lots of great people devoting their time to this. While it takes a little effort to learn a few things like using terminal commands, etc, it's well worth it in my opinion.
    Actually the Centro was really good, it surprised me, and I even defended it on these forums. It almost never crashed. I didn't expect much from VersaMail but it did what it was said to do without errors.

One could say though the updates to Palm OS were few because the OS was on its last legs and had so much cruft it was very difficult to change and fix things without breaking something.

Palm stated that webOS will be a platform for them to innovate on for the next 10 years. Certainly webOS is built in a very flexible way (the upshot of decoupling development from direct hardware access). So then, what is Palm going to innovate in?

A lot here seem to discount PIM in favor of games and multimedia. But it's hard to imagine what is there to innovate about if not making the phone more efficient and intuitive, or in other words, innovate in PIM.
    Patience is not having to post questions like "When the hell are they going to get flash, video, text forwarding, blah, blah, blah?"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12