Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey, even I get tired of complaints and criticism, so I'd like to try a different approach.

Palm and/or Sprint obviously needs to market the device better, and the market they launched in now is a completely different one than June of this year.

So I thought...let's distill what makes this device work against the competition. I'm not saying we should write actual commercial copy. More like give bullet points about features of the Pre that stand out in comparison to Android 2.0, iPhone 3GS, and Windows Mobile 6.5.

In your own words. Not just what you like about it, but what you like that is UNIQUE to this device.

NOTE TO THE MODS: I don't really want to directly compare against these other devices, just like Palm wouldn't mention them in a commercial. So pretty pretty please let this thread stay in the main forum?

I'll start:

GESTURES - Everyone gets wowed by swiping to another screen or scrolling up and down a list. But what about swiping to another PROGRAM or swiping your current program away and closing it altogether? Only on the Palm Pre.

Something along those lines. Have fun with it.
    Some of the things that grabbed my attention early on was the Cards.
    I thought it was neat that the Cards represented what was running in the background - a always on visual Task Manager for easy toggle between apps.

I saw the demonstration of these features in video's posted here at Pre|C.

I see those apple commercials where you see the screen and a finger maneuvering things around.

I think that's what palm needs to do more of.
    Try to Wow people with what they actually should be Wow'd with - Visuals of WebOS features and Synergy.
    Just call me Berd.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Ridiculously simple browsing experience.
    • Slide the keyboard , type the website, hit the enter button.

It takes four steps in any other phone.
    unlocking, opening browser, typing the URL, hitting Enter
    Last edited by gbp; 11/10/2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Hey, even I get tired of complaints and criticism, so I'd like to try a different approach...........
    mikah. Mikah. MIIIIKKKKKAAAAAAAHHHHHH !!!
    Please tell me this is just temporary. Please Mikah, please!!
    Today, I was walking in the park after lunch. I saw a juggler; she was very good. And the weird thing was, the more balls she had up in the air, the easier she made it look. It was a feeling I knew... like deja vu.

or...

You ever have one of those days where everything just... seems to work? Like when you're driving and all the red lights ahead of you are turning green? Like, bing bing bing? Like you're not even trying. Just going with the flow.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    juggeler ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Guy/Girl in vehicle driving with docked Pre streaming music from Pandora while Navigating with Sprint Nav(even though its unreliable as hell). Person parks car, phone rings, person picks up, closes the two other cards effortlessly, gets a text while on call and effortlessly swipe it away. person puts pre in pocket easily because it isn't a brick (Droid, Iphone, TP2).

Why not this Palm?!?!, i love the Pre girl and all but she has been proven very ineffective.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Guy/Girl in vehicle driving with docked Pre streaming music from Pandora while Navigating with Sprint Nav(even though its unreliable as hell). Person parks car, phone rings, person picks up, closes the two other cards effortlessly, gets a text while on call and effortlessly swipe it away. person puts pre in pocket easily because it isn't a brick (Droid, Iphone, TP2).

Why not this Palm?!?!, i love the Pre girl and all but she has been proven very ineffective.
    How about two of MaxLOL's anteaters driving in the car instead. THAT should get attention.
    Just thinking you do a parody. For Apple, find someone a bit young and nerdy to be the "i'm a mac" guy. For android, a group of different looking cheesy robots that can only utter "i don't" with stickers on them saying Droid, Hero, 1.5, 1.6, cupcake, donut, etc.

Rip on em both.. It's obvious with the iphone and been talked about to death. For android, rip on how confusing that mess (of different UI's) is, fragmentation, ...don't need to resort to using cheap gimmicks like robots, etc.

And a more serious batch showing the screen, browser, multitasking, apps..
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/10/2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just thinking you do a parody. For Apple, find someone a bit young and nerdy to be the "i'm a mac" guy. For android, a group of different looking cheesy robots that can only utter "i don't" with stickers on them saying Droid, Hero, 1.5, 1.6, cupcake, donut, etc.
    I like that one. ^
    I'm not sure Palm can pull off the Mac vs MS commercials.

Many have grown to expect the reality of the spoofs they have the MS guy do.
    My favorite was the Freeze up - where the MS guy just freezes midway with whatever he was saying.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    we should do one like the iphone.....where all you see is the phone and a hand controlling it...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Guy/Girl in vehicle driving with docked Pre streaming music from Pandora while Navigating with Sprint Nav
    When I thought about how I'd do a Pre commercial the other day, this is EXACTLY how I'd start it out.

Uh, not only is that a great commercial, but I totally do that ALL THE TIME. Absolutely can't do it on any other phone.

Even better (and I've done this) NFL app in one card with the game scores, NFL audio of a game playing on another card in the background, Sprint Navigation running in the background interrupting to give turn-by-turn directions, and all of the audio playing over the car stereo via bluetooth. And text message and email alerts coming in the whole time. With the Pre mounted and charging on a Touchstone car kit (that they need to introduce).
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    what if precentral sponsored this? they were able to provide 5 pres for the webos dev camp earlier in the year, seems like they could find at least 1 pre for this.
    I like the car ad. But that touchstone can't be used (in the ad) and you have to be careful not to draw complaints. Some flip out just from seeing someone touching a phone in the car while driving much less trying to sell the benefits of multitasking while driving.

Since Palm doesn't offer a car solution beyond a car charger, this also gets in the way.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    we should do one like the iphone.....where all you see is the phone and a hand controlling it...
    I think Bell already did a Pre ad along those lines, but this reminds me of something that consistently frustrates me about Palm's US advertising: You can see the phone, but almost never see the screen.

I mean, you see it as the girl taps on it, but they never zoom in enough for you to really see what she's tapping or linger on a screen so you get an idea of how modern and sleek WebOS is. That macro view in all of the commercials does the device no favors.

Also, I'm amazed that they don't simulate the images better because I actually see choppy animation during a few of the spots.

In fact, is probably a great starting point for rebooting the US ad campaign for the Pre. Just lose the Apple-esque music.
    agreed, I gave palm the benefit of the doubt when the pre first came out. I waited for better ads that never came. Epic failure in my opinion. Huge missed opp
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Perhaps they are a little boring, but as far as showing off the capabilities of the phone, I'd like to see something akin to the videos Palm has on their Pre site called This Weekend and Good Morning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast