1.    #1  
    Hey guys, as a palm pre power user i'm sure most of us are, have you tried convincing a friend who isn't techie to get the pre? Only to find out that when they get it they have no idea how to use it, set it up, use advance gestures, setup email, turn off gps, background info, turn on wifi, turn down screen brightness, set speed dials, etc.. you get the picture.

I experienced this today when i convinced a friend to get the pre. I ended up spending most of the day emailing and calling her to get her set up and teach her how to do things. I surfed the forums for some tutorials but really most are pretty advanced like the tips and tricks sheet.

Why isn't there a simple "Palm pre for dummies, a beginner's guide" maybe a 30 min video tutorial on how to use the pre. I think getting everyone comfortable on how amazing this phone can be is what gets it viral and increases sales. The iphone you can hand to a child and they can figure it out. The pre, well without a hands on tutorial to my wife i don't think she'd know how to do most things. Anyone else think this?

If you can point me to a youtube video or a really simple page on how to setup things like email, calendar, etc that would be awesome.

thanks
  2.    #3  
    Thanks, but i don't think that's a practical way to learn how to use a pre for beginners. Palm should put out a series of simple youtube video tutorials on how to use the pre. buying a book isn't a realistic solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    Thanks, but i don't think that's a practical way to learn how to use a pre for beginners. Palm should put out a series of simple youtube video tutorials on how to use the pre. buying a book isn't a realistic solution.
    next time on the device type help then select clips

there are dozens of brief tutorials that do exactly what you ask.

you can also just navigate to the help icon in the app launcher.

plus the tips and tricks section has even more topics with a little more detail if you need it.
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/10/2009 at 12:14 AM.
  4.    #5  
    i know there are tutorials on the device, honestly not that great. i'm thinking more of ones on youtube so you can actually watch on your computer and mimick on the phone.
    i know there are tutorials on the device, honestly not that great. i'm thinking more of ones on youtube so you can actually watch on your computer and mimick on the phone.
    already done as well you just have to go to palms support site.

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/pre/p100eww/sprint/learn/page_en.html
    I have a pdf copy. Can someone tell me if its possible to upload on the forum? If not.. PM me and i'll email u a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdarknessb View Post
    I have a pdf copy. Can someone tell me if its possible to upload on the forum? If not.. PM me and i'll email u a copy.
    pdf of the dummies book? I thought it was copyrighted?

speaking of here, OP have you tried any of the extensive walkthroughs here on pre central? There are vids and everything. Just to augment all the available stuff from palm that fits your description.

hope it can help your friends/wife.
    its not the dummies book. Its another one called "Palm Pre: The missing manual" its a 288 pg e-book i guess. Its 9.8MB so I cant upload it as an attachment on the forums.
  9.    #10  
    don't think a housewife has time to read 288pages

Thanks Windzilla! I'll send her that.

My whole point to this is that I don't think iphone newbies need a 288 page book, but palm pre users do? it's gotta be easier to teach everyone how to use the pre and get them as excited as every one of us on this forum. that's how it's gonna win..

palm needs to make it dead simple for people to learn how to use the pre.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts

My whole point to this is that I don't think iphone newbies need a 288 page book, but palm pre users do? it's gotta be easier to teach everyone how to use the pre and get them as excited as every one of us on this forum. that's how it's gonna win..

Once you get the basic gestures down and figure out how to utilize the dropdown menu in the upper left hand corner, how hard can the phone really be to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    pdf of the dummies book? I thought it was copyrighted?

speaking of here, OP have you tried any of the extensive walkthroughs here on pre central? There are vids and everything. Just to augment all the available stuff from palm that fits your description.

hope it can help your friends/wife.

The 288 pages are there to cover everything. You already know about 90% of it, its always just helpful to skim through, and understand the overall concept.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Here is an online resource I found, not sure how good it is, only just ran across it. Hope it helps someone.

As fast as webOS is developing, I would hesitate to purchase a hard copy manual of any kind. Seems this type of book is better suited as an ebook that can be updated and re-delivered.
    Last edited by jdod; 11/10/2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Start with the links below for the Tips and Tricks (320 tips, six pages, with video links).

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/10/2009 at 10:03 PM.