Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    I think I'm missing something. I signed up for Google Voice because I thought it was like VOIP. I thought that as long as you had a data connection and an app like GDial Pro, you would essentially be making calls over a data connection instead of a cell connection.

Now that I actually HAVE GV and GDial Pro, when I use GDial Pro to place a call, I'm essentially using Google as a middle man to make my phone call for me? Huh? So I have to "dial" somebody, and then answer my phone - and THEN the person is actually called?

How on earth is adding steps to this process (making a call) useful? What is the utility?

Granted, I like the voicemail features - which is why I signed up anyway - but now that I'm getting the bigger picture, I don't get it.
    For me it's a huge plus because I can make calls to Canada for free. I also like that I can now use it as a replacement for Sprint Voice Mail and have a transcript of the VM sent to my phone.

Originally the biggest plus was that it allowed you to have just one in coming phone number for all your phones (work, home, cell, other).

Google Voice: 5 Reasons to Use It, 5 Reasons to Think Twice - PC World
    You now have a new, separate # that you chose. Use ur imagination. The possibilities are endless.
    Another reason besides the voicemail is the ability to give one number to your friends and family and it will ring both your home phone and cell phone... If you set it up this way.

The peeps above beat me to it.. lol
    Last edited by Ghostyroasty; 11/10/2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Ugh
    Now that you can forward your Sprint calls to Google Voice, you get something that is BETTER than visual voicemail. You get voicemail dictation.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Google voice basically removes your personal phone number from the mix. This allows you to only receive calls/voicemail from numbers you personally want.

I have personal voicemails for my wife, brother, Mom and Dad, etc. If I ever need to provide a phone number for anything, I have an alternate number that I can screen calls with. It's great.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Now that you can forward your Sprint calls to Google Voice, you get something that is BETTER than visual voicemail. You get voicemail dictation.
    Not really as good as you might think....

ahem...

your i just to see the and calling to see if you can't get anything that alright talk to you okay bye

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    How on earth is adding steps to this process (making a call) useful? What is the utility?
    You're right, *making* calls is actually more difficult. The utility is actually on the receiving side mostly. The main feature of Google Voice is that you can have a single number that rings multiple phones. The typical example is a home phone, a cell phone and a work phone. If you give everyone your Google number, then Google Voice will "find" you on any/all of those other numbers.

There are other features, like being able to filter and route phone calls based on the caller ID, and voice mail transcription. But the single-number-to-multiple-phones is the main purpose.
    I like the fact that I can be at home, answer a call and if I have to leave you can forward the call to another # like a cell and walk out the door with the conversation uninterrupted. Also, like the feature to record conversations. These are just a couple of the features I really like about Google Voice.
    . . . and you can make outgoing overseas calls at Skype-like rates, correct? I could imagine that the one-number-rings-all would be cool for traveling--you could put your hotel landline in there if you'll be at a hotel for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    I like the fact that I can be at home, answer a call and if I have to leave you can forward the call to another # like a cell and walk out the door with the conversation uninterrupted. Also, like the feature to record conversations. These are just a couple of the features I really like about Google Voice.
    still no record on outgoing, though, right?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    For me the huge draw is the voicemail transcripts. I just use gdialpro when I'm calling OUT and want my caller id to reflect my google voice number and not my cellphone.
    -m
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

ahem...

your i just to see the and calling to see if you can't get anything that alright talk to you okay bye
    I agree wholeheartedly. As I posted in another thread, even though I get the "transcript" I usually have to listen to the message anyway to find out what the REAL words were.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    still no record on outgoing, though, right?
    Correct. Last time I checked which was last week, it only worked for incoming calls. Outgoing would really make this feature awesome. Once they took over from Grand Central it took a while to get the ball rolling. However, now it seems they are more focused on Google Voice and updates are coming a little faster...
    I think I'm missing something. I signed up for Google Voice because I thought it was like VOIP. I thought that as long as you had a data connection and an app like GDial Pro, you would essentially be making calls over a data connection instead of a cell connection.

Now that I actually HAVE GV and GDial Pro, when I use GDial Pro to place a call, I'm essentially using Google as a middle man to make my phone call for me? Huh? So I have to "dial" somebody, and then answer my phone - and THEN the person is actually called?

Granted, I like the voicemail features - which is why I signed up anyway - but now that I'm getting the bigger picture, I don't get it.

I've had cell phones since 1999. Even though I plan on keeping my current cell phone number "forever", I tend to say it and then something circumstantial comes up and I end up having a new number. With Google Voice, this eliminates it.

Also, I never have to delete anything. Just imagine, you text someone and it's stored and search able. Same goes from voice messages.

This is also very good for small business owners. You can connect multiple phones to one line so you can have 1 phone ring from 8 to 5PM but then have 2 phones ring from 5-9PM and so on. It's very customizable.

I didn't understand GV at first either but now I use it as my main phone number. I also love how I can filter out spam callers.
    Call Screening
    Call Recording
    One number Alerts many lines simultaneously
    Voicemail Transcription
    Cheap foreign calls
    Keep one number even if you change numbers often
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have six active phones at the moment. I can route all my calls to whichever phone(s) I happen to be near at the time.

I can also automatically force all calls from coworkers directly to voicemail when I leave on vacation, while still receiving calls from friends and family :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post

ahem...

Which is better than just a display of who called and when, which is all you get with Visual Voicemail.

90% of my Google Voice transcriptions were good enough that I didn't need to listen to the VM before just calling the person back.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.

I use it to call other countries and, if I were to run short on minutes, I'd use it to call landlines. Because I have my gvoice number as one of my pick 3 numbers, I don't get charged for calls that I initiate through Gdial, aside from the low per minute rate for calling internationally. It takes a few seconds longer, but with Gdial, the whole process is automated, I dial a number, Gdial calls my gvoice, and the call is initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Which is better than just a display of who called and when, which is all you get with Visual Voicemail.

90% of my Google Voice transcriptions were good enough that I didn't need to listen to the VM before just calling the person back.
    I agree, it's just that visual voicemail would be a good option, perhaps even better than Google Voicemail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast