Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I also think you should get your wife a pixi instead, it will be a little more sturdy since it does not have the slider mechanism.
    Insurance is a good suggestion. If you don't put the Pre inside a protective case of some sort, I'd get a Touchstone back. It has some grippy stuff which is much less slick than the slicker-than-snot surface of the Pre as it comes from Palm. Of course, she may want a Touchstone charger anyway. If she doesn't want the charger, I believe the back is available separately.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

wow a wrist strap ;-) thats bad, Insurance is your friend. other than that a nice hard case and a clear cover may help a bunch.
  4. kpn
    Interesting to read how many people have dropped their phones. I know accidents happen but wow. My phone sits in the slip cover it came with in my pocket anytime I am not using it and it isn't being charged (when it sleeps half way in that cover). Dont get me wrong, I have dropped a cell phone or two (once in a toilet when flushing and it was in my shirt pocket - hair dryer solved that) but I enjoy my Pre so much I go out of my way to protect my investment.

To answer this post, listen to the people above since they have dropped their devices and it lived another day...it may seem fragile in your hand but its actually pretty solid if you dont twist it. DONT TWIST IT.
    Odds are the drops are most likely to happen when on the phone and being active (opening doors, putting on gloves/coats, picking up stuff, etc).

If the slider's closed the phone is much stiffer, there is a larger area to spread out the impact if it hits on the side, and torsion is minimized.

There's no advantage to keeping the slider open on a call because the mic is on the screen. Give her one of the many dialer shortcut programs (photodialer, launchpad, quickdialer) and point out the "recent calls" button and 90% of the time she won't need to type anything to make a call.

Get a screen protector and some form of attached cover. It doesn't have to be indestructible. Matter of fact, it may be better if it is a frangible case so that the act of the case breaking absorbs energy. Think crumple zones on a car.

I like the back from the Seido Extended battery. It is grippy, adds thickness, makes the keyboard feel stiffer, and gives a nice amount of protection to the camera lens.

The other thing the big battery does is change the balance of the phone. The new battery makes the Pre back-heavy, making it more likely it will land on the Seido back rather than the glass. Replacing that back is far cheaper than hitting insurance to cover the screen. Even if it shatters into pieces, when I get home I can swap back to the standard back & battery and be functional.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrunkie View Post
    I also think you should get your wife a pixi instead, it will be a little more sturdy since it does not have the slider mechanism.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Wait for the Pixi. No moving parts. Just a suggestion.
    I think this is probably the best route for my Wife. Hah...
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmageddonX View Post
    just remind ur wife the pixie has no wifi and has a 2 mp camera...not sure if she cares but just to make sure
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I had another person tell me they bought that case that Sprint Provides and it was really high-quality.

Of course you still wanna grab a screen protector in addition to a case. But good information here.
    Great case. But dirt, sand, dust, etc., will get inside and damage the black plastic on the phone. I now have 5 gauges on my phone (at the bottom) because of it.
    The review today actually says the Pixi has a hole to attach a lanyard! Made me think of you wrist strap idea
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    The review today actually says the Pixi has a hole to attach a lanyard! Made me think of you wrist strap idea
    lol I think my Wife is getting a Pixi for sure now. Hahaha
    I added a wrist strap to my Pre

Very clean. Very secure. See the movie at:
    youtube.com/watch?v=tnFoNG6gjho

forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2131825#post2131825
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12